aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Stalker Haven: 18+

1. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    I know me too but can we effectively review a wip? What ya think? Should it be by chap or based on complete chaps..
  2. Nachtwind
    Nachtwind
    Mhmmmm...I don't think it should be by chaps, because I am trying to motivate other readers to debate and talk inside the threads again. If we have some kind of review/discussion thread on each chapter, I fear the conversation in the actual thread itself might suffer from it.

About reviewing a WIP....>.> I guess you're right, afterall you never know what the author might come up with and if you'll always love the fic the way you do now or if it will stay as fluffy/dark/angsty etc. as it started out *taps cheek*
    Maybe if you really want to review it -- and don't mind to get the story spoiled for yourself -- you could talk to the author and ask how things are going to change, what will happen and about the end. Then you are able to estimate if the fic stays mainly in the same style and plotline, BUT of course the story is spoiled for you then >.> You shouldn't give away the ending to others though, it would only be a way to get a better picture of the whole concept if you want to review a WIP

Then again the reviews might motivate others to read it, which is the main reason why we wanna do this, right?

So I think we should focus on completed fics, but if someone likes to review a WIP it should be fine *nods*

Maybe we could start this idea as a topic in this group and see how it goes if we advertise it a bit, just to try it out. ^___^ I mean, stalking and reviewing is what this group is about anyway. Of course we'll have to let people know, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

BTW! Is it just me, or why can't I find the 'Story of the Month' nomination/voting threads anymore? *blinks*
    edit: Oh *lol* just checked and found the nominating and voting for april --- but I didn't find it in march, or was there just none last month?
  3. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    There was NO SOTM for march lol
    I agree, with you WIP's *hummm* I'm apprehensive for the same reason that you suggested it...what if we did a poll to find out how many ppl would want a blunt review of their "completed" story..

As a whole anyone can add a reveiew...anyone can join this group...
    Although I think some boundaries/structure should be taken into consideration..

For ex I do not think anyone should say: "It sucks,...stop writing!"

LMAO! I dont know what I would do if I got a review like that.. *makes me laugh though, I'm a sadist*

We can also decide as a group which stories to review, only if the author wants, to avoid potential *issues* ppl on Aarin are so sensitive..its because they are mostly women..=__= I just dont understand the animal..

let me sleep I'll think on it some more. Thank you for you thoughts, do these little distractions help you write more? ..
  4. Nachtwind
    Nachtwind
    >_____________> That explains why I was searching in vain the last month

Hmmm...yea, I think it would be more considerate to ask authors beforehand. I think it should be no problem and most authors won't mind if a happy reader reviews their story. If anything I, as a reader, would like to give some of my fav authors on here some credit. So far I always recommend stories to friends only if they ask me for a suggestion^^

I agree, we should give a limit to what you're allowed to say, after all, reviews are very subjective points of views anyway. I. e. I would probably review a story many people like quite bad and the other way round So I suggest every reader would have to have the 'OK GO' of the author. I for my part wouldn't want someone to review my stories that I have never seen in any of my threads^^
    If we say that you need the permission in general I think it will prevent any *issues* in the first place and it's not much of a bother.
    (.....................*COUGH* as a sidenote, I always thought you were female *lmfao*)

*pats head* Yea get some sleep before work!
    Oh and it doesn't help me write, but as a matter of fact, I easily let myself get distracted >.> Got to work on that *ahem*
  5. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    Watch your mouth!! Actually nuff said...lol
    im for it, we can poll to determine interest or just start a thread for authors to post links to their work for "what" do we call it ^^? If they would like a review...and we will layout the judging criteria...
    I think directing writers to post *here* maybe a good idea...although the actual review should go under a thread in the fiction rec forum...i'll think on some criteria/areas of review and layout details.
    I still got contest fic & wips, with script challenge...
  6. Nachtwind
    Nachtwind
    lol My bad *mumbles*
    Mmmm...I think we should rather adress the readers than the authors, after all they are the ones who will write the reviews and so on and I don't think many authors would volunteer and ask for a review (well, maybe I'm wrong^^)
    But it would be of advantage to settle it into the readers hands because this way you automatically involve the people reviewing.
    So we should rather ask how many people would like to be able to suggest and review stories for others. (authors can want reviews as much as they want; if there is no one willing to review -> no review^^)
    I think we could add both in a poll though, like: 'would you like to review/get reviewed'

It also would be good if we had some criterias that must be answered so you get a fast overall view on the fic before you go into details, pretty much like a characteristics/wanted poster for the fic and not only one page text.

Jeebus, you have alot going on here I guess it's fine though when we start once april is over, this way we can work out the details ^__^
  7. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    Thanks Nacht...
    If you think we should do poll to garner interest that might be a way to go..

I only thought to involve authors so we are not doing a critical review on a story that author can't handle or does not want... ^^ I know a few writers that do not desire that type of scrutiny..

When you say target readers, you mean gain others interested in completing a through review? I agree,
    The Poll should allow more than one answer and include
    I am an author and I would like my stories critically reviews
    I am a reader and I would like to critically review a stories
    I would not like any of my work reviewed

I'm going to google the criteria we should cover in a proper review...

And I agree with you it should be be more than a page in length at the least but we can do some sample reviews and see how much info we cover before we put expectations on those involved.. Do you have a story you'd like us to test? By an author you know wont mind..: =) I think one of Melody's stories would be perfect for this experiment. Even if its long I can squeeze in read time over the next month..

brb...
  8. ghettoe
    ghettoe
    chris: I am totally interested in a story review thread. I REPEAT I AM TOTALLY INTERESTED IN A STORY REVIEW THREAD. Though I highly doubt people will like my reviews.
  9. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    Well according to OrangeWillow constructive criticism is ok ^^ so weather they like them or not thats not our issue. But we dont want to make a process that people complain and consider biased.. so I would rather have the authors the request their stories be reviewed, under the panel..participate. Knowing full well that not all reviewers will give positive insight about their story.

So what do you think, and do you know others that would be willing to give a through review. I posted some of the details we want in a *true* review. Not the short *things* many do now after reading an update. I want it, I would love if this is really serious. Any one may join the fiction review as long as they are willing to give a complete/through/and professional review.

Do you think we should do a poll in the writers lounge...
  10. ghettoe
    ghettoe
    When I start a new story I'll most definately request a review. There are some people who don't like review, some are okay with it. I don't really know if alot of people will sign up for it. I guess we'll just see.
    ps. How do you critique a story that has good writing, no technical errors, yet is just so boring, as in the boring to the point where it could be used for toture.
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast