aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

criticism

1. Ele
    Ele
    (Little belated, but anyway...) I am a person who tends to be honest, in a way that sometimes people cannot handle. However, I usually don't bother with writing a review to a story that doesn't at least have some potential. A critique should always start with something positive, after all. Therefore I will begin by saying what caught my attention, what spoke to me. After that, though, I think it is only in the author's interest to point out what I found strange, of course with a sound explanation. I analyse why I did not think something was quite right, I don't just throw my opinion at other people. And I would love to have such reviewers in return! In my opinion, as long as a review is balanced like that, an author must be able to stomach it. The ability to accept critique and exercise self criticism is essential for a writer in my view. That does of course not mean that you have to comply with the reviewer(s). But you should be open for criticism and think about it thoroughly.
    But criticism is also about telling the writer how his/her story affected you. I give associations that crossed my mind during the reading process - the parallels to another story that I enjoyed reading as well, a memory of mine... I love it when my readers tell me how they perceive my characters, when they start guessing how the story will continue or why the character acted like he did. That gives me an impression on how well I have communicated what I wanted to tell the readers and where I might have to add more detail to achieve the aspired effect.

In the end, I have observed that the better thought through a story was, the better the author reacted to my reviews. Lately I have read some really amazing pieces on fanfiction.net that could truly rival the original author's work, and I have only received very positive, grateful answers to my reviews.
  2. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    The story titles is Crimson Silver Dragon, its HP PWP *I latter added AR/AU*

Elfwyn 2009-06-28 id # 3001288374
    I agree with Rainien about the beta. The misuse of words were a little bit annoying. As well as monarch instead of lord or aristocrat, there was also russet for Harry's hair. Harry was never a redhead, black/ebony in the books and brown/brunette in the movies, which you did get right at the very end. The spell was cool and the sex hot.
    Ok I'm going out on a limb here...and I do love critic but some, *sighs* well anywho...
    First of all how would others respond to this..now on Adultfanfiction.net we can not really *reply* to comments w/o sharing our email address or posting a comment on the *commenter's fiction* NO I don't agree with that.

so in an Aarin setting, (can not image an Aarin-ite doing this type of comment) How would you respond?

I for one, as the person points out, *heck yeah I need a beta* I take that and bow humbly. Then s/he reiterates about *monarch*

This is a matter of preference, imo...but how do others feel about that particular euphemism? Even if I were referring to the dark lord, I would image (hint I) that while referring to my characters it wouldn't matter which I used, even if I called him a "raven" Lol. Well all in all I took the comment good, I guess I'm growing up and added AU/AR to title, just to cover my reference to Lucius as a monarh..And I explained IMO he is the death eaters's ruler/head honcho/or whatever as well as the monarch of *his* family.

Now the word *russet* I did look this up and I've used it before in another PWP. In this story I use it to refer to Harry; When I got the emailed comment I felt strange, I know I have issues but I really didn't think this was one. Which leads me (after looking up the synonyms of russet again) to feel annoyed when well to do's give comments w/errors.

Well opinions help me know if I'm perhaps missing something in the two points above..besides *get a beta dammit*
  3. melodysnow
    melodysnow
    I think the controversy with the word 'russet' is a matter of connotation and denotation. On thefreedictionary.com, the first definition is "a moderate to strong brown," but if you scroll down, it says, "Literary reddish-brown." The literary definition is what most people are familiar with and therefore, associate russet hair with a coppery color. Personally, it might bother me a little at first (though not enough to pick at it), but after I looked it up to verify that it was, by definition, a dark brown, I wouldn't think twice about it. Most people though, won't look up words when they already have their own idea of what it means. I'm just weird like that. XD

In my head monarch/dictator/king are synonymous. And thinking back on Lucius' character, I can see him as having that sort of personality, but not that sort of power (lords and aristocrats are normally lower in position/ranking). Perhaps that's just my interpretation of his character though. I can understand why you would want to lean toward that particular word, especially if you wanted to give your readers more of a sense that he is in a powerful position. Though I would still most probably use aristocrat, only because I like the word and the connotation better.

I hope this helps and I know it probably sounds like I'm agreeing with them, but it's all really a matter of preference, both on the part of the author, and the readers. Some readers, myself included, adapt better to the authors preferences than others. And 'the others' have a bad habit of picking. ^^;; As to how I would respond, I think it would be upsetting, negative criticism usually is, imo. Also, how the comment was phrased was rather rude and that always makes it worse. I'm sure you probably took it a lot better than I would and I applaud you for that! I don't think I would really respond at all, I see no reason to talk to people like that. After I got over it, I would probably just do some research on my own and ask other people (who are more supportive), for their opinions.
  4. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    and thus (based on your last comment) I have asked others; which judging by the date it was posted and I asked you can see I *got over the issue* first. ^^

I like how you explain Lucius, I didn't really think of him in light of his social standing, you are correct as well I looked at his personality when I chose that word. Now I know next time aristocrat would probably be my first choice. lol

With russet, I guess thats why some people that learn English as a second language get the incorrect impression about words. (no not my 2nd language, I have enough trouble with my first) I didn't look up the word, I believe I just did a synonym check on brunette, and MS word gave me russet after some tweaking.

I did notice after checking again w/my newer 07 MS Word that brownish-red appears under the listing. ^^ I didn't get upset by it, nor the first person's comment that it referrers too. I did look over my work, as well as I can and make corrections where I could. Thanks for helping, this does help me look at my writing style in a different light, I do want to do better.
  5. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    GOD DAM....
    Not so much criticism but what happens when YOU become your worst critic? I feel like a ****ing light went on and now all my work looks like ****!

*aimless* I want to write but <,< ever get the feeling like it will never be the way you want. Or the way you perceive it SHOULD be? Ever look at your work and think where the hell did that crap come from...wait DID I DO THAT?! -explicative-

Now with secret Santa thats my best time for inspiration and I still feel like holy hell I just cant put a single word on paper w/o ripping it to shreds.

Anyone ever heard of Warwick University? David Morely Not that one person's opinion can make me feel discouraged, its a combination I suppose. Well has anyone ever been "here" before with your writing?
  6. melodysnow
    melodysnow
    I don't think that I ever leave that place with my writing. I'm rarely satisfied with anything that I write, although there is a line here or a paragraph there that I actually like. It can be very discouraging a majority of the time, but I think that when it does get to the point where you can't write at all, it's not necessarily a bad thing. When my discouragement or writer's block gets the best of me, I try not to think of it in a bad way (despite the obvious frustration). Taking a break can be good, writer's block can be good because when we stop writing for awhile we can look at our writing objectively, learn where our problem areas are, and improve. And then, when you start writing again, most of the time, you will come back much stronger; it will make you a better writer. My advise would be to not tear things up! Write whatever you want, force whatever you want and then leave it alone. Don't look at it at all and then when you get the urge to write again, pull out all the "crap" that you wrote and reread it... See what happens then.
  7. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    ^^ thanks for your thoughts. I guess I kinda did something like that. Only it was not intentional. And upon my review of "what I wrote" I felt so depressed. And the inspiration I sought just didn't happen. I think I'm too distracted with everything that goes on...but old habits die hard. I been trying not to stalk so much but can't keep me away all day. I got to see whats up. Today I discovered Aarin put up a new card request thread. ^^ Its something to look forward too I guess, I can only hope my favor card gets added, We'll see.
  8. HNCS
    HNCS
    I write with a few other people, we've got our own writer's club going. And we're always really honest with each other. if it's crap, it's crap. and if it's potentially good, we offer our own thoughts on where things need to be changed up and stuff. we also have a writing tutor that guides us once a week, and he's very straight forward in his criticism.........he can be harsh, but when he praises you it just means a million times more. lol when he says something is good, i do dances haha
  9. bklevy
    bklevy
    I totally am feeling what melodysnow says about not really being satisfied with anything you write yourself.... As a writer I find it a belated and drawn out process of self editing because its extremely tough stepping out of my writer's shoes and into my editor pants. I have to put things down for weeks and then pick it up again to really analyze and crack apart all the problems in my own stories...

I think the reason I tend not to review more often is because when I read something that I don't enjoy or that I have a lot of criticism about, I tend not to want to be the bad guy and say it all. I don't know the writer and if they are open to that criticism and I most certainly don't want to appear to be bashing anyone else. That whole, don't through stones when you live in a glass house theory, has done well by me... On the reverse I love harsh criticism. As a writer I thrive on honest and brutal reviews. So I try to review ideas mostly, I focus on believability and character development and try as much as possible to avoid giving overly negative response to anything. I suppose that makes me a terrible reviewer.
  10. GrayBeast
    GrayBeast
    I suppose I'm one of those writers that just likes to see comments; the good, the bad, the indifferent, and the just plain ugly. I would LOVE for someone to be brutally honest about my stories, but unless I specifically PM someone and ask for it (which I never do because then I feel like I'm being a nuisance; unless I'm looking for a beta), that sort of thing doesn't usually happen.

I don't tend to leave ConCrit on other people's stories either, as some folks tend to get angry when you don't sugar coat everything and say that what they wrote was pure genius. So, rather than getting flamed, I usually just tend to step away and not leave a comment at all.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast