Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Katsuya (L10)Light (L10)Squall (L10)
    (S008) ShuichiHijikata (L8)Dante (L8)
    Onizuka (L1)Asami (L10)(S006) Klaus
    Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    You could try the easiest thing of all.

Use Windows Movie Maker. It comes free with most of the computers that use Windows.

Count how many minutes the video is and equally divide it into 5 clips using WMM. If each file is bigger than the files size you want it, you could cut it into even smaller parts until you get what you want.

That's what I would do in your situation. I hope this helps ^^;
    Thanks but it doesn't take .3gp files

Quote Originally Posted by eliddell View Post
    VirtualDub is a free Windows-based editor for .avi files. Its cousin VirtualDubMod has a near-identical interface and also handles .mkv and .ogm . If you're starting with a .3gp file, you may have to convert it before you can use this software--I'm not familiar with the internal details of the format, so it might be yet another version of mpeg4+avi, but I wouldn't really bet on it.

VirtualDub can certainly be used to split files, but it will not automatically divide a file into chunks of a certain size. In order to use it for what you want, you'll have to select the part of your video file you don't want in the current 40MB chunk, select Edit > Delete, and then save the remaining video with appropriate encoding settings--and then start all over again to get the other four chunks. And it might take more than one try to get the exact file size you want.

You will have to use a video editor of some sort to do the splitting if you want to end up with smaller playable video files, though--a straight file-splitter won't do it, because most video codecs place vital information at the beginning and/or the end of the files they create.
    Thanks, a lot of details and everything sounds so complicated. I'll definitely try what you say when I have more time.

Quote Originally Posted by accatone View Post
    Precise what format is your video file and we will give you the solution in 5 secs.
    Anyway if it's avi or mpeg use THIS
    Hey~ just wondering what the link in my profile page leads to? Does it take .3gp? Thanks anyway~

*thanks everyone*

-ChronoSphinx
    Last edited by ChronoSphinx; 09-25-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

I just had a quick look at the details of the 3gp format--looks like it's a specialized variation on the MP4 format. You'll probably have to convert your file to something more usual (avi, etc) before splitting it with any of the software suggested so far. Unfortunately, the only free converter I have on hand which accepts 3gp as an input is maybe mencoder, and it's a real bear to use if you've never dealt with command-line software before. (Actually, it's a bit of a bear even if you use a lot of CLI software . . .) Hopefully, someone else will have a better idea.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Joutarou (L2)(S001) Endo(S002) Misaki
    (S003) Lelouch(S004) Taki(S005) Valdrigue
    (S006) Klaus(S007) RebornSuzuki-san
    Click Here

I have found you this site which could convert files (including 3gp) and split them. I'm not sure about the splitting part because I have not tried it before but just incase it dowsn't work, you could convert the file to AVI/WMV and use WMM to split it like I said in my last post.

*Cross fingers* Hope this helps!~ ^_^

Yaoi Lover
    India, though I'd go anywhere with my computer and networks ^_^
    Savings

Ace (L5)Heart 1 (Blue)Luffy (L10)
    Sebastian (L13)Shanks (L8)Gray (L9)
    Sanzo (L10)Zoro (L7)Sanji (L9)

Erm, I think I missed something somewhere. Is your original file of .3gp format and you want to break it down in 5 files? Or is it that it is of some other video format and you want to convert and break it down in 5 files? Because it kind of doesn't make much sense to convert .3gp to any other split-able video format as it uses much less bits to store a video file than any other. So you can't/shouldn't convert .3gp to any other video file format as mostly, there won't be anything available for that, and if you find something by chance, it will mess up with the video quality to quite a visible extent.

In case your file is in any other video format, you could also use XiliSoft or Zealotsoft though I'll prefer you use VirtualDub because it's more of a tried and tested product. Oh and, if you want to convert files to other formats, your best bet has got to be Super - it's definitely one of the best converters I came across.

Okay~ hope this all helps!

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Katsuya (L10)Light (L10)Squall (L10)
    (S008) ShuichiHijikata (L8)Dante (L8)
    Onizuka (L1)Asami (L10)(S006) Klaus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Phoenix View Post
    Erm, I think I missed something somewhere. Is your original file of .3gp format and you want to break it down in 5 files? Or is it that it is of some other video format and you want to convert and break it down in 5 files? Because it kind of doesn't make much sense to convert .3gp to any other split-able video format as it uses much less bits to store a video file than any other. So you can't/shouldn't convert .3gp to any other video file format as mostly, there won't be anything available for that, and if you find something by chance, it will mess up with the video quality to quite a visible extent.

In case your file is in any other video format, you could also use XiliSoft or Zealotsoft though I'll prefer you use VirtualDub because it's more of a tried and tested product. Oh and, if you want to convert files to other formats, your best bet has got to be Super - it's definitely one of the best converters I came across.

Okay~ hope this all helps!

Haha confusing..I know. But to answer your question, the original file format is .3gp and I wanna split it up to 5 different (smaller) 3gp files. People are saying to convert 3gp to other file formats because most splitting programs don't split 3gp. They were suggesting to convert to something like avi then split then convert back to 3gp. And yes, I think the vid quality will reduce every time you convert so that's why I think I wanna give up. Too much trouble. So... those links you just posted can't split 3gp?

Yaoi Lover
    India, though I'd go anywhere with my computer and networks ^_^
    Savings

Ace (L5)Heart 1 (Blue)Luffy (L10)
    Sebastian (L13)Shanks (L8)Gray (L9)
    Sanzo (L10)Zoro (L7)Sanji (L9)

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoSphinx View Post
    Haha confusing..I know. But to answer your question, the original file format is .3gp and I wanna split it up to 5 different (smaller) 3gp files. People are saying to convert 3gp to other file formats because most splitting programs don't split 3gp. They were suggesting to convert to something like avi then split then convert back to 3gp. And yes, I think the vid quality will reduce every time you convert so that's why I think I wanna give up. Too much trouble. So... those links you just posted can't split 3gp?
    Heh, okay, got that! xD Well, about the softwares I mentioned, it says that they can split .3gp in their summaries but I'm not sure what all is allowed in the free versions. I'm downloading both of them right now so I'll get back to you in an hour or so. ^^ VirtualDub doesn't support such a splitting as far as I know but I've heard of another variation of it which does support some other formats than MPEG and AVI so I'll check that out as well.

Edit : Okay, I downloaded the full version of Xilisoft and it worked for me. I've VMed the link to you~
    Last edited by Jade Phoenix; 09-27-2008 at 05:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12