aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

criticism

1. ghettoe
    ghettoe
    I've got to admit not many people are honest with their writers, and they should be. So I'm wondering how many of you offer criticism?
  2. Ferus37
    Ferus37
    Not honest how? As in saying a story is great when they really think it's bad?

I think there's a difference between being honest and being pushy. I am willing to overlook things I don't like in a story if the story is mostly good. In situations when there have been some things in a story I didn't like, but I enjoyed the rest of it, I haven't felt the need to bring that up when I commented.

I do not lie in my comments though. If I didn't like it I won't start out the post by saying "this was great". If I tell you I liked it then I liked it. If I tell you I loved it then I loved it.

If I come across a story with very poor grammar and/or spelling I tend to just walk away from it after a few lines, and don't leave a comment at all.
    Once or twice I have sent a PM to a writer (so long ago I don't even remember if it was once or twice), offering to help clean up the grammar and spelling, but I chose not to say anything in the story thread about it. (And I never got a response from the writer.)

These days I read very little though, and usually only stories I've been recommended, so I very rarely come across bad ones. (Can't actually remember the last time I didn't enjoy a story.)

Basically, unless I'm asked personally by the writer to be "brutally honest" I choose not to give criticism. If I am asked I will give my personal opinions and suggestions for improvement if I think it can be improved, but I prefer not to push it on the writers in comments on stories.

The way I see it this is a forum, one that isn't focused on writing, and not a school or anything like that, so I don't have a need to try to get people to "fix" what they write. What's more important to me in a place like this is that people enjoy what they're doing.

And anyway, I usually muddle more or less blindly through the writing process myself, so who am I to say other people can do it better? I don't have any kind of education, and English is my second language, so I can't really say I trust myself to know how to improve someone else's writing.
  3. TigreHielo
    TigreHielo
    If someone asks for criticism from me, I am honest, but diplomatic. Most are beginning writers, and I don't want to discourage them from working at it. If they do want detailed, to-the-point input, I will give it to them.
  4. melodysnow
    melodysnow
    'Critique has been used as a verb meaning "to review or discuss critically" since the 18th century, but lately this usage has gained much wider currency, in part because the verb criticize, once neutral between praise and censure, is now mainly used in a negative sense.'

My views on criticism are a little bitter, mostly because a lot of people don't understand how to critique properly anymore. I've seen people downright trash a person's work in the past and I've had a couple of people gang up on me before. I agree that a bad critique can serve to motivate and in the end make you a better writer, but it can just as well, discourage people from continuing to write. And that in itself, is just wrong. Of course, there are also people who just don't want your advice.

As a reader, I admit that I have a tendency to hype people up, but its because their work overall is good, their plot and characters are so intriguing that I get caught up in the story, and overlook the mistakes. I have told people that certain passages are confusing, and have even offered myself as a beta to help correct grammar and sentence structure because I think that if a story is good, it could become even better and more appreciated, once polished.

When I was taking art classes, critiquing was a big part of the course and my teacher put an emphasis on how it should be done. Provide both positive and negative feedback! Say first, your overall impression and what was done well. Then go into what needs to be addressed, whether it be spelling, grammar, plot holes, inconsistencies, etc. I truly believe if someone asks for a critique, this is how it should be done. Its not fair to the writer to just say, "this is wrong," without any explanation or any positive feedback. Anything else, to me, is nothing more than an insult and has every right to be ignored.
  5. ghettoe
    ghettoe
    Melody: I don't think you'll like how I go about it. I try and be honest; personally, If I feel the story is not going no where or I feel like a character has no relevance I ask the author about it, but I don't comment on personal tastes for example I hate fluff but I never bring down a story because of it, actually I shy away from fluff.
  6. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    Hey nice idea Ghetto even tho im late on that
    I like critic my issue w/it is really learning how/what to do to prevent the same mistakes. I am always willing to grow.. However I've notice some p authors who I feel can really use some advice *also tend to ask/beg for a review* they are also the best at ignoring critic. Whenever someone ask me for feedback, i generaly try to give through ideas of things I like and what areas need improvement. After doing this often, I stop since it seemed the author ignored my suggestions.

@Melody do you think a story review thread would work? What problems may arise? Simialr to movie reviews..*two thumbs up or down* I guess certain areas should be covered, like you mentioned above...personally I think only complete stories should be mentioned. It would be nice if stories of the month could be part of the story review..since not many get nominated consistantly..any story nomin..should be up for a review.. the way some ppl behave on aarin I guess we'd need to ask permission from author... defeats purpose...
  7. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    Critic and Criticism This is something we in Stalker Haven have bounced around. I know everyone is very busy but I present the offer, perhaps share your knowledge with interested new authors or *not so new authors.*

The purpose is to provide through story review on each story presented. Perhaps some of you would like to have your story reviewed as well. At the present, I'm just taking titles and links, I'm not certain where we would post the review, yet, I dont think the author's thread would be a great idea. I'm open to discussing ideas that may assist in the story review process.

I'm new to writing *this through* a review so tips are appreciated.
  8. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    Here is the first review, if anyone is interested. Or if you have tips on how I can be more through, and fair, Here..Blood Kiss
  9. Rand0mapplepie
    Rand0mapplepie
    I worry about critics but I'm not against it, even if it's going to be 'This could use a lot of work.. here's a good idea..'

I've heard a lot of authors talk about getting quite a lot of negative critics (mostly from FF.Net since anyone can say they're a 'beta'). I got a few betas on some of my work, however, two of them have been busy :< And I'm not sure if I should wait or just go ahead and find another beta. Though, now I've decided to just go through my own work and think it through (I'll have time to do that since my downloads are completely gone).

But thanks to CrisNoWait, I'll definitely check out that construction <33
  10. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    i've had some of those on ff too then they offer to beta but have no actual time to do so. I think ppl like that are trolls the real purpose *shakes head* maybe just like ppl that like to hear themselves talk...these *poster/commenters* like to see themselves type (i.e. Im much better than you so here is my thoughts) always willing to help but never actually.
    As far as im concerned the *comments* we get here are not *real* critique, its just fans/friends saying: "...well done cant wait for more...btw (quotes about plot)..." its not real and i know many here dont want real critique..even though posting alone opens us up for it.. ^^ we should always be prepared when it comes..
    My biggest issue is love some chars more than others hence my char development shows glaring differences... i've made myself work on other chars because of this but its a process...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast