aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

RECIPES: Salads and other healthy food

1. sinnersxsaints
    sinnersxsaints
    I love salad. I really do. And since i'm trying to eat healthier, i've been experimenting with greens & veggies trying to find good combos that really satisfy my taste buds and keep me feeling full so I don't go for the chips and dip! This is my favorite "kitchen sink" type salad. Although I used to be a huge fan of the classic Caesar Salad, my current favorite is this salad. There isn't any meat, although i've had it with grilled chicken and it was delicious! Some steak strips would also be great.

* note: C = cup, TBL = tablespoon, TBS = teaspoon

Kitchen Sink Salad Recipe (serves 1 as a meal, 4 as an appetizer) with Balsamic Dressing
    - 1 -> 1 1/2 C (loosely packed) baby spinach
    - 1 -> 1 1/2 C (loosely packed) spring mix
    - 1/4 C chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    - 1/4 C celery
    - 4 TBL shredded carrots
    - scant 1/4 C julienne red onion **tip: soaking your red onion overnight in a bowl of ice water helps take away the "bite" that red onion has
    - 3 sundried tomatoes (minced)
    - 2 -> 3 TBS sunflower seeds
    - 4 (generous) TBL of goat cheese

toss salad ingredients together in a bowl and top with sunflower seeds, tomatoes, goat cheese, and dressing.

Variations:

- change up the veggies! Cucumber, tomatoes, and peppers are great. The reason this is called a kitchen sink salad is because its great for using up the veggies you have in your fridge.
    - add some romaine lettuce for some crunch! The mixed greens are nutritious, and substituting about a 1/2 - 1 C of romaine for the spinach/spring mix tastes great. Avoid using iceberg lettuce, which is almost 90% water and has almost no nutritional value.

Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe

- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
    - 2 -> 3 TBL of red wine vinegar (depending on how tangy you want it)
    - 1 minced clove of garlic (optional)
    - 1 -> 3 TBS honey (to taste)
    - salt and pepper

Variations:
    - substitute fresh herbs such as thyme and oregano for the dijon mustard
    - add some fresh lemon juice
    - instead of honey, use brown sugar

in a jar, combine all ingredients and shake to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste, and if needed, adjust honey and vinegar.