aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

AarinNerds

1. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    Well said!

Well, by "departments," I'm talking about the university level. Universities are usually separated by colleges or departments. Oxford is famous for its series of little colleges for example. My "department" is the English Department; we have a Department Head, an Assistant Head, and they report to the Dean of the College, which is probably something like the College of Liberal Arts. We don't really associate with others outside the department, except perhaps the French, Spanish, and German people.
  2. Rukin
    Rukin
    sokka thanks for explaining it to me
    and thanks for the compliment *blush*
  3. yvynee
    yvynee
    Hi Rukin! Well said indeed!

Now - I do like to use a lot of irony while speaking about the system over here but I should have explained first:
    There were many changes going on in the university-system over here and hardly anyone knew who was in charge of what. Some professors adapted to the new system and constant changes, some didn't. Also, you're right, Artemis, I'm sure it's frustrating when your students don't appreciate your effort. And it's a fact - many do not appreciate their teachers, or don't know how to do it. With university-life becoming rather unstable, many are losing motivation (students as well as teachers). Numbers of students are rising but the institutes can hardly adapt to it. Also, I heard the teachers don't get paid adequately. So I guess that's how the distance grew. I heard it wasn't always this difficult. We all want to believe it'll be better once everything is settled.
  4. Rukin
    Rukin
    I'm still in high school so I don't know that much about college life, and maybe the situation over there with you guys is totally different I don't know >.<'
    there are a few (thinks of the most proper word...) levels of education here
    you've got VMBO, which consist of four sub-levels (the lowest level), 4 years of high school
    there's HAVO, 5 years of high school
    and there's VWO, consisting of Atheneum and Gymnasium. 6 years of high school
    My own school only supports the levels HAVO and VWO, and when I visited a school which only supports VMBO I was shocked at the difference in mentality.
    Teachers there don't give a shit about their students and some are almost afraid of them, the students call each other names as a greeting and walk around with knifes and stuff like that.
    I'm not saying everyone over there is stupid, far from it (just because I learn a bit more easily doesn't make me superior to them at all), but the way they treat each other is just respectless. How can anyone get motivation to learn in such an enviroment? O.o (sorry for spelling mistakes, english is not my native tongue >.<')
  5. yvynee
    yvynee
    Yeah. Such an environment doesn't make you really -enjoy- school life. I know two girls (well, actually women now) who graduated from an unmotivating school. What went on there is actually not allowed. Some things were against the law. But it seems the school had some special agreement with someone higher up, because there was never any kind of inspection, which normally occurs once a year. Hardly anyone from that school continued to higher education. Those two though, had developed very though skin, so they made it. My family moved around a lot, so I was sometimes in better, sometimes in worse schools. I remember, in third grade (elementary), I had a rather sadistic teacher (humiliation in front of class, sometimes striking students with their notebooks etc.). The problem is, she was very nice to parents and colleagues and made us feel that everything is our fault. So, who's gonna believe you if you complain? My mother moved me to another school after I developed an eating disorder. That was when that teacher finally was sujected to inspection. She claimed I was asocial and a liar. So I was under inspection too. I proved myself in my new school so I was left alone. She only got warned and was still allowed to teach. I suppose law is very lenient to teachers.
    Such a thing never happened to me again, but I do feel sorry for the students who had to continue with her.
  6. Rukin
    Rukin
    damn, I can get so angry about that you know
    being a teacher you hold the future of your students in your hands, you can't slack off cause you'll bring the future down with you! *goes on rampage in his room*
    At our school only once there was a teacher who was fired...
    He just read out loud what was in the book and never explained anything, while expecting us to get straight Ten's (we work with a number-gradingsystem, a ten is perfect and 5,5 is the edge weither it's still 'sufficient' (don't know what else to call it >.<'))
    so he pretty much didn't do anything and was fired.
    thankfully the other teacher at our school ar mostly decent and pretty nice
  7. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    Hey now ... let's not get TOO down on teachers *cough, cough*

We work for LOW wages, long hours, in difficult sometimes frightening situations. I've had students curse at me, walk out in the middle of class, argue with me, confront me and threaten me in my office. And I barely make enough money to pay my rent each month, and I can't afford health insurance. Being a teacher is one of the hardest jobs on earth. Students walk into the classroom with the mentality that YOU are the enemy, when in fact, they have no idea that you've given up everything to accept this job, and that you wouldn't be here, taking such low pay and working under such shoddy conditions (we don't have hot water in my building! And some of the offices have mold).

So there are "bad" teachers, but remember that that bad teacher is a person, too, and who knows why she's become the person she is now. But most of us care, and it really breaks our hearts when students say things like, "teachers are so mean and should all be fired" or whatever.
  8. arinna
    arinna
    that's why i refused to be a teacher when i finished university. my friends who did become "enlighteners" curse their days now, or have already fled the battlefield.

and yes, the pay DOES suck...
  9. yvynee
    yvynee
    *nods nods* It's a difficult subject...
    I do admire you, Artemis, for choosing to be a teacher. I would never have the patience.
  10. Rukin
    Rukin
    I wanna be a teacher myself, so I'll never EVER badmouth them ^^
    and yeah I do tend to forget the 'bad' teachers may have their reasons for acting like this, all people have reasons for their actions
    I respect every teacher a LOT, also the 'bad' teachers, cause they simply don't give up and there has to be a good reason why they wanna do a job that pays this badly
    so Artemis-san I also respect you a great deal ^^
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast