aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: User blogs

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Asami (L10)Heart 1 (Red)Akihito (L10)
    Spacer 1Fei Long (L10)Spacer 1
    Okita (L8)Gokudera (L8)Hijikata PMK (L8)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemisMS View Post
    Well, I mean strangers in a sense that you will never meet anybody here, so, like, how invested do you expect people you've never met to be in your day-to-day life

The chat section is unmoderated ... haha, you can really put anything there if you want As long as it doesn't break the rules.

I dunno, still seems like it's using up unnecessary resources ... and just more work for Dai-kun to set up and maintain, and he's not even finished fixing the pre-existing problems. I still say that a blog is a personal website, and this here is a public forum ... wait does "this here" make me sound like a hick?!

I agree that a blog is a personal website and should stay that way.
    And I seriously doubt (although I would really love such a feature!) that with a blog @aarin you'll get to know strangers/people more than before.

There are enough places to interact AND (okay, only my guess, but look at the actual forum members and then those who are "active" in chatting etc.) most members are only here for uploading/downloading stuff.

Having a blog elsewhere is enough ;3 you can always link to your blog in your signature and those who are REALLY interested in the real YOU won't hesitate clicking on it O_o'

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Sephiroth (L12)Sephiroth (L8)Sephiroth (L6)
    (S075) Cloud StrifeCloud (L9)Cloud (L4)
    Lan Zhan / Lan WangJi (L9)Wei Ying / Wei WuXian (L9)Wei WuXian / Wei Ying (L8)

i've been keeping a livejournal for seven years now and i think it's enough for all my blogging needs. if i wanted people to read it i'd simply leave links in my signature or PM the URL to anyone who expresses an interest in it.

there's really no need to put additional pressure on our already hiccup-y (is that even a word?) server which -- since you've been with the forums long enough, i'm sure you're aware that the site has had a bit of trouble simply loading just late last year. the site staff is also trying to cope with server downtime and improving currently available services -- it would be unfair to foist on them what is basically another forum-related chore.

if you wanted to promote personal creativity and encourage members to talk about themselves, then the profile page and the CHAT sections should be more than enough. if it was social interaction you wanted to promote -- that's what social groups are for.

actually IMO if you really wanted to promote intermingling among members then you should look beyond blogging and online interaction and organize offline meet-ups. making friends online can only go so far, and nothing will ever really replace meeting someone and talking to them face to face.
    Last edited by magnetic_rose; 02-19-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Levi (L10)Levi SnK (L8)Erwin SnK (L9)
    Mikasa SnK (L9)Eren Titan (L9)Armin SnK (L9)
    Eren SnK (L9)Rin Matsuoka (L9)Sousuke Yamazaki (L9)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetic_rose View Post
    i've been keeping a livejournal for seven years now and i think it's enough for all my blogging needs. if i wanted people to read it i'd simply leave links in my signature or PM the URL to anyone who expresses an interest in it.
    What I suggested was a "blog" in the context of an AF community. Not an actual blog. And there are reasons why an AF mini-blog like this would be more beneficial than not.

See http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f27/t6...ml#post1307757

there's really no need to put additional pressure on our already hiccup-y (is that even a word?) server which -- since you've been with the forums long enough, i'm sure you're aware that the site has had a bit of trouble simply loading just late last year. the site staff is also trying to cope with server downtime and improving currently available services -- it would be unfair to foist on them what is basically another forum-related chore.
    This is why I provided the side suggestion of a duplicate "Visitor's Message"-style tab. We already do this for our Interests and Contacts section. This is the reason why I do not think it would take too much resources.

http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f27/t6...ml#post1309731

if you wanted to promote personal creativity and encourage members to talk about themselves, then the profile page and the CHAT sections should be more than enough. if it was social interaction you wanted to promote -- that's what social groups are for.
    Like I said, the CHAT section is insufficient. Were everyone were to talk about themselves in a public section, how annoying would that be for people browsing the section for public topics? The CHAT section has its OWN purpose - that is, to be a generic, topical section and not for everyone's personal blogging purposes. It does to a certain extent allow people to talk about themselves, but that is not what the CHAT section is used best for. What the CHAT section does best is bringing up general and miscellaneous topics. A user blog is for personal topics. It also caters to personal interaction between other members and the blogger by way of user comments/responses to entries.

actually IMO if you really wanted to promote intermingling among members then you should look beyond blogging and online interaction and organize offline meet-ups. making friends online can only go so far, and nothing will ever really replace meeting someone and talking to them face to face.
    Blogging and intermingling among members doesn't mean I have to implement a social get-together. That's a radical option that's pretty unlikely and hard to do, and way out of my time and efforts. Installing a blog installs identities beyond the surface-level extent we have right now. Installing a blog for users facilitates development of their forum identities, which indirectly would cater to a "closer" or a less superficial community -- without having to see one another face-to-face unless the individual user actually wants to.

Also: while I much appreciate reading all these interesting comments, if people could read my previous responses to similar concerns before replying, that would be great. I know my comments are long, but they were intended to be detailed, and should address a lot of the similar concerns many people keep addressing. Any new ideas or problems they see with this other than what I've discussed a few times already, that would be great too.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-19-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Well, I mean strangers in a sense that you will never meet anybody here, so, like, how invested do you expect people you've never met to be in your day-to-day life
    Well sure, but wouldn't it be better than what we have now? If I find someone on this forum interesting enough on their profile page, I can click on their user blog and see what other interesting things they blog/think about.

What we have currently has nothing like that. A blog isn't the be-all, end-all solution, but a smaller means to improve. And in the way I've suggested (as part of the User Profile Page), I doubt it'd be too costly, either.

I dunno, still seems like it's using up unnecessary resources ... and just more work for Dai-kun to set up and maintain, and he's not even finished fixing the pre-existing problems. I still say that a blog is a personal website, and this here is a public forum ... wait does "this here" make me sound like a hick?!
    Social groups seem to take a lot more time and resources than I initially expected. These AF user blogs I'm suggesting are a lot less of their own "section" like social groups are, as they are a subsection of our current Profile pages. They can be included as a tab within our profile pages, using the style of our Visitor's Message page.

I don't know exactly how much resources this would take, but if an Admin knows the answer, perhaps they could let us know in this thread.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Asami (L10)Heart 1 (Red)Akihito (L10)
    Spacer 1Fei Long (L10)Spacer 1
    Okita (L8)Gokudera (L8)Hijikata PMK (L8)

Uh, how about using the edit-button first? XD

@Topic: you're right, since almost every point of view is already stated here, either an admin or mod should take over (if there is any interest in this, doubtful to me).

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

I've been getting these double post complaints, and it's driving me crazy. Is it really that annoying? More annoying than one-liner comments by random posters without nothing actually said in them? I'm a bit frustrated here. Even if the posts are of two different responses? Isn't it more organized to reply to different posters with different responses?

Could someone provide a reasonable explanation why "double postings" are going to kill the discussion? Surely there are worse things forum users do than double posting?

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Kuroo Tetsurou (L9)Kenma Kozume (L9)Heart 5 (Red)
    Heart 5 (Red)Iwaizumi Hajime (L8)Oikawa Tooru (L9)
    Tanuma (L10)Natsume (L10)Makoto Tachibana (L6)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I've been getting these double post complaints, and it's driving me crazy. Is it really that annoying? More annoying than one-liner comments by random posters without nothing actually said in them? I'm a bit frustrated here. Even if the posts are of two different responses? Isn't it more organized to reply to different posters with different responses?

Could someone provide a reasonable explanation why "double postings" are going to kill the discussion? Surely there are worse things forum users do than double posting?
    It's against forum rules

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Unhappy

It's against forum rules
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. I simply question whether the forum rules are taking into consideration matters where double posting would be beneficial for the sake of fluidity of the discussion.

I would, as a reader, not mind at all reading a second post by the same author if the comment is a response on a separate subject. It's even clearer, and a more organized way to read text on screen.

Thanks Artemis.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Kuroo Tetsurou (L9)Kenma Kozume (L9)Heart 5 (Red)
    Heart 5 (Red)Iwaizumi Hajime (L8)Oikawa Tooru (L9)
    Tanuma (L10)Natsume (L10)Makoto Tachibana (L6)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. I simply question whether the forum rules are taking into consideration matters where double posting would be beneficial for the sake of fluidity of the discussion.

I would, as a reader, not mind at all reading a second post by the same author if the comment is a response on a separate subject. It's even clearer, and a more organized way to read text on screen.

Thanks Artemis.
    *GASP* You are not allowed to ask questions!!! YOU OBEY!!!!

No problem

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

*GASP* You are not allowed to ask questions!!! YOU OBEY!!!!

No problem
    hahahahaha~~ i love that emocaticon.

Someone literally gave me a negative rep for that one double post! It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-20-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast