aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

(S022) IasonAmon (L1)Saitou HK (L1)
    Hijikata HK (L1)Luka Crosszeria (L9)Fei Long (L2)
    Sanzo (L10)Rido (L9)Yoruichi (cat)

Show picture on folders?

After I have been fiddeling for quite a time and Google isn't helping either, I was hoping someone here might be able to help out!
    The idea is to put a picture on the outside of a folder so I can recognize what's inside.
    Let's say I have a folder with homework, I would want a picture of a school on the outside of the map.
    Or a palmtree on the outside of my holiday pictures folder etc.
    Is there any way I can do that?
    I have windows 7 by the way
    Last edited by Emoness; 04-19-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Haruka (L5)Spacer 1Kantarou (L4)
    Spacer 1Heart 4 (Icy)Spacer 1
    Lan Zhan / Lan WangJi (L9)Spacer 1Wei Ying / Wei WuXian (L9)

If you right click on a folder and go to Properties, then click on the Customize tab, you'll see a "Change Icon..." button which will let you pick from a preset batch of Windows icons.

If you want to create custom images, I think you have to save them as .ico files? Easiest way to do that would be an online converter. Save your ico files somewhere convenient where you won't move them. On the "Change Icon" dialog, you can click "Browse..." to find the one you want.

As a disclaimer, I've mainly only done this with shortcuts, not directly to folders, but I tried it out briefly and it looks like it works the same.

Use the "Restore Defaults" button if you change your mind and want to go back to a standard folder icon.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Wakasa (L4)Abel (L1)Minami Kenjirou (L8)
    (Event) Forum - Ritsuka Uenoyama(S078) Doumeki (chibi)(S077) Yashiro (chibi)
    MoonlightHamletAtsushi (Tiger)
    Oh-Boy ...I can sure help!!!
    I do custom icons ...my whole desk top is full of them in fact ...some I did are cute seasonal things others anime themed...and they can have transparent back grounds tooo !

1- go get infraview its free and should work on windows 7 get the "plug-ins" for the version also(helps in playing swf files)

2- install .....

3- choose any picture in your computer ...resize it( tip icons ARE small cheat a little save the thumbnails of your pics instead. by using "print screen" ...open paint and just crop and save the image or images you want!!)

4- save as png.....this will give you a better picture once its changed into an .ico file
    5- open "infraview" ...drag your picture into it ....using the "save"(looks like a old floppy disc icon)
    6- from that drop down menu choose to save as an .ico ...(by default it saves to "my documents")
    7- your icon is now ready to apply to your folders

.....How to Apply a new icon to any windows folder(expect system ones eg "recycle bin"...)

1-place all your newly made icon somewhere handy..like a folder in "my pictures" or even on just plain old "C"
    name this folder "My new icons"...place all of your made icons in it ...do not move this folder from where you put it....other-wise your folders will loose those pretty new looks you gave them ....lol
    2-two...your are now ready to apply a new icon....
    3- go to the folder you wish to change .....right click....go to properties.....
    4- click on the "customise" tab
    5-click on "change icon"
    6- click browse and go to where you have your folder full of icons you made
    7- choose your icon......click "apply" ......
    8- there you have it ! a brand new icon on your folder

for transparent back grounds first resize you pictures and render the back ground to a color not used in the main image you want to use .....when saving as an icon simpley choose "save transparent back ground" in the options in the saving of your icon ..then simpley click on that color as the program instructs all the rest is the same

hope this helps you !!!

Edit : opps forgot a cool thing... if after saving your folder with its new icon...if you create a "short cut" ....it will show your icon as its image...so when dragged to your desktop ...they'll match !!

Edit 2 : you can also use small .gif's to do icons to ..like very clear game sprites or other small images

here are a few samples of what you can do as icons .... .ico files
    here's a link to a zip http://www.mediafire.com/?hbemla7ss28d4ds
    Last edited by lemur7; 04-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.