aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Story/writing versus art..

1. Gizmo
    Gizmo
    Was just looking around the forum and came upon a discussion here: http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f114/t...ml#post2650879 talking about good art vs good writing. What do you think about when it comes to good art and story? Is one more important to you? Which popular mangaka do you think can do well in both? Which can't?

It's pretty rare finding an author who can draw well as well as write well, but I think Yoneda Kou is one of those exceptions in yaoi who is incredibly talented in both writing, as well as artwork. She draws characters and scenes gorgeously, though her style is something unique (it's not like full-on beautiful boys like you'd find in Ayano Yamane's works) - the kind that caters to an older audience and isn't conventional bishounen. It definitely makes me, as a reader, remember the author apart from the many other popular mangaka, and her works become something I'd love to keep and spend money for. (It's too bad the US manga industry is suffering, otherwise we'd have a chance for some of her stuff to be licensed.)
  2. abandonwhisper
    abandonwhisper
    Me again

I think I've said all that I can think of in the Yoneda Kou thread really lol. But I do have a few more great artists in mind and I think it would be nothing but blasphemy not to name them! XD .

Nakamura Shungiku with her Hybrid Child and Junjou Romantica holds a special place in yaoiland for me.
    Kotobuki Tarako in Sex Pistol
    Kyuugou, especially in Bokurani Matsuwaru Etc. She's only ever had one series out (Boku), and it's such a knockout I can't wait too see her mature as an author and an artist.

So it comes down to the real question: art or story. For me, it's not one or the other, it's both. Best demonstrative of that is my list up there; none of the artists draw nympho-greekgod-like characters, but their men (and women) are attractive in their own ways, and their stories are addicting and moving.

But beauty/art taste is also very subjective so it's all a bit iffy- like you might say Kotobuki's men are ugly, but I think it works exceptionally well because she's got such a strong story behind it. So to some, I probably appear as leaning toward story and story-telling. Hell, it is the closest thing to the Holy Grail in the world of yaoi, where you don't really need a plot to get a book out.

Which mangaka can do well in both? Modoru Motoni and Inariya Fusanosuke, hands down. But I don't recommend reading Motoni's longer series in one sitting, unless you feel like banging your head against the keyboard...

Oh, and how could I forget, Youka Nitta for her Secret Diplomacy! Delightful art, handsome men, engaging plot. I would marry it if I could.
  3. okaeshi
    okaeshi
    I'm all for great story > great art. But in a way beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Over the years I found myself falling in love with authors I once loathed for their 'ugly' art: Kotobuki Tarako, Monchi Kaori, Yoshiike Masuko, Umetarou... but when I started reading them their stories are so beautiful I regretted not giving them a chance earlier. Now I actually learned to appreciate their art too (Okay, maybe Yoshiike will take a little longer... XDD) In Yoneda Kou's case, I think the standard of both her art and story are already quite high, but I still read her for plot and characterization.
  4. Gizmo
    Gizmo
    @okaeshi - Those authors, I'm going to check them out now! I love hearing about talented mangaka! Unfortunately I haven't heard much of them before, so are there any specific works you could recommend?