aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Shiki R (L6)Saber (L10)Ayase (L8)
    Ai Enma (L8)Yuuki (L9)Soubi (L10)
    Rukia (L10)Xmas (013)Pray for Japan

I've been using MU for everything and even today, I got no problems! Not even a virus or a warning. I've been playing the files and it seems really fine... As the people above, I do not think MU is the problem, but the one who downloaded the virus (while he didn't know). It could have been a file (which contained a virus) or a virus from a popup or another site! If you download files from unknown sources, you are highly at risks of getting an infected file. That's what I think, and I will continue using MU as I always do. I trust everything uploaded here, but if that's from a search, I always scan the files...

If I do have any problems, I know that format is my first option! I do format almost every year.
    Last edited by SpiritOfTheWinds; 12-29-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Yaoi Supporter

Savings

Nishinoya Yuu (L2)Shiki (L2)Gokudera (L3)
    Mookyul (L2)Hibari (L2)Mukuro (L1)
    Soubi (L2)Misaki (L1)Frau (L1)
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy12 View Post
    Well, to be perfectly honest, no file-sharing site is perfectly safe. Viruses can get in, no matter where. But mediafire and the others seem to be alright.

As far as the MegaUpload situation goes, I haven't heard anything about whether it is fixed or not. As soon as I have more information I'll post about it.
    Thakyou for kepng us posted. I was aboutt ask if everything was safe yet or not.

flaming tbag!

Savings

Masamune (L10)Heart 3 (Pink)Yukimura SB (L10)
    Masamune (chibi) (L2)Yukimura Sanada (chibi) (L2)Kojuurou (chibi) (L2)
    Shiroyasha (L9)Fayt (L1)Steve Rogers (L9)

As far as the MegaUpload situation goes, I haven't heard anything about whether it is fixed or not. As soon as I have more information I'll post about it.
    Does this mean that you have official information as far as an attack goes? Like a few of us have said - we're not experiencing any issues on MU, and I think it's a bit harsh to claim there is a "Virus Attack" from a website when you don't have any information to back it up. Not to say it isn't possible - however, there are a lot of people that don't know any better that will freak out and reformat or other drastic measures, thinking they've been attacked when nothing of the sort has occurred.

If there IS an attack, seeing literature, or even threads from tech sites, would be most helpful. Do you have a name for the virus you've been finding? Or even a list of names, if there's more than one? Steps to remove them if found? Simply stating that there is a "virus attack" and "danger, danger", isn't really helpful.. just a scare tactic.

I don't want to sound rude, or ungrateful, but I also don't like to see the computer illiterate scared into action with no information to back up the claim.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Shiki R (L6)Saber (L10)Ayase (L8)
    Ai Enma (L8)Yuuki (L9)Soubi (L10)
    Rukia (L10)Xmas (013)Pray for Japan

Quote Originally Posted by fataltea View Post
    Does this mean that you have official information as far as an attack goes? Like a few of us have said - we're not experiencing any issues on MU, and I think it's a bit harsh to claim there is a "Virus Attack" from a website when you don't have any information to back it up. Not to say it isn't possible - however, there are a lot of people that don't know any better that will freak out and reformat or other drastic measures, thinking they've been attacked when nothing of the sort has occurred.

If there IS an attack, seeing literature, or even threads from tech sites, would be most helpful. Do you have a name for the virus you've been finding? Or even a list of names, if there's more than one? Steps to remove them if found? Simply stating that there is a "virus attack" and "danger, danger", isn't really helpful.. just a scare tactic.

I don't want to sound rude, or ungrateful, but I also don't like to see the computer illiterate scared into action with no information to back up the claim.

I couldn't say better. I was totally thinking the same... It sounds fake! Why would he has the informations while others don't? Where does he get all that? Why doesn't he share his sources? And a lot of other questions...

MU is the mostly used Host Site here, on AF, and I think that scaring people is a bad thing to do. I do not think MU is the problem, since I've been downloading over 50 files since Satursday, and I got no problems! Not even an alert, a virus detected, or anything else! Most of downloaded files are MKV/AVI or RAR/ZIP files, and I scan other files before opening them. But, never, but never download EXE/BAT or other executable files (if not from a trust-worthy uploader)!

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

(Event) Forum - Victor NikiforovHeart 1 (Red)(Event) Forum - Yuri Katsuki
    Wing 1 (Left)Yuri Plisetsky (L9)Wing 1 (Right)
    Noeru (L11)Rey (L3)DS_006_right

I agree that this thread put me into panic mode. My comp didn't want to connect with net today and I've nearly got heart attack. Fortunately regurlar reset worked.
    Last edited by bra00724; 01-08-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Tsuna (L1)Yamamoto (L1)Mukuro (L1)
    Hibari (L2)Spanner (L2)Gokudera (L3)
    Tsuna (L3)Chocobo
    Ah crap I upload almost everything on there. :/
    I just downloaded today as well...
    Nyuu thanks for this warning, really.

Yaoi Devotee

Savings

Zack (L10)Konoe (L2)Cecil Aijima (L10)
    Rai Lamento (L9)Okita (L9)Kamui (L7)
    Valdrigue (L8)Akira TnC (L9)Aoba (L12)
    Ah, thanks for the warning. I use Megaupload all of the time, but I'll stay away from it for now.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Chisato (L2)Shunsuke (L2)Nekozawa (L2)
    Quote Originally Posted by fataltea View Post

The virus I've found on most of the compromised Windows computers is Graybird, which hides on the computer and downloads more harmful files from the Internet. It is considered to be a fairly damaging virus, however, it can usually be caught and removed with antivirus software. The larger problem is locating the files it downloaded.

As of yesterday (12.31.2009), it seems that the problem is mostly stopped, as I downloaded several files from MegaUpload onto the company computer without there being any problems.

Other than that, I only know what the customers have told me, what the boss has told me, and what I've seen myself.

While no filesharing website is completely safe, if I see a lot of computers having the same problem after downloading files, I think it's pretty safe to assume that there's something going on there.

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Tatsuki (L2)Takenaga (L5)Nekozawa (L2)
    Otani (L5)Stein (L1)Nanao (L1)
    Jiraiya (L6)Maes Hughes (L6)Haruhi (L2)

It's funny you say that because just this afternoon I went to megaupload and my antivirus gave me a red screen telling me it's an unsafe site. I then went to megavideo and it gave me the same message x_x I thought it was just my antivirus acting up or something =/

flaming tbag!

Savings

Masamune (L10)Heart 3 (Pink)Yukimura SB (L10)
    Masamune (chibi) (L2)Yukimura Sanada (chibi) (L2)Kojuurou (chibi) (L2)
    Shiroyasha (L9)Fayt (L1)Steve Rogers (L9)

The virus I've found on most of the compromised Windows computers is Graybird, which hides on the computer and downloads more harmful files from the Internet. It is considered to be a fairly damaging virus, however, it can usually be caught and removed with antivirus software. The larger problem is locating the files it downloaded.

As of yesterday (12.31.2009), it seems that the problem is mostly stopped, as I downloaded several files from MegaUpload onto the company computer without there being any problems.

Other than that, I only know what the customers have told me, what the boss has told me, and what I've seen myself.

While no filesharing website is completely safe, if I see a lot of computers having the same problem after downloading files, I think it's pretty safe to assume that there's something going on there.
    Thanks for providing the name. (Graybird is a pretty old family.. do you have a more specific version? How is it hiding itself? The last Graybird I saw was too old to even touch Vista or 7, and wasn't designed to attack anything outside of Windows products)

I don't think it's wrong to advise caution to those that visit file hosting websites - or any website, for that matter. Some precautions should be taken at all times. The web is a dangerous place, especially to those that don't know how to properly protect themselves.

However, I still think it's not appropriate to call this a virus attack. I understand that you saw quite a few customers that had been downloading from MU soon before they started having issues - but MU is a HUGE site. Millions of hits a day - seeing a dozen? A couple dozen? - infections doesn't really mean squat. That's no different than comparing MU to a popular coffee shop in downtown New York City.. say 10 people that went to the coffee shop in the same week came down with the flu.. are we going to say that the coffee shop attacked them with the flu? Despite the fact that the other 5,000 customers they had that week are perfectly healthy? Besides.. end users aren't exactly the most honest source of information when it comes to how they mucked up their computer. I could certainly believe that they downloaded a file that had been specifically designed to spread a Trojan.. I could certainly buy into someone or several someones mass uploading infected files. But I've seen no sign of MU itself being dangerous.

So yes, practice caution when using MU or any file hosting website (and please, don't download files from anywhere if you don't trust the person/people that uploaded it). But don't panic if you've been to Megaupload recently - chances are that you are fine. If you are especially nervous, install a TRUSTED antivirus program and run a full scan - Graybird is nothing really new, and AVS should pick it up if it's present.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast