aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

How does KSB compare to other BL series in your opinion?

1. egetsunaikeike
    egetsunaikeike
    It's been ___ many units of time since I formed this group, so lets celebrate! ;D

But really, I'm posting a new discussion to get the ball rolling for once in a while. I've been neglecting you, my minions, and for that I sincerely apologize .... Okay, sentimentality over. Let me explain the title for everyone.

There have been a large number of BL series published (mostly) from that little island country in a distant land thousands of miles away, and yet out of all of them, each of us happened upon this great little gem of Boys' Love action. Now, since we've all proclaimed our love in various ways through this group, it's clear to me that this is your favorite yaoi of all time (don't worry it doesn't have to be worrywarts), but why is it? How can we tell? Why not compare them to the hundreds upon hundreds of other bad, mediocre, and great yaoi series out there in order to get the answer I desire?

So, this discussion can basically go in any direction you guys want it to, but as a suggestion for anyone still confused, answer this question for me if you please: what makes The Tyrant Falls in Love better than the other series that Takanaga Hinako-sensei has written? Or do you think she's written a better one (which you are allowed to think, I guess) and why? Of course, a comparison can be made to any yaoi series or author that you can think of, and for those who wish to be alienated, you are free to comment on why other BL series are better than KSB .... it is completely acceptable, just try not to troll for my own sanity kukukuh.

I'll post my opinion later; in the meantime, I await your replies and anticipate great debates to unfold! Get to it!
  2. KuroneShizuhi
    KuroneShizuhi
    It's been some time since I last read Koisuru Boukun, so I'll just write whatever I can recall for now.

What makes me attracted to any particular manga are these 2.5 points.
    Storyline - 1 point.
    Art - 1 point.
    Characters - 0.5 point.

The storyline of Koisuru Boukun, although might be somewhat cliched (like seriously, most Yaoi really are cliched), but I like the pacing of it. The pacing and flow of the manga has been realistic.

The art is without an argument, magnificent, so in this case it receives my 10/10 for this category xD I really love the way Hinako sensei draws the smex scenes. I love those blushes and those breathes of hot air that comes out of their mouths xD

As for Characters, yes, Souichi is definitely one of my favourite character, and Midorikawa Hikaru must be credited for it too. He placed the voice of Souichi in my head. For the rest of my life. I am defenseless to long-hair characters. I like the way Souichi's hair flays out when Morinaga pushes him down * W * and his personality is entertaining to boot xD
  3. Sessinara
    Sessinara
    ok...I just saw this here.^^ After a long time something happens again
    today I FINALLY bought volume 7...because in germany it was published just now

mhh what I like about KB?...I like first and forall the characters...even if the story is a bit cliché...who cares! I like the feel of it...and that I can read it everytime...(I can almost say every word from the first volume. it never gets old...) I just love the story~♥
    I love all the Manga from Takanaga-sensei but this is my favorite...I like the art, the story and the characters...and I'm getting weak for Morinaga because he's the good hearted type...I just love such characters...and the stubborn characters as well. Soichi is just cute...he lies to himself but reacts so funny...I like that, too.
  4. lovelylaur75
    lovelylaur75
    KSB is my favorite BL series ever. Why? Let me explain...

This is the first yaoi I found on my own. (Thanks to aarinfantasy and the ovas!) Others I read before were recommended to me by a co-worker. A lot of it wasn't my thing. Too much overly feminine ukes, and very dominating semes. I wanted something with more of a romantic feel, and sweetness balanced with appealing sex scenes. So, after stumbling on KSB ovas, I wanted more! Once I started the manga, I was hooked.

*Her art style. I just adore it. Sempai's blushing, Morinaga's blushing, Mori's longing stares, Sempai's apprehensiveness. Their eyes. I can always feel Morinaga's passion for Sempai through the pages. She is so wonderful with body language and facial expressions. Visually, she can make just a kiss erotic.

*The characters. I love this pairing. Mori and Sempai are so refreshing! Opposite personalities between the sheets. Humorous and interesting, not to mention sexy. And they are sooo sexy. Having a confused/homophobic uke was pretty surprising to me. Totally got me hooked, always wanting to finally see him accept his feelings towards Morinaga. Their relationship is a complicated one, which kept me interested. They both have many faults, but also many positive aspects to their personalities.

*The plot. We have drama, we have romance, we have comedy. A great mix in my opinion. I like the focus on family, and the struggles one can go through because of family. To have the issue of coming out, and gay marriage as topics is also enthralling. To be that balance for each other, shows Mori and Sempai are compatible. (Ex. Sempai's family is more accepting of Tomoe's lifestyle vs Morinaga's family looks down on him: they can comfort each other)

*Most of all I love this series because it gives us the idea that love knows no gender/orientation. I honestly think Sempai couldn't be with anyone other than Morinaga. Like he says "Because its you" he is physically intimate with Mori. I think Morinaga just gets Sempai, and they're meant to be. Its a series I can read over and over again and still get butterflies. I love Mori's resolve and the tsundere that is Sempai.

I wish it would have continued
  5. egetsunaikeike
    egetsunaikeike
    Ahahaha I agree with everyone!

....... Okay, I know that's a bad answer, I can't help that I'm lazy as hell .... but truthfully, I really do feel the same way that you guys do about Tyrant.

Despite the "rape" scene being their first sexual encounter (I personally believe it was merely Morinaga's restraint exploding, but others can feel differently), the only reason I could feel comfortable with their relationship and continue to read was due to the pacing of the plot. If Senpai had started to realize his feelings for Morinaga any earlier, the story wouldn't have worked as well for me. It likes One Piece in that way: of all the shounen manga out there, OP took its time to build up its characters and their relationships to one another, which is why it can illicit an emotional response as if the reader was one of the Strawhats. KSB made me feel the exact response that Takanaga-sensei expected me to have. Whenever Morinaga longed for Senpai to understand him, I felt frustrated for Morinaga and wanted Senpai to feel the same way too; when Senpai, however, felt that Morinaga was pressuring him unnecessarily, I wanted to soothe Souichi out of his confusion. Not many series has this kind of power .... but perhaps I personally just get easily sucked into a great story.

Like Sessinara and lovelylaur75 said, this is a series I can easily read again and again. I'll never get bored with it, and this couple will live in my heart eternally as an example of "two people who are meant to be together." I can imagine how this series would continue in my head: this would be the type of couple where they would fight constantly, break up, and ultimately get back together again in a constant cycle. Perhaps this is why despite the idealistic ending, I can continue to love them as if they were a real couple. Their relationship has real drama that is easy to relate to for anyone. And the sex scenes really do stir up the imagination, while giving us a great view ;D. A lot of other yaoi series portray the sex without moving your heart .... maybe there are times when you need emotionless, yet hot smut, but I prefer my manga with more substance. Tyrant has it.

There's a lot more I want to say about the series, but if I do then you'll spend your whole afternoon reading my rant, and that is unacceptable, since there are more yaoi calling to you I suspect! Go forward and read, watch, listen, and do whatever else you need to do with your yaoi! XD