aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Natsume Yuujinchou

1. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    This week's episode was sweeter than usual ... meaning I merely teared up slightly (rather than shed bucketloads) and smiled a lot more lol

I know for a fact that one of the things that endears me utterly to this series is the incredibly touching portrayal of a boy who is not quite a man yet but is definitely no longer a boy. Natsume crying at night into his pillow, unable to believe how kind his friends are to him, pretty much broke my heart. He's such a sweetheart ... really, all the kids in this series are.

It's a nostalgic portrayal of childhood for sure, but I appreciate it. And we did have the kids from Natsume's past who weren't so kind-hearted, so it's not completely head-in-the-clouds.
  2. eliddell
    eliddell
    I think that's one of the things that sets this series apart from other high-school-setting anime: the fact that there is no recurring student character who's also a jerk. The kids who went after Natsume in the past are mostly nameless ciphers (except the one guy in the episode that centered around the fact that he'd known Natsume in the past, and we never see him again after that story is over). Natsume Yuujinchou is a coming-of-age story, but not of the generic sort: rather than seeing him overcoming opposition, we are shown Natsume growing into himself and learning to handle both his (quite normal, but novel to him) position as a member of a human community, and his near-unique position as an intermediary of sorts between the human and yokai communities.

One trivial thing this episode drew to my attention again: Natsume is depicted as having slit-pupilled eyes, unlike the normal human characters (in the manga as well, IIRC, so it has to be intentional). Unfortunately, I can't remember whether we ever get a close enough look at the faces of the other human characters who can see yokai to determine whether they have this trait as well.
  3. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    Yep, and this episode (10) seemed to focus more on his "position as a member of a human community" than as a member of the youkai community. Though interestingly, we still had the two kids who were watching Natsume, Tanuma, and Taki digging in the earth and wondering what they were doing. However, instead of mock Natsume in his friends, they assumed he and the others were doing something "normal" (not just acting "weird," as Natsume was accused of acting at his other schools), such as preparing for a school play.

This episode really built on the bond between Natsume and Tanuma, and hence weakened Taki's connection to Natsume to some extent. I sense there was some jealousy on Taki's part, and perhaps a bit of smugness on Tanuma's. Just as Natsume struggles to connect to the human world, I think Tanuma and Taki struggle (rather desperately at times) to connect to the youkai world, and hence to Natsume. If this were a typical shoujo, they'd both have a serious crush on Natsume lol The show seems determined to deter all potentially romantic subplots though and keep everything at a friendship level. (And I heard that was the mangaka's wish anyway.)

p.s. Srsly the most canon Tanuma x Natsume episode so far though xD
  4. eliddell
    eliddell
    I think the key to why those onlookers assumed what Natsume et al. were doing was "normal" was that they were doing it *together*. It's easy to say "Person X is crazy" but a lot more difficult to tar several people with the same brush (and ostracism loses its power as a weapon when the ostracized can join together in a group of their own, anyway).

Smugness on Tanuma's part . . . I dunno. The situation didn't arise because of anything he did, and I think Taki's understanding enough to realize that Natsume is the sort of guy who goes out of his way to help people in trouble.

I do think that Tanuma and Taki have rather different connections to the yokai world, though. Tanuma is more like Natsume--stuck being in some sort of relationship with the supernatural because of his sensitivity to it. Taki, on the other hand, seems to have caught her grandfather's fascination bug and be actively struggling to strengthen the slim connection she has.

I think it's just as well that they're keeping everything on a non-romantic level--Natsume is still in a fairly early stage of learning to be part of a human community, and I don't think he's up to dealing with romance. (Tanuma and Taki getting together might be workable, but there doesn't seem to be much chemistry between them.) So Tanuma x Natsume is amusing to think about, but distinctly unlikely.

And there's the split-pupiled eye thing again, this time on possessed!Tanuma. Hmmm.
  5. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    That's true; the other kids gave Natsume and his friends a pass because they were in a group. Still a significant scene because Natsume has never done "youkai stuff" with a group before, and this clearly illustrates the difference between his old and new life.

I was projecting about Tanuma being smug Nah, he wasn't smug. He's a good boy. But I do think Taki was disappointed and felt left out. And I do think the bond between Tanuma and Natsume was strengthened. I think Tanuma was OVER-JOYED to be able to help Natsume do something youkai-related. Taki was consistently shut out between them, not purposefully, but to the point where they just barely noticed her there.

Oh I think Natsume would do just fine with a boyfriend or girlfriend, especially someone like Tanuma. They were already quickly becoming best friends, and a sweet boy like Tanuma would be a good boyfriend for Natsume, not taking things too fast, just hanging out together and such. And there is genuine chemistry between, but like you said, none between Natsume and Taki. I suspect because Natsume x Taki, being a het pairing, could be a genuine possibility, and so the mangaka makes it clear that this is not going to happen. But for Natsume and Tanuma, it's okay for them to be very close and clearly enjoy being with one another because both are boys and I doubt the mangaka is even thinking of BL.
  6. eliddell
    eliddell
    Mmh. For some weird reason, I've always kind of expected Natsume to end up falling for a youkai, although there's exactly zero evidence of that in the story.
  7. eliddell
    eliddell
    Episode the Next: So, Natsume learns a little about how his friends feel, Tanuma gets a look at the world through Natsume's eyes, and Taki is barely in evidence. Perhaps she does have some catching up to do. On the other hand, Tanuma, while glad to be un-possessed, may end up wanting the ability the youkai loaned him back. Time will tell.

Madarame was hilarious--getting plastered on catnip wine while ordering the weaker youkai around. And he nonetheless managed to come through for Natsume et al. I'm surprised he was willing to help that youkai at all, after she stole his chestnut.

One thing I did notice: the Book of Friends has barely even been mentioned for the past several episodes--Natsume is still helping youkai, but the reason seems to have shifted from "I feel a bit guilty that my grandmother stole your name" to "it's the right thing to do".
  8. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    Okay, I'm a huge Tanuma x Natsume fangirl (I actually wrote a so-so fanfic of them recently, haha) so excuse me if I am a little incoherent after these last two episodes ... it's b/c I'm just so squee-ing and happy

Yeah, Tanuma's desire to see and happiness at finally seeing Natsume's world is clearly apparent in this episode. Natsume looked genuinely stunned when the youkai said that Tanuma ASKED to see these things. Even after repeated offers of help, Natsume still cannot acknowledge Tanuma's desire to see the world the way he does. I think, on one hand, this is just natural curiosity on Tanuma's part, and evidence of his vague frustration at only seeing shadows of this mysterious youkai world. But on the other hand, it seems like a genuine effort to connect with Natsume on an equal level ... someone who wants to share Natsume's experience. The only problem ... Natsume is a pro at putting these people off (Tanuma, Taki, Sasada); anyone who tries to see the world as Natsume does is gently pushed aside; Natsume convinces himself that he's protecting his friends by keeping them OUT of his youkai world.

Yeah, you're right; I know others have pointed out that the Book of Friends has hardly been in this season ... you know, this season seems to be mostly about Natsume connecting more with his human friends and not feeling as much of an outcast as he has for most of his life. Probably, if I weren't such a Tanuma x Natsume fan, I'd be annoyed, because I think the Book of Friends episodic nature of the series was its heart. But at the same time, the YA scholar in me loves the focus on Natsume and his struggle with friendship, loneliness, and fitting in <3

Yeah, good on ya for noticing the difference! It really isn't all about obligation anymore, but more about friendship. And ... I lost my train of thought lol I'm actually at the library right now and my students keep interrupting me >.> But anyway, great episode
  9. eliddell
    eliddell
    Ah, so now the truth comes out! I have nothing against the pairing, but I find myself less inclined to 'ship high school kids (even from an exceptional series like this) as I grow older and more jaded. Why can't they have more series centering on biseinen, as opposed to bishounen?

I think it comes down to the question of who's going to be more persistent--Tanuma or Natsume? Natsume's had a lot of practice at keeping people away from his youkai-related activities, but he's already let Tanuma and Taki in on a heck of a lot. On the other hand, Tanuma's appetite for the supernatural has clearly been whetted, and because he can perceive some things even without help, it would be difficult for Natsume to shut him out completely.
  10. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    Yes, you've found me out Tanuma x Natsume 4-evah!

I love high school (age) romances. I write YA and I study YA so it's my "thing." Of course I love grown up stories of romance and friendship, too, but high school age narratives just tickle me and make me smile. I love them to pieces. I love the innocence, and the exploration, and the uncertainty. I guess it's about nostalgia for people who are our age. It's impossible to find that state of mind again because it's forever gone.

Who's the most persistent ... well, it would eventually be Tanuma. I think Tanuma has been the most persistent when it comes to pursuing a relationship with Natsume. The only exception are his aunt and uncle. Sasada has tried and failed in epic proportions. The two boys (always forget their names) have done a good job at drawing Natsume out of his shell and encouraging him to attend group activities. But Natsume is capable of fading away within himself, even when he's with these other two (since the other two take to laughing and talking amongst themselves, and only occasionally prodding Natsume to join them). Taki seems to have drawn Natsume's attention based on sympathy: he felt sorry for her and so wanted to help her. Taki was almost like a youkai in need! (This reminds me of a scene from the last episode, where Natsume thanks Tanuma for his aid, and a slightly amused Tanuma points out to Natsume that HE should be thanking HIM! Natsume looked so surprised, poor dear.)

Tanuma's persistence is gentle because he's a gentle kind of guy. Taking this into the realm of fandom ... I think Tanuma would have to make the first move (obviously). And Tanuma is a pusher ... he's just really slow and careful and gentle about it. He's always just there. He shows up. He happens to meet Natsume. He happens to bump into him at school or on the way home. He invites him over to his home from time to time, etc. Slow and steady wins the race.

The only other person Natsume appears to have chemistry with in the show is Natori, and I think this is only because Natori blatantly teases (flirts?) with Natsume, and Natsume blushes and looks embarrassed.

Natsume's never blushed in front of a girl, which does make one wonder LOL I just know the mangaka claimed she did not want to write any romance for once, and so maybe that's why the focus is more on male/male friendship than male/female romance. It's just ... why make the poor boys BLUSH over one another? It's enough to make one think all Japanese schoolboys are by nature closet bisexuals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast