aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

[Disc.] MAY 11: Beyond Graphics

1. Flei
    Flei
    Well, April's discussion post ended up being rather successful! And now that a new month has come upon us, it means it's time for a new monthly discussion thread.

Yaaaaay.

This month's theme is beyond just graphics!

Here's the deal: No matter what graphics editing program you use (PS/GIMP/Paint/etc), there's more you can do than just make sets. You can draw, make vectors, edit manga, create brushes/textures/patterns, design logos, edit photographs or videos, illustrate novel covers, make funny manips, outline building drafts, contribute to the endless funny gifs on the net, color manga scans, and so on.

So tell us, what do you use your editing program for, besides just making sets? And if you don't, have you ever thought of or attempted any of the many other creative forms of editing that your program is able to provide.

It's time to talk about your experiences and see who's most 'PS savvy'! >D

PS. Feel free to shoot me a PM with suggestions for future discussions! <3 I'd love to hear everyone's ideas~
  2. Halite75
    Halite75
    I've made buttons/banners/logos for websites/newsletters/promotional materials, edited photos, and have drawn really crappy pictures with PS (I have no drawing talent with or without PS ). I've been using PS since PS 3, but I didn't really do much with it until I started making sets 2 years ago.
  3. Flei
    Flei
    Halite75: That's really awesome! You have a lot experience. *A* Guh, I can't even remember when I started using PS. All I know is that the first PS I used was PS 7.

As for me, I use PS to draw, edit manga, and color manga scans. Yeah, nothing that fabulous. Kinda boring, actually. 8D I also used to make textures, but that didn't go over so well. I want to try many other things such as novel covers, funny gifs, etc. but I never get around to doing it. >____> Maybe this month. Maybe.
  4. cabbit_girl
    cabbit_girl
    hmmm well I started opencanvas for drawing, and then moved to graphics from there. I also made buttons, emots, an web banners in OC

though now I just use opencanvas for drawing, coloring or making textures.

I also use SAI for drawing, painting or making line art and I just use ps for graphics or making textures or re-coloring images...for some reason I don't like ps for drawing or line art...to me it looks too stiff and I don't get the same flow or feel as I get from OC or SAI
  5. loveusender
    loveusender
    Well I'm in scanlations so I edit A LOT OF manga. I do it because it's fun and maybe even more than sets I hope I don't develop carpel tunnel because that mouse is killing me!
    I really really want to draw in PS but I need to get a wacom for best results. I did Art in school and it's itching at my creativity. Physical materials can be so expensive at times.

Hmm, Well I started like 2 and a half years ago with PS CS3 and Now I'm on CS5 it's much faster has some additional tools that come in very handy and just fun to work with. I've never used anything else though. Uhh, just Corel draw to edit a document that I couldn't in PS...

i GOT BLOODY FRUSTRATED just looked at it, Like why aren't the tools over there like in PHOTOSHOP HUH? yeah...
  6. Flei
    Flei
    cabbit_girl: Oh, SAI! I use SAI to draw, too. But recently my sister (who is waaay better at drawing than me, both on paper and computer) showed me how to get decent lines on PS, so now I'm using that instead. xP I love SAI, but it's a little awkward after years of using PS.

I've never used openCanvas. Is it good?

loveusender: OMG, SCANLATING. I know how you feel! >__> I'm addicted to scanlating, love it even more than making graphics. I don't have time for a scanlation group right now, so instead I edit random pages just 'cuz I miss editing. ;A; /lame

Wacom is the best~ My sister got me one for Christmas quite a few years back; I haven't used it much, but it's awesome. Warning you now: Your drawings are gonna look less than pretty until you get the hang of it. XD
  7. Halite75
    Halite75
    @loveusender I already have carpel tunnel, so I suggest trying to use a trackball instead. It is much easier on my wrist--I don't even have to wear my wrist brace when I use it (most of the time).
  8. loveusender
    loveusender
    @Flei.. that's not pathetic in the least..It's strange, but I understand if you truly do not have the time..

If you don't use yours, sent it to me!!! I will nurture it and keep it close to my heart!

@Halite gosh, I should really start looking into some stuff to help me. To start off I should get the wrist splint or something to at least keep it rigid for the while. I keep finding my wrist bending off the edge of my desk and I'm like WTF? how di you get there??
  9. Flei
    Flei
    loveusender: I swear, once I have more time I'm joining a scanlation group. *A* It's been too long since I've last been in one.

You'll have to beat my sister first since she's a tablet nut and would fight to get my tablet. XD
  10. Chawsu
    Chawsu
    Wow, all of you have so much experience. I started when my dad showed me how he uses PS to make changes to the graphics in his lectures. Then I got started at Uni doing pamphlets for courses and layouts, mostly using Publisher. Then when I got interested in fandom, there I mostly use it for banners and icons. Then only I found DeviantART and started on manipulations. Sigs are a little different though, so I'm still a newbie at it. How I wish I can make sigs like you all here.

I can't draw to save my soul. Even my stick figures are hilarious.

I think my wrist are starting to act up. I can't make graphics for hours like I used to, sometimes it's painful. Please don't let it be Carpel Tunnel.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast