aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Testing/Compatibility Thread for Windows 10

All right, I've read a lot of threads here with games not working on Windows 10 anymore after upgrading to it.

Many suggest going back to Win 7 (frankly much better than Win Vista/8) and others using VirtualBox to emulate other Windows edition. In my case I don't like to downgrade to atrocious 8, and I'll be hanging on to VirtualBox as last option.

So I was testing some of the games I've dl'd in Win 10 and surprisingly they work. I haven't tested it thoroughly though, such as for save/load bugs etc.

So I'll be listing the games I've run that work in Win 10. I'll try to run as many games I can but due to my slow net and busy rl I can only download a few games at most. I wish to make a comprehensive compatibility list and what to do to make the game work.

For now I would like to share some of my experience in Windows 10 and VNs. But first, some tips for the not-so-much tech-savvy:

My System Specs
    I am using a laptop that is considered mid-end. I can play a PS1 emulator at 4x internal resolution, windowed mode without suffering in drop of framerate but that's that. I don't know if I can play Crysis at HD though.

CPU: Intel Core i7 @2.40 GHz (quad core)
    RAM: 8.0 GB
    Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 5500; [DEDICATED] AMD Radeon HD 8500M @2 GB
    OS: Windows 10 Home Single Language Edition Build 1511 (Check build at Run>winver)
    DirectX version: 12 with 9.0c installed (Check version at Run>dxdiag)
    Visual C++ Redistributable: 2008-2013, x86 and x64 versions installed.
    Notes: Has 'Switcheable Graphics' option. UAC fully disabled. System Locale at JP. This is a must.

NOTE: If you want to use ITH/AGTH/TA, it is recommended to put all your games on one folder... so that it'll be hassle free setting up those translators (And it won't clutter your Program Files folder, no Windows UAC getting in way of ITH process). I replaced every install folder to my personal C:/Games, and ther is no problem at all.

Color Legends beside the Titles

This Green - Game is playable without any problems or noticeable glitches. Extensively tested for all features.

This Green - Game is playable with basic features tested such as save/load, quicksave/quickload, and configuration menu. Label also for non-extensively tested games.

Orange - Game is playable but has non-game-breaking bugs/problems.

Red - Game is unplayable. Whether from being unable to install properly, crashing when being opened, or save/load function not working properly.

The Games I've Tried (Alphabetical)

DRAMAtical Murder w/ English Patch (Working)
    Release date: 2012

Installation: None. It is a run-as-it-is version.

Set-up: No use of "Run as Administrator". No use of Compatibility settings.

Status: Works still now. Runtime of 8 hours. Just finished Kojaku's Route. FINISHED EVERYTHING WOOHOO! Configuration tested and works. Save and Load function tested and works. Quicksave and quick load tested and works. No game-breaking bugs/problems encountered yet. Backlog is a weird though.

---Last Update: I will say is 99% working in my set-up. (Of course there is still 1% of uncertainty there)

Bugs/problems and Notes:1. Blackscreen bug: When starting, game runs and music is playing but the warnings does not show up, and neither the start screen. Cannot click anything.
    -----I encountered this bug too, but managed to fixed it. The probable cause is the graphics driver not being able to render the game graphics properly. This happens when using low-end or integrated graphics card (like my Intel HD 5500).

Upon using HDMI, my laptop switched to using Intel as it's graphics card. Encountered the bug after opening DMMd. Restarted. DMMd works again.

DRAMAtical Murder: ReConnect (WORKING)
    Release date: 2013

Installation: Having runtime errors. Will try to install again after installing the needed files (2013). Welp, got it working. DMMdrc hates DAEMONTools ver 10.2. Used Virtual CloneDrive 5.5.0.0 and no more runtime errors. After that no more problems in installation encountered. Installed to Programs(x68)/NitroplusCHiRAL (default folder) Now in special folder. Then applied crack and patch.

Set-up: No use of 'Run as Administrator'. No use of compatibility settings.

Status: ...Well now I finished everything. Tested everything. No bugs non-gamebreaking or otherwise. Will say it works 99% on Windows 10.

Bugs/problems and Notes:
    1. Upon mounting and opening the Installer, A "Microsoft Visual C++" error shows.
    -----Use Virtual Clone Drive. I encountered this using Daemon Tools, and switching programs have worked.

Lamento -Beyond the Void- w/ English Patch (Working!!)
    Release date: 2006

Installation: Instructions is from the Forum. Mounted using DAEMONTools. Run installer with 'Run as Administrator', Installed at default folder address (that is on Program(x86)/NitroplusCHiRAL along with my Togainu no Chi) special folder. No problems encountered. Patched the game with 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 (no 2.00 because Eng patch is said to not work). UPDATE: It is not needed to patch 1.01 and 1.02, direct patching to 1.03 works. Btw, the patches are not in the game folder, I simply double checked that these are installing in the correct folder where the game is located. Afterwards, patched the game with English patch.

Benefit of saving not on the default folder: You don't need to search for your Lamento save folder anymore, it will be created on the game folder itself.

Relevant Thread:

Set-up: No use of "Run as Administrator". No use of Compatibility settings, but to be on safe side, Run it as Administrator and as Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Status: Woot woot I might have sinked 24+ hrs in the game. I've completed all routes! No gamebreaking bugs found. Though there are some hiccups with Saving during a choice. For glitches on the english patch please take time to read the readme.txt accompanying the patch.

Bugs/problems and Notes:
    1. I noticed that I dont' have a 'save' folder in my Lamento folder when installed at Program Files(x86), as well as %APPLOCAL%, but the save/load function still works. Will try again once restarted. [Edit]] Save files still work, thanks to Kojichan's reply! Found it in the VirtualStore folder :D

2. Black screen upon opening/ any kind of black screen upon playing. This assumes that Locale is properly set at JP.
    ---EDITED and UPDATE: Finally encountered this one. Lamento Works with Intel Integrated Graphics (thanks Bunny1000). This is a graphical problem. There are 2 solutions you must apply:

a. Install DirectX 9.0c Runtime Web Installer (can be found in Microsoft, also on the above spoiler tag "for those not tech-savvy)
    b. Update graphics card.

Relevant Thread:

3. Lamento after installation (assuming SysLocale at JP, no installation errors, properly patched) does not open.
    ----It will never open in Windows 10 even if the DVD is mounted because the driver needed by the game has been removed in Win 10. The far easier solution is to download the NoDVD patch and replace the .exe file with it. Spoiler with the link to noDVD patch below... just search the thread.

There is a way for playing it with the CD, but that involves messing with the drivers and stuff, and not really recommended.

4. Lamento "hangs" upon saving on choices.
    ----Lamento does stall for a bit when saving on choice when using shortcut key "S". It's kinda heart stopping sometimes, thinking that it hanged.

Well, the solution for that is to manually save from the right-click menu. No hang there, ,though unwieldy.

No, Thank You!!! (Working)
    Release date: 2015

Installation: It's in english.

Status: Works. Not surprising as it is a nearly-newly released game.

Bugs/problems and Notes:

Silver Chaos w/ English Patch (In Testing)
    Release date: 2002

Installation: Typical as seen in this forum. Run the installer with Administrator. Installed the Full version (600 MB) at Programs(x86) special folder, not at Documents (for some reason the default installer is there). Patched it.

Set-up: No use of "Run as Administrator". No use of Compatibility settings. To be safe on side, run it as Windows XP Service Pack 3

Status: Works... as of now. Runtime of Total of 10 mins!!! Configuration options are a-okay. Will test save and load function later after restart. But it's so retro tho.

Bugs/problems and Notes:
    1. If searching for save files, it is created at [USER]/Documents/VividColor/SilverChaos.Kinda hassle tho.

Silver Chaos: Eternal Fantasia FanDisk w/ English Patch (In Testing)

Release date:

Installation: Extracted the contents to folder. Installed at C:/Games. For installation, picked the option with the highest number of bytes in description. Afterwards, applied English patch; patch successful. (This was before I broke my installer)

Set-up: Veeery finicky than Silver Chaos for some reason. Ran as Administratora and run it as Windows XP Service Pack 3

Status: Game works without the English patch, but once patched, it will show the "Mainsystem.exe has stopped working" error. Now, works with problems. Namely, all configuration text is in Japanese. Also, for some reason, the wallpapers when clicked does not do anything, so do the circle button on the wallpaper. See notes for further details.

ALSO I BROKE MY INSTALLER D:

Bugs/problems and Notes:1. Mainsystem.exe has stopped working.
    -----This was really frustrating. Found a solution that worked; however I read that this not works with everyone, that is after installation of english patch, go to the DISC 1/PACK of the installer files to copy-paste the original GRAPHIC.cmp to the english-patched folder. The game folder should look like this:

2. Wallpapers section is unrensponsive.
    ----When I click on the wallpapers it does nothing. So does clicking the circle button. Which sucks, I can't troubleshoot because I don't understand Japanese :<. No solution found yet on forums.

3. EHMEGHERD I BROKE MY INSTALLER
    ----I made my own bug yay! If for some reason you cannot install it, just copy paste the entire DISC 1 folder contents... It's actually the whole game.

sweet pool w/ partial eng patch (In Testing)
    Release date: 2008

Installation:
    None. What I got is a playable as is.

Status: Works. Runtime of Total of 10 mins!!! Will test save and load function later after restart.

Bugs/problems and Notes:

Togainu no Chi w/ English Patch (Working - Playable till the End)
    Release date: 2005

Installation:
    Typical installation. Always install under Admin rights if installing in default Program(x86) folder. You must have the ff: Togainu no Chi installer, Togainu no Chi crack, and the English patch if desired. Mounted the disk normally using DAEMONTools. Installed under Programs/NitroplusChiral (along with Lamento). No problems in installation, though DirectX of the game can't be installed (Install 9.0c instead). Ran the 1.01 update then the Image patch (Run as Admin when game is installed at Programs folder). Then replaced togainunochi.exe with crack.

Upon opening, Windows prompted me to install "DirectPlay" (It's a Windows Features component; you can find it under Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features on and Off>Legacy Components) Windows said it needed that to run, so I allowed to do it's thing. Then I was able to open it and run it.

Set-up: The program is so finicky. Enable "Run as Administrator" and Compatibility mode: Windows XP Service Pack 3. I tested it without compatibility mode and it kinda works... but it has refused to save/load properly.

Uncheck the 3rd box on the first page of configuration menu (Edit save file descriptions) to be able to save without freezing.

Status: Working... with a large gut feeling that somewhere it will crash spectacularly. UPDATE: FINISHED EVERYTHING. I did not encounter any problematic, game-crashing things, aside from the save/load freeze (that can be easily remedied)/

Update: FINISHED EVERYTHING WOOT WOOT. Checked CG gallery and Recollection. So far it works. There's a glitch in the CG gallery where the hover highlight does not match with the character's names but it's not that hampering to gameplay. CGs can still be accessed without difficulty.

Bugs/problems and Notes:
    1. Game freezes after Save/Load.
    -----The save bug has 2 incarnations, saving with the description on, and overwriting a save, or anything involving a dialog box (including Configuration). Loading freezes after it loads. The solution that worked for me is right-clicking on the game icon on task bar then closing it. The game would then prompt yes/no for closing. Choose no and the game unfreezes again.

There are other solutions but none yet so far worked for me.

Relevant Threads:

2. Game won't start (assuming proper installation, syslocale at JP)
    ----Same as Lamento problem. There is no other solution other than replacing .exe with the noDVD version. Download is below. Thanks for Kosmov and Kojichan. Search the thread for it.

3. Black screen even after proper installation/ replacement of no-DVD patch/syslocale at JP.
    ----Graphical problem. Make sure DirectX 9.0c is installed and update your graphics driver.
    Last edited by monokuroe; 07-27-2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: added other issues encountered

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)Shou (L5)Wing 1 (Right)
    Kid (L2)Shinichi (L1)Kai (L5)
    Origami (L4)Yosuke P4 (L1)Subaru Sumeragi (L3)
    For older games that make save files in the existing installation folder, and are installed in the default C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder, Windows has a chance of actually saving them not in the folder, or directly in %APPDATA% but a third place, within the Virtual Store folder.

C:\User\[UserName]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\

This isn't always the case, but most of the time if you cannot find your save files, and the game WORKS, it's most likely the saves are in the VirtualStore folder.

Example, for Lamento, it would be: C:\User\[UserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\NitrolusCHiRAL\Lamento -BEYOND THE VOID- DVD\

This VirtualStore folder isn't exactly the easiest to get at, so it can be a good idea to install the game somewhere else, and NOT the default location.

Also, for your list:

With my Windows 10 Laptop, Laughter Land won't run at all. You can install it perfectly fine, however the instant you go to run it, the game crashes before it even starts. Worst of all, it looks like any and all games who run on the same engine as Laughter Land (WillCo Script) will also face this problem.

On the flips side, Omerta runs, after a little kajolling with the installation process (because of the AlphaDiscLog.txt thingy). But otherwise, it runs fine.

I have a few other games I want to test as well, is it all right if I let you know my experiences? ^^

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Thank you Kojichan for the Lamento help! I found it there. I'm installing at default folders just to try if they work like any other programs who defaults installing at the Programs folder (It's also kind of troubleshooting, it's the part of "default mode" along with running it without special permissions/ compatibility; if game does not work then I'll try to install it in other location).

Please do go on ahead and post the info you can find by testing. If possible too, write your experiences with the installation and how as well you set it up to play the game.

With my Windows 10 Laptop, Laughter Land won't run at all. You can install it perfectly fine, however the instant you go to run it, the game crashes before it even starts. Worst of all, it looks like any and all games who run on the same engine as Laughter Land (WillCo Script) will also face this problem.
    Which other games run the WillCo script? After trying to install. DMMd:ReConnect and further probing Lamento and Silver Chaos, I'll try those two (Omerta) as well.

(But I have to get AGTH running first. :<)

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

About the default location thing... I getcha. ^_~ Good idea, testing out the absolute of absolute basics to get the ball running.

For Omerta, I found that while installing it, you absolutely had to make sure you didn't install it for ALL users, and just the local user otherwise the installer bails. There's also that dang AlphaDiscLog.txt: http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f49/t1...ml#post4348606 (Explains it better so I don't spam this topic)

And...

The WillCo script engine seems to be a proprietary in-house engine for WillPlus, and they have a lot off miniature offshoot companies like Langmaor. Here's a handful of their games that I know run on WillCo script, as I've downloaded them.

Known WillCo script BL titles:
    - Enzai (Falsely Accused) (Licensed)
    - Absolute Obedience (Licensed)
    - Laughter Land

Non-BL titles:
    - Yume Miru Kusuri - The drug that makes you dream (Hentai) (Licensed)
    - Under the Moon (Otome)

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

The WillCo script engine seems to be a proprietary in-house engine for WillPlus, and they have a lot off miniature offshoot companies like Langmaor. Here's a handful of their games that I know run on WillCo script, as I've downloaded them.

Known WillCo script BL titles:
    - Enzai (Falsely Accused) (Licensed)
    - Absolute Obedience (Licensed)
    - Laughter Land
    Thank you for the info! You really are the sempai of game troubleshooting~~~

I wonder, does Enzai still work then in Windows 10? I don't have Enzai, but I have Absolute Obedience still not installed. If AO installs, then Laughter Land can be just too old for Win 10 to have compatibility issues.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Erm... ^^;; Nah, I'm not really a senpai of anything... Just a lot of trial and error.

Speaking of which, I still have the Enzai installer, so I'll be testing that today. I'll also test a few others, just because I still have the installers. You seem to have hit up most of the more popular games, so I'll test some of the older not-so well-known ones.

For reference, I've installed Windows 10 Pro on my old HP Vista Tablet Laptop. Fresh install, though, not an upgrade. So it doesn't even have extra drivers or audio/video codecs. Supa-fresh! Ended up using Virtual CloneDrive as the newer Daemon Tools lite doesn't work with a lot of older ISO's, like TnC's for me. XP

It's an AMD X2 1.9Ghz, 3 GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 3200 1 GB VRam. It works great and all, except on first boot up from cold boot, it freezes before getting into Windows, then after a hard reset, it finally boots proper. But the damn thing thinks it's internal HD is actually an external USB drive. Stupid thing...

Edit: Tested Enzai, and despite my misgivings with Laughter Land, it runs perfectly fine, too. Saved and loaded like a champ, played videos... No special setup or requirements or compatibility. The Installation process was a breeze, too. It's most likely because this was an English release, that the EXE isn't the same as the one that originally came with the game, meant for Japanese-only systems.

It's very likely that Laughter Land's EXE wasn't compiled in a fashion that would allow it to run on newer operating systems. Which is really unfortunate... I honestly wish the WillCo script EXE's were interchangeable, so you could use Enzai's EXE to run Laughter Land, but they're hard-coded with the game they're meant for as well as execution instructions. XP

Or... Maybe the game absolutely requires a Japanese OS for the newer ones, and System Locale won't cut it in newer Windows'?? Who knows.

Ahh well...

Edit #2:
    Kuro no Tsuki w/ English patch (2001)
    SUPER old game, but this thing's a trooper! Installed perfectly fine, even ran the English patch and the guy ran beautifully. Saved and loaded, too. No problems. No special instructions.

24時、君のハートは盗まれる~怪盗ジェイド~ (2004)
    (Phantom Thief Jade, for short)
    Hooo boy... Uhm, this one's a no-go out of the gate. Even on Windows 7 it doesn't work properly. The original EXE required some outdated 32-bit Security DLL, which you could never get to start. Though, the game did install perfectly fine, otherwise. :P

In Windows 10? Forget it. The setup on the ISO won't even run, it's that messed. Which is unfortunate, because the game's data files are encrypted on the ISO, so you can't just pull them off and play that way, either.

In a round-about way I got it to work, though it required me grabbing my already pre-installed copy from Windows 7, and plopping it on my Win 10 install. I also have a custom EXE that I made to run the game in Windows 7, and it works in Windows 10 as well. Though it seems a smidge slow, I'm attributing it to the fact that my laptop is old. :P

Angel's Feather + 18+ Addon (2003)
    Installed fine in the default location. Ran it, it goes. But it doesn't save files properly, even with the "Run as administrator" flag has been checked on AF.EXE. Most likely because it saves in the installation folder. After closing and opening the game, the save files empty. No English patch...yet. And the menu sound effect, I swear was ripped directly from FF7's menu select...

So... If you do play this one, install it somewhere else other than default location!

Sukisho! First Limit w/ English (2000)
    It installs! It runs! It's default installation folder appears to be C:\Program Files\ (NOT C:\Program Files (x86)\), but it saves and loads! I used the installer provided by the translation team and it came in English. Also didn't require any special install instructions or compatibility stuffs. o.O I like this!

Gakuen Heaven: Boy's Love Scramble! (2002)
    Installed fine, default folder location isn't Program Files, so saving and loading works. ^^ Game seems good to go! No English patch that I know of. o_o

Hadaka Shitsuji w/ English Patches (2011)
    Installed in default location perfectly fine, didn't need the extra DirectX installer. Installed English patches, and ran the game. It starts fine, but you cannot save. So when you do play, make sure you run as administrator each time! Unless you install to a different location, of course.

I'll update this post periodically as I go, until someone else posts. XD;;
    Last edited by Kojichan; 01-19-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Decided to make a separate post for these.

Texthookers/Translators:

Translator Aggregator w/ TAHelper

Status: Program itself are working (except for Google Translation for some reason), but I have not yet testedhooking it with AGTH/ITH for actual game translation.

ITH v3.0 (x86 ver)
    Status: The program opens without problems, but upon hooking it up with the game, it displays a C000005 error. Apparently it's a Windows 10 thing. Running in Compatibility mode does not work. Searching the Hongfire forums yield no solutions yet.

But to be fair, I tested it with DMMd... which is already in english, maybe patching did something to it?

Tested with Osu Boys Trial Version. Still shows the error. I don't know if it's because my ITH version is a 32 bit instead of 64 bit.