aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Wigs and Styling

1. ShadowYinYang
    ShadowYinYang
    After going through a movie's-length amount of time styling a spiky-wig, I decided I need a break b/c its so annoying and frustrating me -_- (I'm still new at wig styling but I'm a perfectionist sometimes so I'll work myself to the bone to get it as a perfect as possible...which is probably why I'm getting frustrated. Why the hell does Roxas/Ven ave different hair styles from the 3D art and 2D art?-_-)

So I decided to see if I can talk with other cosplayers here and maybe get tips, advice, and inspiration if possible.

How's everybody else and their wig styling experiences if you use wigs in your cosplay?
  2. Fold39Crane
    Fold39Crane
    Personally, I haven't style a wig yet. But will be embarking on styling a Len Kagamine wig soon :3
    I've got my hair spray and scissors ready.

I have seen my friends do their wigs and it always consist of voluminous hairspray and snipping XD But once you get even one strand to stick up successfully, it makes you want to dance (well, one of my friends did so after she managed to get one part of her wig to stick up correctly).
  3. ShadowYinYang
    ShadowYinYang
    Lol!! That may end up being me with the way this wig is going XD

I wish you luck on your wig then!

I haven't touched mine since last weekend-_- and I'm supposed to get it done by this weekend>.<
  4. Namsoon
    Namsoon

I absolutely love styling wigs, it puts my mind at ease. Weird right?
    Anyway, I do have some great advice for you. Ready?

(Always practice on cheap wigs before attempting on pricey wigs)
    (You will need to flip your wig upside down, for better results, when spiking. I say this because when you flip your hair upside down you're working with gravity and not against it.)

1. Clear Caulking: Which can be purchased at any hardware store.
    It takes a long while for Caulk to dry, but the end result is very clean. However working with it, can be very messy! You want to make sure you're wearing gloves. It comes out of the tube 'white' but will in fact dry 'clear'. Be gentle with it, and use it sparringly.

2. Got2BeGlued (Not the spray): Which can be purchased at any Hair Care store. (If you're in America)
    It also takes a long time for this product to dry, the end result can be very nice, but if you glob it in; can look like you put way too much hairspray in. (Crispy Look). It 'stays' which is really all that matters, If you want to make sure it holds, you use the spray throughout the day. (edit* MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLOVES this product is sticky, and not really hand friendly. It feels GROSS )

If you use either of these two products, you can not save your wig. By that I mean, Neither will wash out (Got2BeGlued has a counter-part called Got2BeUnglued) but if you WANT to try (and I have so that's why I told you 'neither will wash out') You have to first use the product, and wash the wig under COOL/Warm water. Never Hot Water. You may need to repeat that steps several times, and after your arms are completely tired, put conditioner in the wig.

XD I've been doing this since ...96 so, I wouldn't throw this out there if I hadn't already had my experiences! I hope this helps you.
  5. Namsoon
    Namsoon
    Also for people with extremely long wigs (Like extremely long)

Tired of putting on your favorite Cosplay, walking out of the convention center to get lunch, and having a HUGE GUST OF WIND blow your amazingly long wig into a giant tangled mess?

You'll need:
    Small Empty Spray Bottle
    Fabric Softener
    Water

Add:
    1 Part Fabric Softener
    2 Parts Water
    Pour into Small Spray Bottle

Walla! The Ultimate Long Wig Detangler! Beats those harsh winds every time!!
  6. ShadowYinYang
    ShadowYinYang
    Uber late, I apologize>.<

So busy with finals stuff and then immediately after I had to finish my costumes

What exactly is clear caulking? Or, what is it supposed to do?

I use got2bglued lol. I needed that advice b/c I needed to undo an older wig^^;

But thank you very much! I didn't think of hanging it upsidedown at first b/c, well, I have no one to hold it for me which is what I had done in the past.