aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

AarinNerds

1. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    Oh, fun thesis!! Hmm, let me think.

OOC: out of character

kawaii: cute

sugoi: awesome!

adding -sama, -chan endings (as a fanfic writer, I will get "Artemis-sama" ... whether it's deserved or not is debatable lol)

This is this "jujuju" thing that some kids too. I think it's an expression of cute, gleeful happiness.

All the words to describe fanfiction: fic, ficlet, drabble, etc.

"Art dump" -- when someone posts a lot of artwork to LJ or something ... I think "fic dump" works, too.

Pairing words: pairing, crack pairing, canon, etc.
  2. yvynee
    yvynee
    Thank you!!
    Yeah, it IS fun to research and all - but still she has to struggle against discrimination. Very few professors find themselves able to take her subject seriously because she is a fan herself. You should have seen them roll their eyes while she presented her idea. <_<
    However, they let her do it because they have no real reason to reject it.

Also: cosplay-terms are welcome too!
  3. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    THAT is a shame. She should be in another department. Pop culture studies is VERY accepted in my own department. We have a queer studies guy who's also into rhetoric and children's lit; I don't doubt he's dabbled in manga and anime. My own major professor once attended a conference presentation on Harry Potter slash. For your friends colleagues and professors to ROLL THEIR EYES at her idea is NOT a good environment for fostering new and innovative ideas. What a shame.
  4. yvynee
    yvynee
    Yeah, I know. Our department isn't exactly an encouraging one. Many others have the same problem. I heard the professors are inclined to commit some of their time to you if you're interested in something they are researching themselves. Or claim to be, in order to just get over and done with it.
  5. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    Dare I ask what school you are at? *bats eyes*

I thought of more phrases--the so-called "capslock" phrases:
    LOL
    FTW
    PWN
    WTF
    etc.

Visit the LJ comm "capslock_bleach" for more.
  6. yvynee
    yvynee
    XD
    Now I have to say something good about it, in order to not ruin its reputation x))
    OK: The teachers actually talk to you in person (outside class)! I heard that at the History-of-Arts-department you have to pass everything through the secretary. Although...it does seem to work over there...the e-mails I sent to MY professor last week were ignored. Argh! I wanted to say something GOOD! >.<
    Retry: In the way we are treated I like to see some hidden encouragement. Like: "After you live through this and achieve the required standard with only your own stubbornness/confidence/arrogance as a moral support we shall regard you as a full human being." x))
    Aaah... being frustrated with the system doesn't make it easy to say something good about it!
  7. yvynee
    yvynee
    PS: Thanks for the capslock-suggestion!
  8. Rukin
    Rukin
    hello everyone
    I'm new here, hope I can fit in
    what are you guys talking about?
  9. Artemis Moonsong
    Artemis Moonsong
    Yo Rukin!!

Right now I think we're talking about internet speak, or the culture of internet speak, I guess. yvynee has a friend who is writing her thesis on internet speak, mostly (I believe) as it pertains to anime and manga.

yvynee ~ Honestly, you should not feel "privileged" that you go to a school where teachers actually speak to you on a person-to-person basis. An instructor or professor who does not take the time to speak to a student on a human level frankly does not belong in the field of education. I care about each and every one of my students, and I know that in turn all of my professors care about me. So if anything, you should EXPECT your teachers to be there for you. It's not some sort of boon that you should feel like you are lucky to receive.

Then again, I have to admit, when you care about students so much, and they do not return the favor, it can make this job very, very hard.

On the other hand, as a graduate student, I would not waste my time with a department that didn't give a rat's ass whether I succeeded or not.
  10. Rukin
    Rukin
    I agree with you, though I'm still in high school (I'm dutch so there's obviously a different system as I don't really understand everything you guys are saying about departments)
    I want to become a math teacher and I've kind of been investigating my own teachers. What I think a teacher or anyone involved with education should be capable of is explaining the subject, notice when someone doesn't get it and be able to symphatize with his/her students, meaning he/she knows what it's like to be in the other's shoes and respect the students, despite their lack of knowledge cause it's your responsibility to make them more knowledgeable!
    about 3/4 of the teachers at my school posses these skills, which is a lot compared to other schools, but as I said before, I think it's something every teacher/professor should be capable of.
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast