aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Thread: DMMdR:C Help??

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Wing 1 (Left)(S030) VirusWing 1 (Right)
    (S019) Tinkle(S026) Kei Yamashiro(S032) Ruruka
    Alois (L6)KiraraCanada (L2)

Unhappy DMMdR:C Help??

I was trying to install DMMdR:C and after I mounted the disc I tried to run DMMdrc_Setup.exe. After I pressed the install button, the window closed. So I tried it a few more times and then I tried to run it from the product folder that the drive made, and I got an error message saying that the app wouldnt work on my pc. I tried running it as administrator and running it in compatibility mode, but that didnt do anything either and I got the same error message. I have windows 8 so maybe that's why it doesnt work, but the first game worked just fine so I dont get why reconnect wouldnt work. Any help would be very much appreciated OTL

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)Shou (L5)Wing 1 (Right)
    Kid (L2)Shinichi (L1)Kai (L5)
    Origami (L4)Yosuke P4 (L1)Subaru Sumeragi (L3)
    Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonNeko View Post
    I was trying to install DMMdR:C and after I mounted the disc I tried to run DMMdrc_Setup.exe. After I pressed the install button, the window closed. So I tried it a few more times and then I tried to run it from the product folder that the drive made, and I got an error message saying that the app wouldnt work on my pc. I tried running it as administrator and running it in compatibility mode, but that didnt do anything either and I got the same error message. I have windows 8 so maybe that's why it doesnt work, but the first game worked just fine so I dont get why reconnect wouldnt work. Any help would be very much appreciated OTL
    Hello CinnamonNeko!

Don't suppose you would be able to take a screenshot of the error message when you try to run the setup from the /product/ folder? I'm curious about what it says exactly.

I've seen a few people, personally, who own Windows 8 who managed to get DMMdre installed and playing, so I'd like to help you fix this as well.

Usually when something "doesn't start up", like the setup after clicking Install, it's because there's a driver conflict interfering with InstallShield. Or at least this is usually the case in Windows XP through to Windows 7. To combat this, I usually suggest to people to install Sandboxie, and then run the setup program through it. Sandboxie runs programs, installers, and games in a special "boxed in" environment that prevents useless drivers from interfering, and also stops some forms of virus and malware from being installed.

Speaking of which... Do you use Antivirus software?

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

So that's the error thingy I get when I try to run it from the product folder.

I use norton antivirus even though it's a pretty crappy antivirus.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Ok! Are you running Windows 8 32-bit version or Windows 8 64-bit? (Here's a page that can automatically detect. Look for the section marked "Automatic version detection results": How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system)

Here are a few ideas to try out to try and fix this...

#1, Norton may be blocking the program, have you tried adding that EXE to Norton's "Allow this program" list? (Or turning off Norton for a while... I find Microsoft Security Essentials to be plenty of antivirus for my computer)
    #2, Try the "Troubleshoot compatibility" option from the right-click menu on the installation.
    #3, Update Windows 8 to version 8.1. This update fixes a lot of problems to get programs working properly...

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

I have 64 bit.

I've tried troubleshooting the compatibility, it doesnt really fix anything.
    I'm not sure how to allow the program or turn off norton, and I get an error message when I try to use file insight.
    I'm too lazy to upgrade to 8.1, and I've heard that dmmdrc doesnt work at all on 8.1 so I'm a bit iffy on it because I dont really want to upgrade if it isnt going to work anyways.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonNeko View Post
    I have 64 bit.

I've tried troubleshooting the compatibility, it doesnt really fix anything.
    I'm not sure how to allow the program or turn off norton, and I get an error message when I try to use file insight.
    I'm too lazy to upgrade to 8.1, and I've heard that dmmdrc doesnt work at all on 8.1 so I'm a bit iffy on it because I dont really want to upgrade if it isnt going to work anyways.
    I understand about the hesitation about upgrading to Windows 8.1. Until I have a friend who has that and can confirm that DMMd and DMMdrc work with it I will lay off suggesting it.

But as for Norton... Here is an option to temporarily disable it. It should, theoretically, not block programs from running.

NORTON ANTIVIRUS (by Symantec)
    Please navigate to the system tray on the bottom right hand corner and look for a sign.
    • right-click it -> chose "Disable Auto-Protect."
    • select a duration of 5 hours (this assures no interference with the cleanup of your pc)
    • click "Ok."
    • a popup will warn that protection will now be disabled and the sign will now look like this:
    Though sometimes it may be disabled, it may still be actively blocking things... Outright uninstalling Norton would be the best way to test that, but it is a bit drastic if you cannot reinstall it easily.

Another option I've suggested to people, is to try a different ISO Mounting program. Sometimes Daemon Tools doesn't work in Windows 8, and gives strange errors, or causes things to not work properly.

It may not work, but it is still a suggestion. Try to download Virtual CloneDrive (Free) and use that to mount the DMMdrc ISO so you can install it. (http://static.slysoft.com/SetupVirtualCloneDrive.exe)

As a very last resort for trying this, try downloading a program called "Sandboxie". It basically allows programs to run without the interference of other programs or drivers that could cause conflicts. (http://www.sandboxie.com/SandboxieInstall.exe)

Once it's installed, you can then right-click on a program you want to run and select "Run with Sandboxie". It blocks external influences, so it might let you work through something that's potentially blocking the program.

All of the suggestions I've suggested to install can be uninstalled if they do not work. They do not cause system harm. Please try any/all of these steps and let me know how it goes! I wish you luck!

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Ah, last night I actually found a torrent link that gave me a different .iso, so I guess it was just a bad file that I downloaded.

I should've mentioned that I have myself to blame for this, because I downloaded the .iso that didnt work from 4shared because the downloads I got from here werent working well and I couldnt find the .iso file. I guess the one I got from 4shared was corrupted or something, but after I got the .iso from the torrent, the game started working just fine.

I guess I'm just dumb and should learn to not download really sketchy files-- OTL

Thanks for your time, I really do appreciate it ^u^

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Oh thank goodness you got it to work!

It didn't seem like a bum ISO to me as the file-system worked, and it showed the proper file-sizes.

Guess I should now add that to my list of "things to check". I'm so glad you got it working! ^_^ Enjoy!

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Yeah, I'm glad I got it to work ouo aadsjfskdjhg Koujaku's route tho freakin shoot me its so cute--

At least I know now that random .iso files from the internet arent to be trusted-- xD