aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

AarinNerds

1. unsteady
    unsteady
    I admire teachers, I've been very lucky to have had very few bad experiences with teachers. Usually I have had wonderful teachers/professors who let me write about what I felt passionate about.

Being in education is very hard, like Artemis said, poor pay, being seen by students as the enemy, being undervalued by society. One of my librarian friends recently decided to get a transfer from her library due to being cursed at and threatened by Teens in the library. It's even worse than most schools because not very many library's (none in my area) have security and in this case none of the other librarians would even back her up.
  2. Rukin
    Rukin
    O.o that's terrible! Isn't there something to do about that? O.o
  3. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    Here is something I've been seriously contemplating of late: the tendency for anime characters to "disappear" through things and appear in alternate dimensions. I believe Kagome from "Inuyasha" is a typical example, whereas Yuuri in "Kyou Kara Maou" parodied that trope.

What do you guys think of this? I've been considering focusing my diss on this topic, though only on Western works of children's literature (Alice in Wonderland, The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, etc.). But I find it fascinating that it exists so prevalently in the world of anime, too.
  4. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    *bump* ...
  5. Purogia
    Purogia
    Hey, I'm the guy who's interested in quantum mechanics and the like (looking forward to seeing what happens at the LHC at CERN) and who's looking at grad school in math, so this probably isn't my place, what with this striking me as a lot more humanities-based.

To prove that this probably isn't my place, this is how I'd interpret the disappearing through things: that looks to me like the simplest way of creating a scenario of the form "character from culture/world x ends up in culture/world y and hilarity or action or whatever ensues".
  6. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    It's humanities-based because I'm in humanities and I started the group!

No, but I think that's a valid point. It's certainly a good catalyst for an exciting story. And "culture shock," or "species shock" for sci-fi / fantasy, is extremely common in fictional narratives. The main character is generally "just like us" (think Ichigo from Bleach), and gets sucked into a weird world, allowing us to experience its oddities alongside him.
  7. Starlightshadow
    Starlightshadow
    I think the disappearing often happens through ordinary objects to point out that what happens is anything but ordinary, and that everything taken for granted in one world might have an utterly different connotation in the "mirror world".

Oh, btw! Sorry to butt in so suddenly!
  8. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    NO OMG THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR POSTING!!!! I thought this group was going to die!!

Please! Expand more on your theory here of opposing / mirroring worlds; it's very interesting! By "ordinary objects," do you mean like the "ordinary" well that Kagome falls through, the EXTREMELY (even purposefully amusing) "ordinary" toilet that Yuuri falls through? I am even thinking of the little items that serve as "jumping points" (like an old shoe) in the Harry Potter universe.
  9. Kenichi4811
    Kenichi4811
    Im curious if anyone here has opinions on the philosophy of Objectivism, I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged, and im reading another Ayn Rand book, We the living, I'm actually really enjoying her writings.
  10. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    I haven't read any Ayn Rand (sacrilege, I know!); but I'll research Objectivism and get back to you on that ^^
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast