aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Goujun = Hakuryuu ?

1. meicdon13
    A popular fanon theory is that Hakuryuu is Goujun's reincarnated form. (Or is it only popular in my head?)

Personally, I think that it makes sense, seeing as they're the only dragons shown so far in Saiyuki and both of them are white dragons too. The events that took place at the end of Gaiden also seem to support the theory.

Any thoughts on this?
  2. spreet
    spreet
    KonnyakuHonyaku - Saiyuki: Pafu Magazine (p11-13) Check that out.

I think that maybe Hakuryu being Gojun was an old idea that fans can't seem to live down. In that link is an interview with Minekura and she says that Gojun is "most likely Jeep". To me, that doesn't sound too sure--not even promising that the rumor might be true. It sounds to me like she's too nervous to wreck the fans' dreams x3; Personally, I can't see the resemblance that Hakuryu is Gojun. Take the Sanzo party for example. In their previous existence in Gaiden, they had the same personalities, right? Well, I might be over thinking this but Hakuryu is just too darn cute and lovable. Gojun's like, stone cold, ya know? It would be cool to bring Gojun back into the story--definitely! But idk...I'll believe it when it happens and IF it happens lol I hope the link helped some people.
  3. meicdon13
    meicdon13
    I read that too! I don't want to decide outright that Goujun = Hakuryuu because 'most likely' doesn't equal being 100% sure. IIRC, in one of Minekura's first sketches of the Gaiden crew, she scribbled, "Goujun is Jeep!??" or something to that effect in the margins of Goujun's sketch. So it might have been an early idea of her's that didn't quite come to fruition.

TBH, I don't think that the Gaiden group have the same personalities as their reincarnations. They're quite similar, but there are big differences; like Konzen is much less *****y than Sanzo and can be quite open about expressing his protectiveness of Goku. And Tenpou is a slob, unlike Hakkai.

IF Goujun were reincarnated as Hakuryuu, I think Hakuryuu's still in the baby stages of being a dragon. So that would explain why he's so adorable compared to the stoic Goujun. Just my opinion on that point.
  4. Little White Dragon
    Little White Dragon
    After reading through several of the articles/interviews on KonyakuHonyaku's LJ, I found that Gojun and Hakuryu are mentioned a few times as being past lives or possibly different forms of the same being. For example KonnyakuHonyaku - Saiyuki: Saiyubito Comparative Analysis 8/8 under the heading "Dragon King of the Western Seas, Goujun" it says "In 'Saiyuki' this Goujun is Jeep’s previous incarnation, but in the original 'Hsi Yu Ki' the 'dragon horse' that Sanzo journeys upon is Goujun’s son." So in the original Journey to the West story, what Minekura based Saiyuki on, Gojun's son (a dragon prince) transforms into a horse that Sanzo rides during the journey. It then makes sense then that people would assume that Gojun is Hakuryu or Hakuryu's past life.
    In the link that spreet posted,(KonnyakuHonyaku - Saiyuki: Pafu Magazine (p11-13)) Minekura says, "It isn’t stated plainly but since he (Gojun) most likely is Jeep, he watches over the 4 to the very end." Then she goes on to say, "He (Gojun) probably wanted to understand them (the four guys) a bit more, and chose to become Jeep."
    So all of this makes me think Minekura only says he might be jeep simply because she doesn't want to confirm it unless she has to. Right now it is possible that Gojun has transformed into Jeep/Hakuryu to keep an eye on the guys. Possibly at the request of Kanzeon Bosatsu or simply because he is curious. If this is true it means Gojun is Hakuryu just in a different form. Minekura may not want to confirm this because if Hakuryu is actually Gojun's reincarnation it would mean that Gojun was killed, like Kenren, Tenpou, and Konzen, and reborn on earth. (Although this gets messy seeing as how he is the narrator of the last few chapters of Gaiden.) No matter what, Gojun could only be a past life of Hakuryu, not the same person (or dragon). Or maybe Minekura wants to stay closer to the original story, so perhaps Hakuryu is Gojun's son sent to keep an eye on the boys.
    Now I haven't read the latest chapters of Gaiden so I know I could be dead wrong about everything I just said, but based on what I have read, seen, and heard in the past, I think it is possible that Hakuryu is a reincarnation of Gojun or is simply the same person just in a different form.