aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

sas100

Question [Help]How to lock or secure internet access.

Hi, I read up on this on linksys.com, but I can't seem to follow what they had instructed to do. I want only family member to have wireless access and that it. Please help, thanks.

vampie02
    I assumed you using Linksys router ..i think you have to open blank page then typing in your IP Address - input "given" username/password [it inside the package when you purchased the router]once the admin. page shown up, you just have to create your password for your internet access - so everyone who want to using your internet, they have to know your password.
    since I not sure what model / version Linksys you using so I can't give detailed instruction.

sas100
    Yes, I have a linksys router (2.4GHz, 802.11b Wireless-B Broadband). How do I get IP address? And open blank page from where actually? I have linksys set-up wizard CD, but not sure where the booklet went. Appreciate your help, thank you.

vampie02
    In order to get your current IP Address, you go to Start -> Run
    then type in : cmd
    then type in : ipconfig
    your IP address should be sth like 123.123.1.123 [those number are examples]

as for blank page, you click on IE icons then type in those numbers

Your Linksys version is quite diff. than mine. I kinda older so it might be slightly diff. in setup so I guess you have to call Linksys customer rep. to help you out. I also called them when first installed it and oh my, it took me quite 2-3 hours to make it finally work.
    Don't worry, normally, when you changing sth on the setup, it might take while to let router connect again to modern and speed up the connection gradually

sumo
    sas100, here is the easy way to do it

Do the following on your desktop:
    1) copy and paste this into your address bar 192.168.1.1

2) enter admin for user name and admin again for password(or use the ones on the bottom of the router)

3)click on the wireless tab and look for wireless security

4)use the drop-down menu to select WPA2Personal (best possible encrytion for home network), AES as your algorythem, and enter a password (remember it, you'll need to enter it on the other computers later)

5) save your settings and let the router reset. you will see that every one without the key will get booted of your network

6) now to secure access to the router go to the administration tab and simply enter a new password.

7) save settings again and you will be prompted to enter the new password(enter the new password).

The other computers:
    I'll assume you're on windows XP

8) click on the wireless connections tool, scan/refresh networks and look for your own(usually the one with the strongest signal).

9) click on connect and enter the password from step 4 (WPA2 personal password)

10) repeat steps 8-9 for any other machine you wish to include in your service

if this doesnt work PM me or post here, I will keep an eye out for updates...or the ultimate answer....google, do you use it?....

for best results IM me and I can help you on "real time" instead of flooding the forum.
    Last edited by sumo; 04-14-2007 at 12:46 AM.

sas100
    Of course, I google, who doesn't? Personally, I think google is good for looking up website address and stuff. Anyway, I got through #1, but that it. There are many possible user/password underneath the router, what am I looking for actually? The list you provided, easy they may be, sound complicated to me. Maybe you right, I should IM you on real time, but I don't have one set up yet. Once I have it, I'll ask you for your IM name. Thank you so much for replying.

sumo
    Okay for steps 2
    2) enter admin for user name and admin again for password(or use the ones on the bottom of the router)

should look like this

just input admin for both user and password

then you'll get this page,

1: change the name of your router if you want to keep people from knowing what the router brand is.
    2:wireless tab then click on security tab extension
    3)click on the wireless tab and look for wireless security

Fill it in as I indicated
    4)use the drop-down menu to select WPA2Personal (best possible encrytion for home network), AES as your algorythem, and enter a password (remember it, you'll need to enter it on the other computers later)
    5) save your settings and let the router reset. you will see that every one without the key will get booted of your network

When you're done you should save your setting and It will look like this

1: enter a password you can remember easily
    2: save settings
    3: administration tab

6) now to secure access to the router go to the administration tab and simply enter a new password.
    it should look like this
    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...reenshot-5.png
    1: enter a new password twice
    2: save settings
    7) save settings again and you will be prompted to sign in again, the same thing as in step 2 but use your new password

If this doesnt make it easier, then I'll have to guide you thru it myself later...good luck
    Last edited by sumo; 04-20-2007 at 05:38 PM.