Usami (L2)
    Oh no.. Thanks for the notice

really shock..

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Wei Ying / Wei WuXian (L9)Lan Zhan / Lan WangJi (L9)(S074) Akihiko Kaji
    Doumeki STWH (L9)Naoe (L5)Takaya (L3)
    (S005) Valdrigue(S009) Havi(S020) Yokozawa
    thanks for the information. but will irokoi have a 3rd episode?

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

awww i really like gravitation though
    thanks for the warning. ^^

Yaoi Addict

Savings

Annie SnK (L7)Hange SnK (L7)Mikasa SnK (L9)
    Ryūko (L8)Spacer 1Satsuki KLK (L9)
    (S076) SilverAsh(S054) Prompto Argentum(S074) Akihiko Kaji
    Where can I find a full, updated list of animes we're not allowed to share?

In Love with Cute Chibis

Savings

Hongou (L10)Yuuya (L10)Kichou (L10)
    Klaus (L10)Taki (L10)Kagerou (L9)
    Wolfram (L10)Kazuki OTRFK (L10)Wataru OTRFK (L10)

The full list of unallowed anime are listed in the first post.

The post will only be updated if there are additional anime that is/are not allowed.

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

MakkachinKusaka (L7)Akizuki (L6)
    Hei (L7)Raoul (L8)Katze (L4)
    Iason (L4)Riki (L4)Taki (L2)
    Quote Originally Posted by sommar View Post
    I agree with you, although with some reservations. I love it when manga I love gets licensed so I'll have the opportunity to buy it, nothing beats the real thing. With anime I'm ambivalent though since it's usually US liscenses and there's the whole issue of region codes on DVD's

I hate region codes. Where I live it's hard to get dvdplayers or computers that are region free, practically impossible, which means I never can buy or watch the animes once they're liscensed...
    So unless it's region free when finally released it's a sad day for the rest of us outside the US in the same situation as me.
    I think we're in the same boat for slightly different reasons. I'm in the US and I have a region free player (shh..secret) which I got several years ago (all it really is is a normal DVD player that had the firm ware inside altered to be able to be a 'region free' player. I have a ton of DVDs in the horror genre that are imports or region coded. My problem is--I have the means to play region free discs..BUT .the titles that I want are either extremely hard to get or are flat out--out of print. In the US--we can play discs that have Region Codes of 1 and/or 0---but nothing else. I think Japan is Region 2 as well as Europe/EU...don't remember the others off hand. So, it doesn't really matter is something gets licensed. If it's a title that's obscure or hard to get, either through import or other means, fans in the US will be SOL anyway. That's the major reason I'm extremely grateful for Aarin for all the hard work these guys do to be able to provide anime and mangas for us. Believe me, I would love to be able to support the producers of all this awesome stuff and the titles in general but either them are too expensive for me to buy imports or they are just completely hard to get.

Believe me. I hate region codes too. I think their pretty stupid and I honestly don't understand the logic behind them other than they seem to be a piracy deterrent...*chuckle* yeah, right...seeing the number of torrent sties still up and running shows how little effect region coding has.

I don't have an easy solution--only to join in the rant session.

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

MakkachinKusaka (L7)Akizuki (L6)
    Hei (L7)Raoul (L8)Katze (L4)
    Iason (L4)Riki (L4)Taki (L2)
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbit_girl View Post
    If it was made in the US it will have a region 1 coding. If it is region 1, then it will only play on region 1 dvd players (US players) if it has region 0 it will usually play on any player. Almost all bootlegs I've seen have been region 0 so they can be sold anywhere. Europe is region 2.

But to make it a bit simplier, US uses NTSC (region 1) while Europe uses PAL (region 2), which the product details should have listed if it is NTSC or PAL. so if your player will only play PAL then you cannot use it for NTSC, but there are PAL/NTSC converters that can be used so you can view both.

I'm not positive, but as far as I've seen, I think its a matter of the country's copyright laws where the product was originally produced and/or the country that has the license. I assume its the country that has the license that enforces it since when I travel to other countries I see A LOT more bootlegs for sale of items that are licensed in the US but not in that country.
    It's been my understanding- Copyright applies to the country of origin of the original work. If other countries want a particular media product (a US one for example) the country requesting the license must obtain one from either the producer (production company, let's say) of the original work and/or the distributor of the work with in the country of origin. The country of origin (the producer) will still hold all rights to that work. I think it can get even more confusing, but this was how I have simplified it for me.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

(Event) Forum - Ritsuka UenoyamaHeart 1 (Blue)(Event) Forum - Mafuyu Sato
    Haruki Nakayama (L10)Heart 6 (Devil)(S074) Akihiko Kaji
    (S087) Miyano Yoshikazu(S086) Sasaki Shuumei(S089) Ogasawara Jirou

Quote Originally Posted by Goblingoddess View Post
    I think we're in the same boat for slightly different reasons. I'm in the US and I have a region free player (shh..secret) which I got several years ago (all it really is is a normal DVD player that had the firm ware inside altered to be able to be a 'region free' player.
    I thought the majority of DVD players were now released with no region lock, most of the ones sold in Australia are anyway, and big brand names too, like Panasonic, Sony, and LG (although the companies don't necessarily advertise them as being region free). They also play both PAL and NTSC encoded DVDs (Australia uses PAL). I know this for a fact as I have DVDs from all sorts of regions, both PAL and NTSC, and I've never had one that my current Panasonic, or old LG, player couldn't play.

Most region-locked DVD players can be unlocked with a code entered through your remote control. There are many forums on the internet that list these codes, you'd just have to do a search for your brand and model.

I was just reading though, that DVD players and tvs released in countries that use PAL are capable of playing NTSC disks, however DVD players and tvs released in NTSC countries can't play PAL disks...

With computer DVD players, it will usually tell you when you put a region-locked DVD in, and they allow you 5 times to change the region on the player before it is permanently locked to the last region used. If you can set it to region 0, it will play every region.
    Last edited by stormwolf2010; 11-02-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Most players sold in North America have always been region-locked, because most Americans don't care and the media companies have way too much power over the US economy. Australia is in a different situation entirely.

As for why things only get released in certain regions, it's because there's a large, arcane existing system of licenses and crap that are designed to allow content publishers to make more money by pricing things differently in different locations (not countries necessarily—frex, in print publishing, it used to be common to sell "first North American rights", encompassing both the US and Canada). If they don't believe there's enough money to be made in a given location, whatever company holds the rights won't license new copies to be produced there. If something produced in Japan doesn't make it to North America, it's because no one over here who was interested in publishing it was willing to pay the copyright owner's asking price.

However, a work created in a country signatory to the Berne convention (which is 98% of all the countries on Earth) is still copyrighted in any other Berne Convention country. If it weren't, all you would have to do to copy a work legally is cross the border to somewhere where the copyright didn't apply. If copyright doesn't apply, then you can copy the work without restrictions—that's what copyright is for.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast