1. orchidsforlunch
    orchidsforlunch
    hello minna-san!
  2. eliddell
    eliddell
    ::waves at orchidsforlunch::
  3. melodysnow
    melodysnow
    hey sweetie.. its been so quiet around here *shouts and listens to the echo*
  4. Hisoka4me
    Hisoka4me
    Yay, I just noticed this club and since I wrote 1 fan-fiction that sucks and I write poetry that sometimes doesn't suck I figure I should join and get tips from all the good writers
  5. Pervie Priestess
    Pervie Priestess
    Yo wassup! I joined a awhile ago! because I saw my folks in here!!! I'm a poet by trade but slowly began to write Yaoi as a ploy to get me writing! Now, I'm a second year writer and a coming up on my first year anniversary for Yaoi!

Hisoka: Don't look at it like that! A poet's voice and a writer's voice are more alike than you know. It's just a matter of you figuring out what works for you!

What helped me was starting with reading fanfiction then, coming across great writers like Iron Metal Dog, SilverBlueDolphin, Awa, Cykotykes, StarkBlack, Renjifan and and CMC42 from LJ. All of them have particularly different voices in which they use to tell stories and it helps to read others to kinda grasp the type nuances that you like about reading their stuff. By finding out what you enjoy will most like introduce you to your particular wrting style. And yes, it is trial and error, nothing happens overnight. Send me a link and let me read! OK? Concrit will be given only!
  6. Hisoka4me
    Hisoka4me
    see I just joined and I'm already getting good advice
  7. Miko
    Miko
    Hey peeps, I know I hardly ever come here - but here's a quick "heads-up"

The Lovely Angels Fiction Challenge: "Atonement"

WINNERS HAVE BEEN POSTED

Read the stories at http://www.savageflower.com
  8. shigrl
    shigrl
    @eliddell

I was in Clarion East at MSU. Now, of course, there is only one Clarion on the west coast, but it is now 6 weeks like Clarion east was in the past. Clarion west in the past was always only two weeks, so it was easier to do for most people. The problem was getting in. You had to send stories, and they were read by the director and the writers who then picked the participants.

But it is still an experience that is worthwhile if you can clear your life away for 6 weeks.

Wanna say hello to all those who are new here. Computer died and I have been off while the techs tried to save it rather than replace it. But it is back and so am I for better or worse, your choice.
  9. orchidsforlunch
    orchidsforlunch
    as i writer, i have major issues. at first, i write the stories and poetry for myself. then, after somebody reads it and comments on it, i start being dependent on their comments. not so much for the plot development, but as a sort of encouragement to write. it's rather frustrating that i'm like this. T.T

anyway, has anyone here ever tried to write a screenplay? just curious.
  10. shigrl
    shigrl
    @ orchidsforlunch

I did for Sundance, but it read more like a novel than a screenplay, lol. Everyone loved the story and told me to develop it perhaps into a novel, which might turn into a screenplay.

My friend writes screenplays and has a lot of good materials. Mostly she did a lot of research and just wrote. As for critique, it is easy to become dependent on readers, but they should not be telling you exactly what to add as what does not work for them.

Like with one of my latest stories, my reader said that he viewed the character as more female in the second half of the story, which wasn't bad since he had changed genders. But he also said I made the "bad" guy too unrealistic toward the end--bad just to be bad--and that I needed to change. I didn't want a dummy in place of a real character. But his comments inspired me to add several more scenes.One in which the character becomes a human female and messes with the "bad guy" to show motivation. Which will actually make him a more sympathic character.

So I would say to let the comments sit and see what works with your knowledge of the characters and not the way your reader might want the story to go. Hope that helps.
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast