aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Halite75
    Quote Originally Posted by darker hei View Post
    A newbie today needs about four weeks to achieve the same status a newbie from two years ago needed at least one year to accomplish. And they don't have to upload anything, mostly, all that needs to be done is to post in a few of the charity threads and voilĂ , you have everything most people two years ago had to actually work and wait for.

Wait being the really operative word here. I don't know why it's now necessary for people to join and have everything available to them instantly. In my opinion, this gives them much less reason to stick around. One of the attractive points to me on this forum was the fact you had things to work for. Sure, you would get gifts here and there, but this just made you hot to save and earn your own points to be able to give others fun surprises like that.

P.s. Just want to mention that I find complaints of people bidding high in auctions strange. Either everyone bids according to what they can afford, or the whole auction process is no longer an auction, but a "You may have more points than me, but even if you want this set, you should bid less than me so I can win it, it's only fair." event.

All of this ties in neatly with my previous concept. You don't have to be able to be on equal footing with everyone here, it's really not possible. I do agree that huge jumps don't have to occur in an ongoing bid unless you're reaching the final minutes and the actual war is on. ^^;; But some people bid higher to have a chance in case the end of the auction falls into a time they can't attend. So what are you going to do? I don't think the "not fair" argument can be used on auctions, though. Really.
    It took me 9 months of activity here in order to be able to buy my first L10 card here. Now I see newbies with them in the same month they joined! Yes, that's right. I actually saved my own points and bought my own L10 card. *hears newbies gasp*

I've always thought people appreciate things more when they have to work hard. Like for example, I paid for all my own University expenses and I noticed those people who were paying their own way were less likely to goof off than those who had their way paid by their parents.

Anyways, life if not fair and there is no reason to expect the distribution of "wealth" here to be fair/equal here either.

I don't see any problem with high bidders at auctions. People bid what they deem a set is worth to them. Actually, I see multi-billionaires/millionaires mostly bidding pretty "fairly" about 95% of the time. Only certain sets inspire insanely high bids. Most sets go for very reasonable amounts, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by fataltea View Post
    Absolutely. o_o I've never thought it was unfair for people to bid high. Why shouldn't they? If you have the points and are willing to spend them on a set, then I say, bid what you want. Yeah, it sucks for those that don't have a huge points balance, but it's not as if all sets will go for huge amounts. And.. really, I know I'm a set maker, and I profit from these auctions sometimes, but they're just sets. Sure, you might be in love with it when you first see it, but seriously, you know within a couple of weeks, you'll see another one that you'll think "is the best set ever". If someone outbids you to a degree at which you can no longer compete, then think of it as an opportunity to save your points for a better set in the future.
    Yep, I've actually been glad I lost a couple of times because I went insane and bid over 1 million points.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Roxas (L4)Batman (L1)Kakashi (L10)
    (S010) JokerButters (L4)Quatre (L6)
    Muraki (L8)Iruka (L8)Edward (L5)

Quote Originally Posted by darker hei View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with these ideas or the posting of them in the first place, that's what the suggestion section is for, yes? And it being aarin's final call is a given. I don't really understand the things getting blown out of proportion part, I thought we were just voicing out opinions and I don't see anyone being hostile while doing it?
    Personally, I never thought of the server load because I'm not well-versed in those areas, but since I know tchan has experience, I'm guessing she knows what she's talking about.

I don't think anyone here is trying to shoot the idea down immediately, just voicing opinions, support and concerns. ^^;;
    I don't know a lot about server stuff, either I just assume it'll take more space, of course, and everything but that's what the amazing Dai is for. I know Aarin linked him but no rush to him, really.

And some people don't actually like the idea (of new point usage in general), which is totally fine (since no one has been mean over it). I just don't want anyone to assume it's a suggestion based on hating the current system or being too rich/bored. I'm sure some people are like that but hopefully, we can avoid focusing on them.

I think the more debated thread, personally, is the September updates (with the contest cap) one. That's a whole thing on it's own

Thanks again everyone who has commented so far!

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Halite75 View Post
    It took me 9 months of activity here in order to be able to buy my first L10 card here. Now I see newbies with them in the same month they joined! Yes, that's right. I actually saved my own points and bought my own L10 card. *hears newbies gasp*

I've always thought people appreciate things more when they have to work hard. Like for example, I paid for all my own University expenses and I noticed those people who were paying their own way were less likely to goof off than those who had their way paid by their parents.

Anyways, life if not fair and there is no reason to expect the distribution of "wealth" here to be fair/equal here either.

I don't see any problem with high bidders at auctions. People bid what they deem a set is worth to them. Actually, I see multi-billionaires/millionaires mostly bidding pretty "fairly" about 95% of the time. Only certain sets inspire insanely high bids. Most sets go for very reasonable amounts, imho.

Yep, I've actually been glad I lost a couple of times because I went insane and bid over 1 million points.
    I might be just saying this out of nostalgia, but I liked working hard for my points too I know it's Aarin's decision but if something new is put into effect (whatever it is), I'd like it to be something we have to work for. Granted, I know I'm rich but I saved up my points and participate in a lot of contests to get rich enough to get a higher 1% increase in savings.

While life isn't fair with wealth, the same does apply here, like you said. That goes for cards and such. You need points to get those (or a generous donation from someone, which I think is still less common).

Hey, there's always the option to abolish points altogether too like Coffee said

p.s. sorry if i'm commenting too much on this. I just want to reply to as many people as I can and thank those who did share their thoughts
    Last edited by MiraiKurosaki; 09-05-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Yaoi Veteran

Savings

Kanda (L8)Sasuke (L12)Hiei (L2)
    Seto (L7)Bakura (L10)Vincent (L8)
    Marik Ishtar (L10)Motonari (L8)Sasuke (L7)

Quote Originally Posted by MiraiKurosaki View Post
    It doesn't have to be YaoiPets. We're just throwing ideas (anyone can) but it's up to Dai-kun because he knows how it would go down better than anyone, if something is done involving coding.
    It doesn't have to involve coding at all, really. We have at least one shop selling chibi-bishies to put in your sig. All we'd have to do is get the mods to hire that person (or recruit similar artists and officially 'support' their store) and make a shop where they sell them at scarily high prices with updates (clothing changes, different poses, etc). As long as they're put into the sigs, there's no coding involved. We might want to make the limit for sigs a little bigger, but not if they're small chibis that don't take up much space. The big issue would be finding people who can design these things, enough of them to meet the demand, and encouraging them (through gratitude and points) to do it on a regular basis.

For those not interested in pretty little things to add to sigs, Aarin could always have a contest to see who can come up with the best "Shop Idea" for something that would be supported officially by the forum, maybe even giving the winner a sticky position so it doesn't get lost among all the sig shops.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Arigatomina View Post
    It doesn't have to involve coding at all, really. We have at least one shop selling chibi-bishies to put in your sig. All we'd have to do is get the mods to hire that person (or recruit similar artists and officially 'support' their store) and make a shop where they sell them at scarily high prices with updates (clothing changes, different poses, etc). As long as they're put into the sigs, there's no coding involved. We might want to make the limit for sigs a little bigger, but not if they're small chibis that don't take up much space. The big issue would be finding people who can design these things, enough of them to meet the demand, and encouraging them (through gratitude and points) to do it on a regular basis.

For those not interested in pretty little things to add to sigs, Aarin could always have a contest to see who can come up with the best "Shop Idea" for something that would be supported officially by the forum, maybe even giving the winner a sticky position so it doesn't get lost among all the sig shops.
    That's a cute idea too. I've seen those shops and personally, find them really adorable. I have a couple myself from a long time ago Working with something like that is a great option as well.

At the least, it helps with the coding issue Thanks for the input. ^^

Yaoi Devotee

Savings

Gojo Satoru (L9)Starrk (L9)Theodore (L2)
    November (L8)Thane Krios (L7)Munechika (L9)
    Kirishima Zen (L10)Kakashi (L8)Dino (L9)

Yesssss, me as well. I spent months uploading anime, stalking requests, and doing contests to make my first million points and subsequently buy my first lv 10 card. And I also remember the first card I received as a gift -- just by a random forumer who happened to see that I liked a particular character. Both were awesome, and these things just don't happen that much anymore. Receiving a card just isn't as special as it used to be and that's very disappointing.

I'm even starting to wonder if the card giveaway threads should be limited in some way, but I'm sure there would be tons of complaints about that as well.

I'm not fussed about people bidding high on auctions either. What bothers me is the rapid increase in auction spending. When the auction section was first introduced, the amounts being paid were significantly lower than they are now. It just highlights how crazy the forum inflation problem is. But far be it from me to criticize people for bidding high on stuff they like -- I do it on a regular basis myself ;D

I'm not too into the idea of something similar to "yaoipets" personally but I am definitely in favour of some kind of new card level as long as it's super expensive and out of reach for most -- it'll allow more points to go back into the forum void.

Kadaj_chan
    it took me 2 years for a L10 XD *hears Le gasp oh even more*

I think I like the idea of yaoipets I mean the new kinda cards if animated or not are going to be cards still,ne? XD so, I don't think it will bring that much of a huge change...of course if the animated ones are Kaname and Zero kissing which are NOT that's a different matter the animated ones are going to be shiny or some thing like that,ne?
    so not that much of a huge change
    I mean yeah...it will be expensive and out of reach like old days of Ishop...but it is still Ishop-related ,ne?

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Gyokuyou (female) (L1)Roy Mustang (L10)Mato (L2)
    Kuugen (female) (L1)Firion (L2)Gyokuyou (L1)
    Kagami (L4)Balthier (L6)Star 1 (Silver)

hahaha, I agree with darker_hei mostly. And regarding lv10 cards *looks at Kadaj and Halite*, it took me almost 2 years to get my first lv10 card as well, and it was (only) gifted to me. XD

Regarding the auction prizes: I'm a bit annoyed that they're so hight currently, and it's oblivious that new members can't get their share with the things are at the moment. But I think that is OK. It's just as life is, you can't get everything out of nothing, you have to "work" (in a way) for them. You get the picture.

Regarding new usage for Points: I really don't want to offend anyone here, but I don't see a reason why the staff members should put up new features, just because the max. limit of points allowed to use on contests are cut short. It sounds like.. the fun of browsing the forum is linked (in a very strange way, I daresay) with the points one has. If you really want to spend your points in a generous way, found a silent donator group and give it to those who want to submit whatever cards. Make new requests.
    Or just leave them be. After all, the fun of holding a contest isn't necessary linked to the amount of points you give out, is it? So why is the forum suddenly more boring just because we can't give out more points to our liking? Is having more points than before really that much of an annoyance? XD

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Kadaj_chan View Post
    it took me 2 years for a L10 XD *hears Le gasp oh even more*

I think I like the idea of yaoipets I mean the new kinda cards if animated or not are going to be cards still,ne? XD so, I don't think it will bring that much of a huge change...of course if the animated ones are Kaname and Zero kissing which are NOT that's a different matter the animated ones are going to be shiny or some thing like that,ne?
    so not that much of a huge change
    I mean yeah...it will be expensive and out of reach like old days of Ishop...but it is still Ishop-related ,ne?
    That was the idea, more or less to have something that wasn't card-related since these new cards are, supposedly, still card-related from what I've seen Even Arigatomina's idea is interesting. And hopefully it would be pricier too.

I know regardless, it'll take time and work, but if it ever came out, I know a handful of people ready to help if they could. I'm still curious to see the new cards though they'll be coming out slowly

Quote Originally Posted by Himmelmez View Post
    Regarding new usage for Points: I really don't want to offend anyone here, but I don't see a reason why the staff members should put up new features, just because the max. limit of points allowed to use on contests are cut short. It sounds like.. the fun of browsing the forum is linked (in a very strange way, I daresay) with the points one has. If you really want to spend your points in a generous way, found a silent donator group and give it to those who want to submit whatever cards. Make new requests.
    Or just leave them be. After all, the fun of holding a contest isn't necessary linked to the amount of points you give out, is it? So why is the forum suddenly more boring just because we can't give out more points to our liking? Is having more points than before really that much of an annoyance? XD
    I don't think anyone should get offended by that And, like I said somewhere earlier, it was only inspired by the contest caps-that's just how the conversation took off.

The idea isn't to just find something to do with the mass amount of points people are getting but just to see if there's something fun and new to do with them. Some people don't like the idea, which is fine, but I take no offense to it They're just points after all (wish it was real money though )

Thanks again everyone

Mordor
    Making new things to the forum takes lot of time and effort, and in some cases even real money (vbulletin costs you know), so I'm not in favor of any changes.
    However, if there is changes happening, like new level of cards, I was wondering, instead of animation, could it be possible to just change the card-style a bit? Like it'd be designed differently, even tho it would be same size than the current ones. In that way, it would give a reason on why these cards would cost more. Because I'm not really wild about animated cards, I think they'd be annoying to the eyes ^^;;
    There could be a suggestion-contest or something similar, since af is filled with PS-skilled people. And then people would vote their favorite..

Other ways to help the inflation, would of course limit the interest. Like, the cap could be made smaller, or that for now, those who already have over 100mil points, wouldn't get interest for now.. I know it's not fair, but that's a way to get the difference between members narrowed. No option at this point would be completely fair, but I think we all can agree on the fact that the points-system has lost it's value and something needs to be done.

Other ways would be bringing the card submission-prices back up, that way Aarin could have it easier, to keep up with them as well and all.
    Or put the already existing cards prizes higher.
    I know limits are rarely fun, but we need to support the staffs decisions, because in the end, they are just doing what they do in order to make sure this place will stay fun for everyone.

It's allowed to make suggestions, and I think it's good that you are trying to come up with something new, but keep in mind that nothing like WoY etc. is not easy to make, and it doesn't come ready. Making up yaoipets etc. would be a long process and dai's not around yet
    Last edited by Mordor; 09-07-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Aarin - Busy

Savings

Spacer 1PochitaSpacer 1
    (S096) Rei IzumiHeart 6 (Devil)(S095) Towa
    (S097) Misaki(S099) Dick Burnford(S098) Yuto Lennix

Mordor, I think animated card is not the annoying ones you were thinking, cuz I myself don't really want those too animated ones to be there, since it's very distracting. That's why the new animated card is something "standard" in terms of animation. It's all made possible by Otome, who has sent in samples of it to me... many ppl love it, but not everyone knows about it yet ^^ So it's gonna be a surprise for those who doesn't know.

Ya I am not gonna implement things like WoY unless I got a full control over it.

Do wait for my announcement for the new way of using points... something simple for now. But I do like the ideas suggested on this thread too, we can test it out when we are able to.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast