aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Easter Meals

1. Preeh
    Preeh
    Starting a discussion about meals for Easter and other holidays around it (e.g Hocktide)

I'd be interested to know:

1. What are traditional meal for Easter served where you live?
    2. What Meals will you prepare for this Easter?
    3. What drinks will you serve with the meal?

Feel free to include the recipes as well. Thank you!

Here's my answer to the questions:
    1. In a cooking book I inherited from my grandma there are some recipes listed as traditional Easter meals:
    On Easter itself you're supposed to eat Noodle-soup as starter, Loin-roast with noodles and cress as main dish and Omelette soufflé for dessert.
    On Easter Monday it's the following: Dumpling soup as starter, pike with creams sauce and potato purée as main dish and a potato cake as dessert.

2. This Easter I will be alone, so I don't have to cook for anyone. So I can try many different recipes, hence I started this discussion.

3. Water and tea. If I would have the family over probably some white wine as well for the pike and some red wine for the roast.
  2. Kealyan
    Kealyan
    Hummmmm........... You're making me hungry XD

Ok, here comes the French Easter Meal! (I won't give the recipe lol, it's not the topic!)

So to answer your questions:

1. What are traditional meal for Easter served where you live?

The first dish is generally "Foie Gras" with some bread or toast and with some red berries jam. Some prefer onion compote. To go with the Fois Gras (if you are a big eater ^^), you can add some asparagus ^^ In France, it's a tradition to eat what we call "l'Agneau Pascal" as the main dish (It's roasted lamb! Don't ask me why it's called Pascal, I don't know XD). Traditionnally, it's eaten with white beans or green beans but those who don't like beans can replace it with mashed potatoes (Purée de pomme de terre!) or other things. The dessert now.... Chocolate Eggs XD No seriously, you can eat whatever you want as a dessert but some like to do what is called "Nid de Pâques". It's a brioche in the forme of a nest and inside you put the chocolate eggs.

First dish - Foie Gras
    (Sorry I wanted to put the pics in a spoiler but the forum say I can't, it's not allow, sorry -_-)

Main Dish - Gigot d'Agneau

Dessert - Nid de Pâques

2. What Meals will you prepare for this Easter?

I'm responsible for the dessert!!! but as we aren't that fond of brioche, I'll do a "gâteau au yaourt" (yogurt cake) It's really easy to make and lighter ^^ Then I can add anything I want on it! Jam, Nutella etc....

3. What drinks will you serve with the meal?

Hum.... Hard to say, I don't drink alcool except champagne so I'll probably drink apple juice and my mother and sister will drink some wine. White to go with the foie gras, red to go with the main dish and champagne for the dessert. ^^

There, I hope I answer your question and I hope I didn't do too much spelling mistake... If it's the case, gomen nasai!
  3. lv1ath3n
    lv1ath3n
    Those both sound great! My family throws a huge party and has a potluck style meal (50-70 ppl). It's very nontraditional. People out here have baked ham, my family also does traditional Filipino dishes like pancit canton (a noodle dish), lumpia (like fried egg roll), and ginataan (a thick coconut soup with rice balls we call bilu bilo). My grandfather used to make gabi (a spicy stew of taro leaves), so every once in a while someone will prepare that too. An uncle is fond of Italian cooking so he will sometimes prepare something as well, and many of my relatives bring various desserts from the store. Drinks are whatever someone picked up, and now that the cousins are grown it often includes vodka or wine coolers.
  4. BloodLustX
    BloodLustX
    Unfortunately enough, my family doesn't celebrate Easter so we don't have a feast and such over at my house BUT some of the mentioned dishes above looks great and if you guys got some really good recipe to share, please do! (So I can steal it )
    [Especially @Kealyan! THAT DESSERT....*Q*...] [@Preeh and @lv1, please do share your dessert recipes, e.g. omelette soufle and ginataan respectively, here too! )
  5. lv1ath3n
    lv1ath3n
    @BL; ginataan is usually my grandma's thing. the most i've done is help roll doughballs. it's def on my list, but not necessarily for the near future~
  6. Preeh
    Preeh
    Omelette soufflé

@BLX; here you go.

Ingredienents
    - 6 eggs
    - 100g icing suggar
    - 5g flour

Preparation
    1. beat the egg whites
    2. mix the yolk with suggar until it gets frothy
    3. then add the flour to the suggar mixture
    4. gently mix the beaten egg whites and the suggar mixture

Use oil or fat to cover the baking pans. Distribute the mixture into small cake pans and bake. --> sorry the original recipe doesn't include temperature and there is no description of baking time either.
    I'd go for 200 - 220°C for about 10-15min. Time depends on the size of the baking pans you use.

It's nice and delicious and goes well with ice cream or hot fruits.
  7. BloodLustX
    BloodLustX
    @Preeh Oh, this is the kind of recipes I like. (Short and simple but looks tasty )

Thanks for the recipe and the additional baking tip! Just curious, would a cupcake pan work instead of cake pans?
  8. Preeh
    Preeh
    @BLX, a cupcake pan should work as well. Just pay attention to them while you're baking them. Because I can't say how that influences the baking time...
    Additionally refrain from opening your oven, because the cooler air might destroy the soufflés.