aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Men crying

1. dharmaserenity
    dharmaserenity
    Ok, I write men that cry. And yet I started this group. It's because I feel that there is a line between a man crying, feeling something painful and not being afraid to express it or the emotion is so overwhelming he cannot hold back. Yet I really hate it when a man (usually uke) is weeping at every little thing (and especially during SEX! EEWWWW).

So, where do we draw the line? What is too much crying? What is acceptible? Is any crying done by a man in fanfic too much? How do you feel about men crying in general?
  2. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    I feel I write men crying too much. In fact shattered once edited one of my chapters because I wrote Byakuya running off into the woods and crying. Yep. I really wrote that. I'm throwing myself under the bus with that one. But I deserve it.

Maybe it's because I am a crier? I get beat down so easily. And when I'm writing my characters, if I really feel the pain they're experiencing, it makes me want to cry, so voila! here come the tears.

That said, I like when male characters cry. I obviously love when semes cry because it shows a wonderful vulnerability. I don't mind ukes crying either, but it's surprisingly easy to just slip into that over-ukefied experience and find yourself suddenly writing a "guy" who is crying during his first kiss lol (Okay I exaggerate :P)

Since ukes are men, real men, especially if they're well-written, it's just as moving when they cry. But yup, it can be overdone.

I don't know why IN A MILLION YEARS someone would write a character crying during sex. Unless the person is being raped or experienced emotional trauma. But none of that Misaki-writhing-helplessly-under-Usagi crap, thank you!!
  3. dharmaserenity
    dharmaserenity
    lol the best effect is at climax when the tears sparkle into the air as they throw their heads back lol. Yuck.

One of my first fics was a cry fest. I've had some really manly ukes cry even too much. I'd like to think I evolved as a writer so that not even my ukes cry as much any more, but I still feel there are times when it is good for man to cry and I even like reading it, that vulnerability thing you mentioned.
  4. jeun-chan
    jeun-chan
    I like it when my favorite characters cry. Some sadistic and twisted part of me enjoys it a lot. Just not when they over do it. In fact I love it when Hijikata from Gintama cries, makes me wanna squee.
    If blondie from Okane no Gai or something like that cries, it just makes me wanna slap him and drag him into a shrink's office to get over his issues.
  5. dharmaserenity
    dharmaserenity
    Hijikata crying?! Agh I can't picture it lol.
  6. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    I don't know; MAYBE in like a death fic or something Tears of grief and all...
  7. jeun-chan
    jeun-chan
    Hijikata cries about the weirdest things. The Yakuza vs Alien movie had him crying in the actual episode and the Gin-sensei ep when Gin told them to go watch Yakuza vs Alien. And the Neighbour Pedro movie in that episode where two assasins were after him (you know the one with sauna). And as Tosshi he cries some more too!
  8. kaethar
    kaethar
    I like the hurt/comfort aspect a story can have and don't really mind tears as long as they are caused by something realistic) What I dislike is characters crying for no reason. A character can cry if their feelings are hurt in a big way. Like if they are dumped after a long relationship. But getting teary-eyed because your love interest does not look at you does NOT MAKE SENSE (unless you're a girl and pms-ing). -.-
  9. dharmaserenity
    dharmaserenity
    I do like it when a bishie does look hurt and may try hard not to show tears if the one he loves is mean or hurtful to him. It's touching
  10. UllaBritta
    UllaBritta
    I agree, those Uke's need to grow some balls and stop crying during the f*cking sex! The hell?! If I was the seme, I would panick and not know what to do, not to mention feel really bad, if the uke looks like I'm slowly destroying his soul. One cries if one has a reason to cry, not because 'Ooooh It feels tooooo goooood, I can't take iiiit, I must show my intense pleasure with the mis-use of TEARS!!'

I mean, I could handle it if it happened now and then, the same way I could handle doe-eyed ukes, but not every frickin' time! They can have sex 1645 times and they STILL cry! UGH!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast