aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

..:: Ai no Kusabi ::..

1. Shippou-chan
    Shippou-chan
    Ready for a Novel review (vol. 1)?
    It's very interesting, especially the parts about wrong translation (example: orig. = Dana-Bahn and wrong = Dana-Burn). This review is very good written and explains a lot.
    http://ainokusabi.atspace.com/articles/novel-rev.html
  2. Hakucho
    Hakucho
    Well, the thing with Dana Bahn and Dana Burn is actually the mix between the pronounciations of the spelling of words. You see the Japanese have 3 ways of writing (we battle this problem all the time when dealing with their way of writing foreign words 'cause they have problems with the names and we end up having to order loads of stuff over and over due to misprinting). There is the traditional way of writing, which has many origins in the Chinese characters and still they can read it although not speak it the same, then you have the Japanese characters which look differently but has it's stems in Japanese only and then you have the writing of "pronounciations". For instance my name is spelled I-SU-TE-LU, which is the closest they come to how my name is pronounced. ISUTELU is not at all how I would wite my name, but if you pronounce it fast enough it sounds pretty close to what it should be like.

In this case Dana Burn becomes Dana Bahn in wirting and someone has tranlated it using the "sign" for the pronounciation. Now if you pronounce the word BURN in English (I am talking about the international english not the dialects) then it sounds more like Bahn/Buhn... listen to a correct pronounciation and you realise the letter R is lost.

The same thing goes for Jason's name - Iason. Remember these names are written so that a japanese will be able to read it as it sounds not as it should be spelled.

For instance, they could might as well write the word EQUIVALENT as EKWIVALENT since it sounds the same. I hope you guys understand what I am trying to say.

ISUTELU
  3. Miriashi
    Miriashi
    I was really happy to get the first chapter of the translated novel a month ago so I could see with my own eyes what it is all about.

I think the review Shippou refers to, sums it up quite nicely. Thanks hon^^

I am not altogether sure on your kanji/hiragana/katakana/romanji explanation for calling Dana-Bahn Dana-Burn, Hakucho. I know that at the start of Death note there was this same discussion on how the charas should be called due to pronunciation differences in japanese and english. (Light vs Raito). But I also know that translators all over the world also attempt to make a good translation of names whenever possible (thinks of names in harry potter and the discworld novels). And I mostly disagree with the translators.
  4. nayrecia
    nayrecia
    Love Iason an Rikki, most wonderful couple yet. I wouldn't mind being Iason's pet any day.
  5. Demeter
    Demeter
    Thanks a lot Shippou-chan for the link... even if I was a bit depressed to read the review... I'm desesperately waiting for a perfect translation, one day maybe, never seems more logical, in fact, I should learn Japanese, and then maybe I'll understand fully a Japanese manga or novel ^^;; I was happy with the translation (more or less), i'm unhappy now... but still I learnt so much new details thanks to it, that i'll buy the next volume, and the next ones too... I guess we can't have everything *sad smile*
  6. Shippou-chan
    Shippou-chan
    *hug Demeter* Oh, it wasn't my intention to make you (and anyone) unhappy with this review. On the same site, you can find the novel fanlation (unfinished). It's a good chance to compare the two translations. I must say, I like the fanlation much more than the "professional" one.^^
  7. Miriashi
    Miriashi
    Nice pics Shippou! *dance*

@demeter: I am still happy with the translation, and I'll certainly buy the rest too. Just for the background view it gives me. AnK is my obsession, but I do not mind looking at it with a critical eye. This does not diminish my obsession one bit ^__^

Hi nayrecia I know what you mean. Me too.
  8. Hakucho
    Hakucho
    Well, kanji/hiragana/katakana/romanji explanaition is what applies to a lot of translational differences that you get between western and asian novels. I am not saying it is the SOLUTION, but I do regard it as a probable explanantion.
  9. Blind_Kira
    Blind_Kira

Hello everyone. Missed me, huh? I know, I know... I must say, I love love love the pics Shippou-chan added, thank a million for them

A huge demonic kiss for my sis, Blue-Jay

And 'ello to every one of my friends.

10. Demeter
    Demeter
    Of course we missed you Blind_Kira ^___^//

@Shippou-chan: aww don't worry hon, it's really for the best, you opened my eyes

@Miriashi: You're right! I'll take it like that... and anyway, I would be soooo disappointed if I didn't have it ^___^

Oh my, I still haven't received vol.2, amazon told me that it was a bit of a problem to find it, wth??!!! Last time I waited for 2 months to have vol.1 so this time I pre-ordered it, and it's the same fuss!!!
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast