aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

What's that about?!

1. meryvamp
    meryvamp
    MAJOR Spoiler ALERTs!!! So do NOT continue reading this if you have NOT read both Chapter 1 and 2!!! Click Here to go to Starfighter comic and read the chapters.

I'd like to discuss some of the plot twists that HamletMachine has conveniently skimmed over throughout the first two chapters of Starfighter. I don't know if other Starfighter fans have noticed them and noted these interesting twist of event, but maybe we can discuss them here and find out together what Hamlet has in store for us

1) The two commanders. Commander Bering, which I believe Cain reports to, and which I believe is the Commander for the fighters. The other Commander is Commander Cook, which is introduced in Chapter two, and which a fellow navigator says Abel is Cook's "little prodigy." We also see Cook a little later, and he looks similar to the navigators, so I believe he is the Commander for the navigators. No other Commanders have been mentioned at this point, but there might be others. Still, it is interesting to think that Abel will receive his orders from Cook, while it is already obvious that Cain is working for/with Bering. Perhaps, Bering is even trying to sabotage Commander Cook somehow

2) The Mother. In Chapter 2, a new character was introduced if only briefly, and we were told her name was Mother. She was consulted by the Alliance Intelligence, and she advised them to strike before it was too late. So is she psychic? Can she see into the future? And why are there two other women with her? Does she consult with others? So many more questions pop up when dealing with this one character. But above all, just how much power do women hold over men? Are they more powerful, or is she something else entirely?

3) I guess call me impatient, but what exactly are the Colterons? What do they look like? Why did they start a war with the humans? What do they want exactly? Our resources? Our lives as food, interbreeding? I'm assuming they are aliens and not androids/robotic/machine/man-made species that suddenly rebelled....but I guess that's possible as well

All right, I think that's enough to get the ball going. Feel free to add anything that I missed
  2. AarinsRitsuka
    AarinsRitsuka
    I agree with all of that. I especially find Mother interesting. How much influence does she have besides on the station. Just she have more power than control on Earth?

I also have another question (mostly one out of curiosity and a bit impatient if that's what you want to call it): What is Cain's mission exactly. Towards the end of chapter one something is obviously going on. Those two where paired for a reason and everyone can probably see that. But I think Abel is being used to get to his father or something. If you remember in chapter two when he has that dream and he was talking to Cain Abel said that his father was a politician. Makes me also wonder what kind of politician his father is. Is his father involved in some big secret of sorts. To me it seems like some sort of conspiracy theory or something and it's exciting
  3. CrimsonCross
    CrimsonCross
    I'm curious about the Colterons too. My thought is that maybe the rock creature that Hammlet has drawn is one of them but that is just me connecting the comic with her other pictures so probably not. XD
  4. meryvamp
    meryvamp
    Gee, I thought of a few more things..........

1) The Navigators versus the fighters
    How are they classified? I know we don't have any answers yet, but oh it is killing me. So, are you just born into being a navigator? Like since Abel came from a rich family that automatically qualified him to be a navigator. Otherwise he would've been a fighter? I think they classify them based on social status and that perhaps back on Earth, lower class and upper class have been divided by hair color and eye color long ago.
    But well, Abel is also technically an exception since he has dark eyes and dark eyebrows. He probably shouldn't be a navigator or a fighter. This might be why Commander Bering assigned Cain to him?

2) The Plants and Trees. In Chapter two on p. 38 I noticed that during Abel's flashbacks/dreams the trees and plants are encased/enclosed by glass or indoors. I wonder if the Colterons are after Earth's trees and that's why they are indoors? Or if Earth's surface was damaged in some way and perhaps, this is the only way for the humans to effectively plant trees now and receive oxygen? Hmmm....makes you think.

3) So what happened to Cain's other navigators? If you remember in Chapter two, the brief story that Cain already had 2 other navigators before Abel, but we don't know what happened to them. Are they dead because Commander Bering did something to them? Or did they just get reassigned because Cain got bored with them? Do you think we will eventually see them later on in the story? Share your thoughts.

4) Where are all the women? This is in regards to the fact that we know and have seen Abel's mother, so we know there are women on Earth. Where are women fighters/navigators? Well, my only guess on this one would be that they also keep the sexes separate as they keep the social status separate. If they have a ship of men fighters and navigators, perhaps and hopefully, they have a ship of women fighters and navigators. That's my best guess on this one.

5) So, why does it appear that gay sex is so accepted on the ship?
    When Abel and Cain first "hook up," Abel tries to stop Cain by saying, "If the commanders knew," which almost makes it sound like a sexual relationships between a navigator and fighter is something that's forbidden. Even later in Chapter two, when Abel is making out with Cain in the hallway, he suddenly realizes they could get caught and Cain starts to whisper that they should go somewhere else. However, from all the looks they receive and from Cain's obvious marks on Abel's body, it makes it apparent to almost everyone what they are doing. It seems that PERHAPS other navigator/fighter teams do the same thing.
    My theory is that "sex" is generally turned a blind eye to, but if anyone catches you, you would probably be reported to one of the Commanders. The reason: they don't want you getting too intimate with your teammate or developing an emotional attachment which would impair your ability to function on a mission. But it seems that Cain is a special case and has special privileges (i.e. he is actually assigned to be intimate with his navigators).

Okay, that's all I have for now. Please post your thoughts
  5. YumeNoTsuzuki
    YumeNoTsuzuki
    As meryvamp said, are there any female fighters? This piqued my interest too.

And I really want to find out what Cain actually thinks about Abel. He seems mean, posessive but not uncaring. We shall see~~
  6. wrocLOVE
    wrocLOVE
    I red some interviews with Hammie and of course she couldn't tell about plot points but revealed some secrets about a Starfighter universe. So we know Abel's real name is Ethan and he's 23-24 years old and is from Earth, we don't know a real name of Cain yet (but Hammie promised that we'll know later) but he's younger than Abel about one or 2 years and he is from some Earth's colony and some of his ancestors were originally from Russia and that's why he has an accent (it appears especially when he's stressed). Able loves bikes and he has one on Earth. He's a geek and a nerd. He has a iguana and it's called Newton (this was sort of joke because when everybody saw the picture of Abel's room with the iguana on dA people asked "Eeeh, what's lizard's name?" and somebody joked it's Newton but Hammie did like it so probably it's stayed that's way). Ethan is a bit of overachiever so he's not popular in Navigators' circle. Navigators are mostly people from rich families who have money to pay for genetic modifications of their own children, that's why a Navigators' status is better and they're more valuable than Fighters. But it's not an inverse dependence - it means not all genetically mutated rich children will be Navigators, we could see that Ethan's father wanted to see his son in politics. We know that Fighters and Navigators have some formal training and Navigators' one is slightly longer. They can have homosexual relationships but between their owns. Mixed relationships between Navigators and Fighters are prohibited, I don't know the prohibition is formal (by law) or socially unacceptable. We know that there somewhere are ships with females' Navigators/ Fighters and they're similar to males' ones but probably they won't be shown in comics. The Mother and two other women have mighty mind's powers and they're very important but we'll know more about them later. When the last interview was published Hammie said she hadn't decided yet what will Colterons look like.
  7. bra00724
    bra00724
    Wow. That's a lot of information. Thank you
  8. wrocLOVE
    wrocLOVE
    You're welcome! These are some bits information from different interviews and some of them are answers for questions from comments on dA or her Starfighter site. Ah, one more thing, the Earth doesn't look like today, most of countries/ states don't exist or they're in big one Federation and cooperate together as one. We don't know anything about an Opposition, lawbreakers or just anybody who does anything out of system.
  9. meryvamp
    meryvamp
    @wrocLOVE: Thanks soooo much for all the info! That helped clear up a lot of questions I had

I still can't wait to see what Hammie comes up with as far as what the Colterons will look like!!!
  10. Cabel
    Cabel
    I basically died when wrocLOVE said Abel was older than Cain.

Died in a good way. Man, I could have sworn they were at most 19 and 21 (Cain being older) but now that Abel is 24 and Cain 23-22. I for some reason love them even more.

And yes, Navigators definitely have longer training, (did Abel start later and end later? How much longer has Cain been in the Alliance than Abel? Obviously enough to have a 3rd Navigator. And where ARE all the women? That seems to be the biggest question!)

Thank you so much for that info wrocLOVE!!! *hugs*
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast