aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Writing Help

1. Arigatomina
    Arigatomina
    @ChrisNoWait: You know what fic I'm talking about. ^^; It's been a constant headache not letting the readers influence the writing. I *am* coasting along one scene at a time, adding new stuff as it comes to me, but I do have an outline. If I deviate from it too far the whole thing will fall apart. And I'm a big fan of watching the wolf devour the hard-earned meal. To me, it's what makes the chase worth while.

@Ferus37: I read a long fic once that ended with a senseless death and a "oh, well" wrap up. I still get angry when I think of it. I know how bad it is for a reader when things don't pan out. That's why I feel bad. I abandoned a FF7 fic once because after three chapters it had a huge following - for the humor! And it was going to be angst and smut with bits of humor to offset the macabre. I still have people finding that old thing and asking me to continue it, not knowing that if I ever did finish it they'd all be wishing I hadn't. Since then I've been warning readers when they start expecting bunnies while I've got wolves waiting in the wings. This particular fic, I'm going to stick to the plan no matter how it upsets them. I just wish I'd warned them earlier that there was a brick wall coming so the roadrunner won't be escaping any longer. I suck at foreshadowing. My dots are too far apart for people to connect. ^^;
  2. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    @Arigatomina, I love that chase..now that I put it in perspective lol! I love the pace of your stories and I feel whatever surprise comes, we will love it! (speaking as a loyal reader) the only thing that keeps me from reading is my own updates, I try not to, now until I get my update out my head. =3 Then my fav's wont influence my writing, which I worry about more than ever.

@All I have a delema...I am forcing myself to do a "lengthy" prologue, and wonder how others feel about them, if they are really needed. This is original if that makes a difference for some. I generally dont do them but I think the " self created universe" needs some backbone..but its stumping me >__< *pouts and skips to next chap*..
  3. TigreHielo
    TigreHielo
    Greetings all! I just joined.

@ CrisNoWait - Unless you start your story at the beginning, a prologue can be a great tool. This is especially true if you have created your own story universe or are picking up the story after a major event readers might not understand. If your readers can't click with the characters and event(s) right from the start you've lost them. There's nothing to connect them. The key to a prologue, is to know exactly what to include. Don't go overboard, just present the facts needed for them to jump into the start of your story.
  4. Miko
    Miko
    @ CrisNoWait - I personally don't like the idea of a lengthy prologue, unless it's an introductory scene that gives the reader a flash of what's to come or a tiny glimpse of what precipitated what happens in the story.

It's more fun for me if the writer slips in these little bits and pieces that make up a complex universe into various parts of the story (sort of weaving it into the tapestry of the story) - instead of getting an explanation before the story begins.

That's not to say some writers can pull of a really engaging prologue that serves that purpose... it's not something I would try though, especially when the story itself will provide many opportunities to incorporate bits of history or background in interesting ways.
  5. TigreHielo
    TigreHielo
    Not sure why the double post happened............... It may be that my internet connection has been acting up today.
  6. orangewillow
    orangewillow
    @Cris: Personally, when I am reading, I prefer not to be given too much up front. I would rather get bits and pieces as the story progresses. I am also in the firm belief that if writing something doesn't feel right, or you feel like you have to force it, it probably shouldn't be written. That's just me though!
  7. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    wow thank you all, I did edit it down to about 2-3 sentences just the bare bone so they know its a fantasy, ^_^ I rewrite so much anyway I know I'll hate it by the time I get my fist chp done. Thanks for the insight.

@Willow I noted you never (let me say I've not seen one) in the stories I follow. That should have told me to be clever..=3. I notice many of the great writers I follow do very short or none at all. Your thoughts help a lot thanks you very much.
    @Miko..u__u I know what you mean, and had almost 2 pgs then cut it to pieces, I didn't like it at all. So now just a brief "narration sort of thing" then the start. Thanks very much.
    @TigreHielo Thank you very much for that, I guess what feel right I should write, I can understand the need to capture my readers with in the first 3 min. (my own self test of a great fiction) or I will lose them. I'm working on it thanks for your thoughts..^^)
  8. Ferus37
    Ferus37
    I also tend to give out bits and pieces as the story progresses. And if I can pull it off I enjoy mentioning things that aren't explained immediately. (That's a rare occurrence.)
    When I read I do enjoy for example getting a piece of information late in a book that connects with something earlier in it. Doesn't have to be something important, I just really love the feeling when you think back to the beginning of the story and go "Aha! That explains it!"

I usually just start a story when I write, but sometimes chapter 1 doesn't feel like chapter 1. It feels more like something that should be before chapter one. That's when I end up making a prologue.

I may be one of the most disorganized writers out there... I very rarely write anything down until it is needed in the story (and sometimes don't even plan ahead).
  9. CrisNoWait
    CrisNoWait
    @Ferus, thats cute funny how I did that with my HP thing, just little info that I am working on tyeing together already dropped a major plot lead (from that obscure thing several chapters ago) One reader mentioned they got "it" Lol

I wonder about PO V's not first or 2nd, I do my best work from a "global", (dont know if I'm using the correct term) I write as if I am the 'eye of god' watching things unfold. That being the case, I wonder if it is confusing,

"Reflecting on each characters emotions"

"Seeing things through each person's eyes, how they perceive things"

"Thinking for both sides in one chapter"

Is it really ok to switch back and forth between 2 perspectives in one scene or should I break it up between chapters. Depending on which person is the main focus.

*hope this is not confusing*
  10. Arigatomina
    Arigatomina
    Omniscient Third Person? The eye of God.
    You know, if you're God you can zoom in on any character you want and eavesdrop on his thoughts to find out why he's doing what he does. That'll let you watch the scene from some place near the ceiling, while hearing the thoughts of everyone involved and getting a close up any time you want.

I don't like creating a narrator for my stories. I'm not particularly dry when I describe things, it turns into a commentary and there's a definite personality involved. I pick a character, zoom in close, and tell his (limited 3rd?) pov and then hop over to another when his take is more pertinent, or zoom out and get a bird's eye view for general action scenes (where that personality of the commentator won't be too distracting). It's really confusing for my readers, unfortunately. I try to only jump to a new character's perspective when that person says something - that way the entire paragraph can be his dialogue and his pov. I think I got the idea from some old poorly done smut fics where the pov jumped with each paragraph (during sex scenes) so you get to know what both of them are thinking and feeling with each 'action'. I do the "taking turns" thing, but I do try make it easier to follow with my own stories. It lets me borrow the personality of the character, and his way of wording/viewing something, so that no part of the story is stuck with a single narrative voice.

I've read fics that were done in first person or limited third, where it tells one scene from character A's perspective and then retells that same scene from character B's perspective. I find that redundant and a little annoying. I wouldn't mind if they told the scene from A and then - when they switch to B - had him flashback to his thoughts during that scene before following him through a new scene. That way you get both characters' opinion on what happened but you don't have to sit through it again. Watching every scene twice gets old really fast. I also really dislike reading a fic that breaks each pov into a new section. When you have to add headers to tell whose POV you're writing from, it strikes me as...poor, distracting. Just start it out with his name or a thought that makes it clear you're in his head now. It's like those older fics that put a "~~Flashback~~" header before flashbacks. If it's written like a flashback then your readers should know it's a flashback. [Pet Peeve]
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast