aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

maba bamba a group for people that like to read books

1. sanada
    sanada
    Well I sure LOOOOOOOVE to read!! Even tho I always read originals here or at AFF, I still have a favorite author that I like to buy books from! And that's John Grisham! He does, so far, the best book I've ever read! The Partner was my first book from him and I loved every damn second of it! Let me tell you it really is exiting! After this one, I read The Client but I still like The Partner best! 'cause the book is just so full of surprises! ^^

Anyways, here's a resume I've stolen somewhere of The Partner... Just to feed ur curiosity! ehe ^^ And to keep u guys from doing a research! *hugs* Tell me what u think.....

They watched Danilo Silva for days before they finally grabbed him. He was living alone, a quiet life on a shady street in a small town in Brazil; a simple life in a modest home, certainly not one of luxury. Certainly no evidence of the fortune they thought he had stolen. He was much thinner and his face had been altered. He spoke a different language, and spoke it very well. But Danilo had a past with many chapters. Four years earlier he had been Patrick Lanigan, a young partner in a prominent Biloxi law firm. He had a pretty wife, a new daughter, and a bright future. Then one cold winter night Patrick was trapped in a burning car and died a horrible death. When he was buried his casket held nothing more than his ashes. From a short distance away, Patrick watched his own burial. Then he fled. Six weeks later, a fortune was stolen from his ex-law firm's offshore account. And Patrick fled some more. But they found him.
  2. unsteady
    unsteady
    Does anyone else here have a library thing?
  3. alek_31
    alek_31
    errrr....a library pass or a thing for libraries ?

for the first one, I've got a pass in my old hometown and I usually like to use their reading room (it's HUGE, the seat are very comfy and it's opened until 19:00)

I don't need a library pass where I live now...cause I've got nop decent library (at least not one I like)....I've got library passes from the university (fromer one since I'm out ...but I can still usebooks there; you just have to pay 3-5$ a month..somethin' like that)...plus I really don't need it - many of my friends love to read and I usually borrow books from them (plus my house pretty much looks like a bookstore ...I buy too many books for my own sake )

I love to lose myself for hours in a booksstore or a library; if not to read, at least check out all the new releases; I have a few fav bookstores around the town (some I like because they have those great areas with chairs and tables and you can actually ruste through your books there for HOURS; some because they have rare books, or limited editions and stuff like that; and some I love for their interesting album collection).

so what about you guys? do you have a fav bookstore? do you buy your books on-line? or do you preffer the library?
  4. Faith_Lover
    Faith_Lover
    I do hav a Library pass but i dont use it mainly because the library is not that good. I prefer to stay at home and read in bed , it's more comfy. As for a fav bookstore, I don't really have one , I sometimes just wonder into one and hope I see something I like!
  5. andri12
    andri12
    hi Faith_Lover and sanada and darkparagon and welcome to the group
    and that is a lot of and

@ unsteady i did not like movie version of the Golden Compass as it remove Several key themes of the novel, such as the religion and the abuse of power in a fictionalised version of the Catholic Church,

@sanada the text you posted did feed my curiosity i thing i need to read The Partner

as for Library´s am lucky to live in reykjavík there are lot of good Library´s like Reykjavik City Library it has six branches and operates a mobile library service a.k.a a book bus here is a image of the inside of the book-bus http://www.borgarbokasafn.is/upload/.../large/728.jpg and from out site http://www.borgarbokasafn.is/upload/.../large/730.jpg and just to mention this the Library has the biggest collection of manga it is that big that at Main Library 1/4 of the 2 flore at Main Library is taken by manga

but i have to atmid something if i read a book i like i most of the time i will try to find it in a book store and buy the book

as for my fav bookstore there is a small store called nexus in midtown it is not bookstore per se it is gaming -dvd - bokstore it is always getting the staff is very helpful just a example i was looking for a book it was not available so they did order it for me for no extra charts it cost same if i were to buy it like usually
  6. sanada
    sanada
    @andri12: Yes well... Grisham write almost all the time (if not) about layers and their cases and stuff like that! And I'm on his 3rd book and I don't find him predictable so I guess that's a good thing right! ^^
  7. unsteady
    unsteady
    I guess I wasn't too clear, Library Thing is a website where you catalog all of the books you own. I don't have one (haven't gotten around to it) but my brother and I have a list that combines some of our stuff. It's under Spoonbridge if you wanna look.
    http://www.librarything.com/

I've actually got a Library Science degree so I'm looking for jobs in libraries right now. I love libraries and spend a lot of time at them, although I don't actually check out books a lot (I already have too many to read at home). I run the anime club and video game nights at my local library so I spend a lot of time doing that.

As for bookstores, my favorite is Half Price Books. Because it's cheap. And I'm cheap. Though usually I opt for the even cheaper option of library book sales where I pick up a paper bag filled to the top with books for $2.

@ andri12 - a lot of people I know boycotted going to the Golden Compass, because as Christians they thought the movie was hell sent or something. They should read the book!
  8. alek_31
    alek_31
    WIII!!!! thanks so much unsteady!!! it's got a version in my own language ! I think I'll give it a try !!!
  9. alek_31
    alek_31
    welll, just finished Sommerset Maugham's THE PAINTED VEIL and I'd have to say for me it was a SHOCK!
    For those who saw the movie, I can honestly say, the book is MILES away - no better, no worse...just different. I loved it and I hated it and I don;t think I;ve hated human weakness more (I'm being very weird....but I couldn;t put it any other way) I don't think I've cried so much when reading a book since Graham Greene's THE END OF THE AFFAIR (uhm..yeah...I cry at books too , not just movies). The book is just one of those stories that everyone perceives in their own intimate manner (some will love it....some hate it...some find it boring I suppose); but nobody can deny the fact that this story is so *human*; the main character is described with a painful precision...every inch of her selfishness, her ignorance and her sheer vanity - I feel compelled to feel sorry for her..but I just can't

I suppose this is one of those books that a person has to read at least twice throughout the course of her life: once, when she's young and everything is black and white and once when she much more mature (much older) and she can see the different shedes of gray

I'll definitely have to re-read this book in 10-20 years...
  10. arinna
    arinna
    hello! i've joined because i'm impressed beyond words by alek's experience (i would have never thought her the sensitive type, since i'm somewhat familiar with her tough, murderous side ). i would have come here earlier, but i didn't quite like the name of this group (put your guns away...).
    i'm a really lazy reader, i have books i've started to read piled up on a shelf, and their number is close to 50 already (please, do not judge me). hopefully, i'll keep up with you guys, but i have little time on my hands.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast