aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

..:: Ai no Kusabi ::..

1. helenae
    helenae
    Blind_Kira, since you mentioned drawings in the novel - what do you think of the way Riki is depicted in the ova (and in the remake as well)? He's around 15 (!) when the story starts and he's supposed to be SLIM and again they are drawing a muscular guy in his 20s...
  2. Blind_Kira
    Blind_Kira
    Yeah, I've always wondered about that myself. He completely does not look his supposed age to me, not to mention his looks do not change as he grows older, and from his age growing up there always are rather noticeable differences, but then I thought, it made their relationship have a different tone, somehow. I mean, looks are not that important, ok, but looks is what you first notice, so if Riki looked smaller, thinner, more frail somehow, it would have took away from the chemistry of it all. He looks like a mature man to me, he looks strong willed, even strong, there's nothing of a boy-ish charm in him, it's like...charismatic, brute masculine glow, somehow. It makes Iason more of a master, by depicting Riki as more of a man, perhaps.
    Would it have struck me the same if Riki looked like a skinny, boy-ish, more feminine guy instead of a rather well built man? I couldn't say... for me, part of the charm of the OVA was exactly this real man-more than man relationship type.
    Story-wise, I would have loved the plot without the OVA, but I admit I read the book after seeing the OVA so it surely influenced my opinion of the book itself.

In the end, I’d say it shows the view of the OVA’s creators, their perspective on it perhaps. I think we should take into consideration that too much of a boy would have made the story somehow socially harder to accept, I mean we have to think of the time when it was given light, so to speak. I’m thinking man to man love story is controversial enough back then, not to mention a man to boy one. Society is the most hypocritical thing ever, we get our kicks out of things we like but keep all hush-hush.

Anyways, that’s what I think. What about you?
  3. makiyuki
    makiyuki
    This is off topic of the discussion (an interesting subject).
    Iason and Riki are behind in the Yaoi Best Couple Poll. If anyone is interesting in voting here is the link.
  4. Shippou-chan
    Shippou-chan
    I found a bit about the remake here:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10568

It's not much yet, but there is a little pic. And some infos here:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...c-anime-remake
  5. ldb1987
    ldb1987
    they make a cute couple.....
  6. Blind_Kira
    Blind_Kira
    10x for the links, Shippou-chan
  7. UllaBritta
    UllaBritta
    @blind_kira, In the AnK world, relationships between men and boys aren't uncommon (the pets the elite's have are around 14-18 it seems) so it's not that controversial that Riki and Iason are a couple. Even if Riki is underage he still is considered a man and not a child and has experienced a sexual relationship before meeting Iason. Iason simply took it to the next level. It's all about the social raknings that are a problem. How AnK is viewed in the RL, well, I have never heard anyone say anything about Riki's age and THAT being the problem. He does grow up and he is 18-19 I think in the end of the series, even so he was never the typical teenager to begin with. So yes, making Riki look 'manly' in OVA's might have made the little detail of him being underage easier to swallow, if they had known that is. They don't even mention his age do they? If I remember right they only tell you that he was with Iason for 3 years.... The master/slave part might be more controversial I believe. And the fascistic world that they live in.
  8. ldb1987
    ldb1987
    me and iason forever.... he is so sexii....
  9. Winkinator
    Winkinator
    I had to join... *loves Riki* hehheh i feel so identified wif him... XD and also I heart Kira!! *loves the Demonness!* I personally like Taming Riki a lot :3
  10. Tsume_09
    Tsume_09
    I joined this group because Ai No Kusabi was my introduction to the yaoi/shounen ai world and it has made an ever lasting impression on me as an extremely touching love between Iason and Riki. It was further press into my mind when I discover Taming Riki by Kira. But while Iason and Riki stories touch me so deeply, it was Katze who made me really cry. Nonetheless, Ai No Kusabi is magnificent beyond words with its characters and plot and of course the drama. I love anyone who love this and thus, I love you all. Anyone who can love this, is a gem in my eyes. No matter the flaws that many of you have found in this, it is still so very amazing. Perfection is all that you know.
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast