aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Do you have.......?

1. gollumsfriend
    gollumsfriend
    Do any of you have any "real-life" friends around your age that share your interest in manga/anime?

I only have two people that I consider close friends. They both listen to my manga/anime ramblings, but probably secretly think I'm Only one was interested in borrowing some anime (FMA series). Neither has interest in reading manga. It's kind of a bummer sometimes....
  2. TigreHielo
    TigreHielo
    I don't have any friends into manga/anime that i know of. Their kids are....... If they are, they're not admitting it. Two of my sons are anime/manga freaks, but the third just rolls his eyes and thinks we're weird.
  3. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    No, unfortunately not. Other than a few guys who tune in occasionally to Adult Swim.

My brother-in-law (whom you all hate now ) watches anime with me sometimes, but not the kind I like. We watch mainstream stuff, like Appleseed or Samurai Champloo. Those were okay, but they only scratch the surface of how amazing this sub-genre is. I actually never watched all of Samurai Champloo, either. Just wasn't interested.

And of course it goes without saying that we watched them in English Blech.

I managed to get my little brother and mom to watch Howl's Moving Castle with subtitles. My little brother laughed at first (he's 26, mind you) but at the end they were both really engrossed and loved it. Other than the fact that my mom thought Howl was a girl.
  4. diluain
    diluain
    My husband tolerates anime -- he went to a con with me and got into FMA that way, but otherwise he's a World of Warcraft geek, so that's his time-suck. I know no one else IRL who's into yaoi -- but that could be because I'm a recluse...
  5. Satomichan
    Satomichan
    I guess it depends what you mean by in my age range. My husband likes most of it. He doesn't seek it out (unless it is Deathnote related), but he reads whatever I have and enjoys most of it with me. I have another acquaintance who is actually the one who got me into manga in the first place. I ramble about some stuff to another friend who sometimes shows an interest in learning more about it. My son loves anime, and is not opposed to manga, though he is generally too lazy to read it.
  6. gollumsfriend
    gollumsfriend
    You just had to sneak your Brother-in-law in there, didn'tcha?! ; ) Too funny!

I forgot that my mom sat through all the weekly episodes of Death Note with me when I recorded it off Adult Swim. I often had to explain the storyline or remind her who was who....she has a hard time following/remembering sometimes.

She also watched Howl's with me. First thing she said was "Why do they make the guys look like girls?!" Whenever I can talk her into watching something, it HAS to be in English or she gets irritated. Not the world's fastest reader, she gets really irritated with subtitles.

I try to be respectful and watch the stuff when she's doing something else or not around---so that I'm not 'forcing' my interests on her. But when I got my first copy of FFVII A.C. and it was only in Japanese.....she had no choice but to suffer through it. A few times.

Diluain, I'm a recluse too.....you're not the only one!
  7. Arigatomina
    Arigatomina
    My best friend is the one who introduced me to anime. We met in college and have been friends ever since. She's in the Navy now and we're both 29, but she still calls regularly to chat about anime and yaoi, and when she visits we veg out and catch up on anime and yaoi fanfiction/djs/amvs.

My brother introduced me to playstation and FF7, so when either of us runs across a new game we obsess over it like teenage fans (he's 32). It drives his girlfriend crazy and his 7yr old daughter thinks he's weird (she does love my anime collection, though). My mom doesn't have time to sit down and watch anime with me, but she'll listen to me rant about characters and fanfics, or watch amvs with me. My mom likes watching amvs, but only if they feature characters I've done fanfics for - she doesn't have time to actually watch anime so she only knows my interpretations of the characters. She thinks Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin is sexy. At 47, she's the oldest "real life" anime fan I know. If I could get her away from work for a week I'm sure I'd make a yaoi fan out of her. RK yaoi, if nothing else.

I tried to get the friends I went to high school with interested in anime. We'd all shared romance stories (original fiction) before, so I thought it would be easy to turn them onto fanfiction. It didn't work. One of them was too slow to read subtitles and I refuse to watch dub anime, another was too addicted to damsels in distress to like the sort of yaoi I prefer, etc etc. Now they're all married with kids and act like brainless sluts (dressing like they're teenagers again) and we're not really friends anymore. If I'd hooked them on anime or yaoi I might have put up with the increasing imaturity. As it is, I'm glad our different interests make a good excuse to avoid being seen in public with them. All the females my age who live around here act like them. There's a reason my real friends are all long-distance relationships. The only adults my age I really like are the ones I went to college with and ones I met at Yaoi-con.
  8. zuumik
    zuumik
    no I don´t really have, but ppl know I´m into animated things cuz I´m drawing sence I´m little, so it´s not so suprising for them, but they do not watch or read manga and anime and it does not interesst them....hmmm but they like to take a look at my drawings....
    my bro is watching the anime channel (he is older then me btw), but I don´t consider him as my friend, I hate him actually, but it´s funny to see on my way to the kitchen at home that he has the same TV channel on as I do I think we have it in the family :P
  9. eliddell
    eliddell
    Are you guys claiming that there's life outside cyberspace?
  10. gollumsfriend
    gollumsfriend
    ^^^

Why, sure there is!!!!! Even though it mostly sucks these days...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast