aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Addict
    In Sebast~chan's pants,I vaction in Ceil's hat. >D
    Savings

Italy (L3)Love (01)Sebastian (L8)
    Ciel (L9)Angry (01)Germany (L1)
    Claude (L4)Aoba (L2)Alois (L6)

304 keyboard or system error

my computer is saying this when ever it starts up. once i am on the start up page, a black screen with white letters that tell me to chose which option i would like to star up in. normal mode and what not. well it loads and either goes to a black screen and never comes up and i have to shut it down or it loads and runs like usual. well once i am up on the net my keyboard will not let me use my shift key...which i am sure you have noted seeing all of my unshifted i's and such in this comment.
    i have tested two other keyboards and each of them got the same error and the shift keys didn't work either. two of these keyboards was a usb but the he keyboard that i am using now is one of the ones that have the circular piece that you plug in. [sorry i don't know the technical term of this.]

but i was wondering is there a way i can fix this/

sorry, the operating system i am using is windowsxp home addition.
    Last edited by CrimsonCross; 07-18-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: ...typos are terrible.....

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Steve Rogers (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Tony Stark (L9)
    Iron Man (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Captain America (L9)
    Spacer 1Tony Stark (L10)Spacer 1

before you ask for help you might want to add what OS you are using, which is an important bit of information.
    The system error occurs when Windows is abruptly shut down incorrectly, like when you reboot when the screen is still black.

1. do a full anti virus scan;

- use malware bytes
    - use your local anti virus that you use anyway

2. make a back up of all your precious items, you should have done that the first time the screen stayed black. Back up precious items, my documents (save files that are there, pictures), bookmarks export them. Why am I saying this, it is because you either have an infection of a virus and/or your registry is messed up and needs repairs. I cannot say for certain until you did a virus scan.

3. Pro help: your anti virus will leave you some logs. Register at BleepingComputer Discussion Forums
    Since I don't know your OS I can't pin point you to the correct section. Read the rules if you are going to make a topic int he section; they need all the info you can get including those logs you scanned for.

Why am I adding that link?
    The lack of information and the description of the problem can lead to several things; hardware problem, registry problem, virus infection. The people there are much better knowledged to skim it down in the right category.
    Why am I saying make a back up asap? Because your computer might just not boot normally at all afterward and you then have to do it in safe mode if that even works. And if it is registry you might need to reinstall Windows which means that at least things such as; My documents, bookmarks will disappear.

In case of your computer acting weird enough that you think you need to reinstall (registry problems) then this is the checklist I go through while my pc is still working:
    - back up video files, music and manga
    - back up My documents
    - export my bookmarks from my browser and save them external with the rest
    (- in case of change of pc; download software you were using so you don't have to redownload it all on the new computer)

If you have 2 HD's then back up to the 2nd one where the OS isn't installed. If you split your HD into partitions then cut-paste it to the other partition. If you don't have both of the above then use something external, in modern times like this it is always a good idea to have separate space for just your OS and one for precious data so that no data will be lost when you have a bad infection and need to reinstall.

Concerning your keyboard: your drivers might not be working correctly.
    Did you check in the hardware list to see if it is functioning properly;
    right click My Computer -> properties -> tab device manager I think it was under Windows XP
    Windows 7 Start -> Control panel -> Keyboard -> tab Hardware

If you right click the device and go into properties you can update, remove, install drivers there.

Last edited by KarumA; 07-18-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Sleeping Beast

Savings

Gakupo V (L4)Conrad (L4)Heart 4 (Icy)
    Randy (L1)Ryuuki (L2)Star 1 (Yellow)
    Ryuuren (L4)Riki (L4)Pray for Japan
    To use an USB keyboard outside Widows you must enable it at BIOS.
    Try using the last good option and system restore to a date previous to the problem.

Yaoi Addict
    Savings

i've done a system restore and the problom is still happeneing. but what is BIOS/

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Ooh dear, Bios is the option screen of your motherboard.
    When you start your computer you briefly see a screen of your mobo (motherboard).

It can't be the BIOS support settings for keyboard because those settings only function if you want to use the keyboard mouse outside of your OS. Windows doesn't use the BIOS usb support function, enabling the function makes the mouse/keyboard useable outside of windows because the OS loads it own drivers (the option is to use the mouse and or keyboard in BIOS and for example memtest)

Anyway, the Bios menu depends on the brand of mobo you are using and you can enter it by pressing Del at boot, if you'r computer beeps once when booting then do it right after the beep.
    I don't think its a good idea to be snooping around there if you don't even know what Bios means.

Just 2 things I am bothered with right now;

1. State your OS please?!
    2. Do the virus scan:
    Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer

Use the left Free version

What other virus scan are you using.
    Please add this information because it can make our job easier in helping you. If you stay this vague then there is little we can advice.
    How old is this said computer anyway?

Sleeping Beast

Savings

Gakupo V (L4)Conrad (L4)Heart 4 (Icy)
    Randy (L1)Ryuuki (L2)Star 1 (Yellow)
    Ryuuren (L4)Riki (L4)Pray for Japan
    Maybe it's really a malware, system restore can't help you.
    Do what KarumA said, it's the best to try to solve it.

Yaoi Addict
    Savings

ok is os the type of computer/ if so OS is a Compaq pesario that is running windows xp
    I'm not sure how old the computer is my dad bought it at a thrift store and I'm not using any virus scans at all.
    is the Malwarebytes site a safe virus scan/ my dad is worried that if we use it it will mess up even more.although i am sure myself it is safe or else you guys wouldn't link back to it.

Edit~~~~~~~
    Ok went through the control panel and and went into the keyboard settings and such and my dad got the shift keys to work again. Sorry for troubling you guys but thank you for helping me.
    Last edited by CrimsonCross; 07-19-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Glad your shift function is working again.
    Yes Malwarebytes is a safe anti virus, however there is no need to get the paid version the free version does it's job well enough. If it were bad then I wouldn't recommend it.

So you have been surfing around with no anti virus at all, probably not an add blocker either. The chance is high that you have an infection, that's why you need to scan.
    Malwarebytes will scan your computer for malware and viruses, afterward it will show you a log of what it had been doing. Copy paste that log here when you are done.

Malwarebytes is a lose scanning program that will not run in the background and protect you all the time when online.
    So if you are inexperienced with the internet it is a good idea to have an anti virus program work in the background to make sure you don't get infected when you accidentally visit a shady website. You can easily get infected if you don't use the proper tools; such as the right internet browser and addblocker that goes with it and the right anti virus.

Right now lets just focus on scanning with Malwarebytes though, install the FREE version from the link I added in one of my above posts. Let it update first then do a full system scan. When it is done and any viruses were found let it take the option "quarantine" sometimes also named as "Move to vault". Afterward a log will open that will show you what the program has found and what it has done, I want you to copy paste that here so we here can also read what virus you have/had.
    Last edited by KarumA; 07-19-2011 at 03:38 PM.