aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Katsuya (L10)Light (L10)Squall (L10)
    (S008) ShuichiHijikata (L8)Dante (L8)
    Onizuka (L1)Asami (L10)(S006) Klaus

[SOLVED] Splitting Files Problem

Sorry if there is already a thread like this but I used the search button for "split" and it came up with nothing.

I want to split a 200 mb video file into 40mb bits. I want 5 video files of 40mb. I can't use hjsplit because to join the files, I would need all 5 parts of it. (I've already tried just joining the .001 and .002 bits only but the video just won't play.)

So, what free software out there that you guys would recommend?

Thanks in advance,
    ChronoSphinx

EDIT: Thanks to Jade Phoenix, the problem has been solved. Thanks once more!
    Last edited by ChronoSphinx; 09-27-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Aki (L7)Sono (L3)Sunao (L2)
    Mikoto (L3)Ueno (L5)Seiji (L2)
    Sanzo (L10)Shinichirou (L8)
    One way is to delete the .001 and .002 from the file name and then it should work as any avi or rm file. Then use hjsplit to split the small parts both to the sizes you want.

I'm not sure if there is any better way to do it but that's how I did when I had similar situation

Oh yeah, you wanna know?

Savings

Kakashi (L10)Iruka (L8)Katou (L9)
    Iwaki (L9)Yuki Eiri (L9)Sanzo (L10)
    Yamato B (L8)(S021) RikiSoubi (L10)

Have you tried splitting with VirtualDub before? It may take some time 'cause you'd have to do all five seperately, but it definitely works.

Darn, there was that other program I once used for file splitting, let me try to remember which one it was.

*edit*

It wasn't what I was looking for, but WinAvi lets you split files too. Or do you need an application that still allows you to merge the files again after splitting?
    Last edited by Lent; 09-21-2008 at 05:58 AM.

R4
    Formerly Russell4
    Savings

Yonekuni (L3)Xanxus (L10)Light (L10)
    Dante (L9)Matt (L2)Aizen (L1)
    Grimmjow (L6)Nagai (L4)Honda (L6)
    Which video format are you using? AVI, MPEG, RM or something else?

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Lent View Post
    Have you tried splitting with VirtualDub before? It may take some time 'cause you'd have to do all five seperately, but it definitely works.

Darn, there was that other program I once used for file splitting, let me try to remember which one it was.

*edit*

It wasn't what I was looking for, but WinAvi lets you split files too. Or do you need an application that still allows you to merge the files again after splitting?
    VirtualDub... nope haven't tried it before. What do mean "have to do all five separately"? Is is a free program?

I think I've used WinAvi before, but just once. I thought it was a file converter? I didn't know it could split files. I don't have it any more because it only converted half the file coz I got the free trial version I think...

No, I don't want to merge the file. I want 5 little files which can be played on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by R4 View Post
    File format is .3gp - for phone.

Thanks for replying!
    -ChronoSphinx

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Lent View Post

*edit*

VirtualDub... nope haven't tried it before. What do mean "have to do all five separately"? Is is a free program?

I think I've used WinAvi before, but just once. I thought it was a file converter? I didn't know it could split files. I don't have it any more because it only converted half the file coz I got the free trial version I think...

No, I don't want to merge the file. I want 5 little files which can be played on my phone.

edit: I just got the WinAvi video capture. But I have no idea how to use it. .__________________.

Quote Originally Posted by R4 View Post
    File format is .3gp - for phone.

Thanks for replying!
    -ChronoSphinx

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by neitoperhonen View Post
    One way is to delete the .001 and .002 from the file name and then it should work as any avi or rm file. Then use hjsplit to split the small parts both to the sizes you want.

I'm not sure if there is any better way to do it but that's how I did when I had similar situation
    I did that for a mp3 file once and it worked, but for some reason it doesn't for video files?

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Joutarou (L2)(S001) Endo(S002) Misaki
    (S003) Lelouch(S004) Taki(S005) Valdrigue
    (S006) Klaus(S007) RebornSuzuki-san
    You could try the easiest thing of all.

Use Windows Movie Maker. It comes free with most of the computers that use Windows.

Count how many minutes the video is and equally divide it into 5 clips using WMM. If each file is bigger than the files size you want it, you could cut it into even smaller parts until you get what you want.

That's what I would do in your situation. I hope this helps ^^;

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

VirtualDub is a free Windows-based editor for .avi files. Its cousin VirtualDubMod has a near-identical interface and also handles .mkv and .ogm . If you're starting with a .3gp file, you may have to convert it before you can use this software--I'm not familiar with the internal details of the format, so it might be yet another version of mpeg4+avi, but I wouldn't really bet on it.

VirtualDub can certainly be used to split files, but it will not automatically divide a file into chunks of a certain size. In order to use it for what you want, you'll have to select the part of your video file you don't want in the current 40MB chunk, select Edit > Delete, and then save the remaining video with appropriate encoding settings--and then start all over again to get the other four chunks. And it might take more than one try to get the exact file size you want.

You will have to use a video editor of some sort to do the splitting if you want to end up with smaller playable video files, though--a straight file-splitter won't do it, because most video codecs place vital information at the beginning and/or the end of the files they create.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Koko Hekmatyar (L5)Re-L Mayer (L3)Sion (L7)
    Nai (L6)Alois (L6)Ciel (L9)
    Strawberry Cake 1Ramen 1Lin Xianming (L8)

Precise what format is your video file and we will give you the solution in 5 secs.
    Anyway if it's avi or mpeg use THIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast