aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yoneda Kou is taking a break from the manga world

1. Gizmo
    Gizmo
    Yoneda's blog: taking a break

I read on LJ that Yoneda Kou is temporarily leaving the manga world for awhile, citing personal reasons on her blog.

This totally breaks my heart. I'm saddened that the industry, the way it exists currently, would burn her out so quickly. She's only been mainstream for less than three years, and already it's kicking her to the curb.

This being said, you gotta wonder how some mangaka in weekly magazines manage to pull this off. Apparently it takes little more than one week to finish roughly 10 pages, including storyboarding. I know that some mangaka get assistants to help with backgrounds and graphics, but I don't think many up-and-coming yaoi mangaka have any considering they make significantly less than other genres. That means they'll probably have to finish 2-3 pages a day.

Publishers are so inclined to make money they really push the popular mangaka with continual/binding projects, seemingly not caring much about them burning out. Judging from the LJ post, I can understand Yoneda's frustration, with time constraints and deadlines and probably low pay. I hope this doesn't mean she'll give up mangas completely.
  2. audiopain86
    audiopain86
    These were really sad news Yoneda Kou is my favourite mangaka. I don't mind waiting for as long as it takes, I just hope she will make a comeback.

And yeah, I guess that's how it is, the industry must be pretty hard on new artists. I read a comment on LJ, that it would be nice if she took it easy during her break and maybe draw a new doujin, which would also be great, in my opinion.
  3. Lady_Isis
    Lady_Isis
    This is a sad news! I hope she comes back.
  4. darkalchemist
    darkalchemist
    I really hope she'll get back in the game soon enough. I absolutely adore her work. It's such a shame the publishing world is so brutal. -_-;; *vibes good thoughts and energy to Yoneda-sensei*
  5. Cehache
    Cehache
    I heard something about sensei taking a break, but I was hoping it wasn't true.

I'm really sad, I hope she can relax during her break, and be back with her awesome work. She's between my tope three mangakas... I'll miss her works :________(
  6. Dee_
    Dee_
    As disappointing as this news is, I understand--if being burned out is her reasoning--that she really does need to take a breather. When you push yourself, your work suffers and in the future, the repercussions can be ten fold. So she should take as much personal time as she needs.
  7. Cehache
    Cehache
    Yeah, I agree. Drawing manga should be an ejoyable work, I think if she herself can't get to enjoy it, she can't transmit it to the readers.

I hope she really gets to relax and be back with great ideas ^^
  8. lev1
    lev1
    She's back!!! Gosh, I've missed her work so much.
  9. KatieMH2
    KatieMH2
    hey, does anyone know if shes ever going to contine her old works, Ore ni Koi Shite Dousunda? I like her new manga Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai but i miss the plot involing the uncle and nephew (yes im a bit of a closet perv lol)