aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: User blogs

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Levi (L10)Levi SnK (L8)Erwin SnK (L9)
    Mikasa SnK (L9)Eren Titan (L9)Armin SnK (L9)
    Eren SnK (L9)Rin Matsuoka (L9)Sousuke Yamazaki (L9)
    Couldn't we simply just include a duplicate "Visitor Message"-style tab into our profiles and have that act as our blogs?

Oba Yozo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Couldn't we simply just include a duplicate "Visitor Message"-style tab into our profiles and have that act as our blogs?
    Actually, that sounds really good.

*Aki*
    Of course having a blog would be cool...but it would really overload the forum I guess, so I think we should be content with the things we have now...it's already more than most forums offer...

Yaoi Veteran
    Savings

Yuuri (L2)Armin SnK (L9)Suzuki-san
    Masamune (L10)Pray for Japan
    I remember that we used to have blogs here ^___^ But if you want a blog why not make it on LJ or something and link it up? >__<;; I agree with Aki, I think this forums offers a lot of features already :3

Oba Yozo
    I can't speak for Gizmo, but I think I kind of understand what she's trying to get at. I think her quarry is that creating mini-blogs would allow people to get a better sense of each other, in that as of right now, the site seems to be kinda/sorta clique-ish. Not to mention, blogs are total avant-garde nerd-chic. I mean, they're like retro and hip, at the same time!

Yaoi Lover
    India, though I'd go anywhere with my computer and networks ^_^
    Savings

Ace (L5)Heart 1 (Blue)Luffy (L10)
    Sebastian (L13)Shanks (L8)Gray (L9)
    Sanzo (L10)Zoro (L7)Sanji (L9)

Okay, I see your point now, and yes, it'd increase the level of personalisation in the forum; which is pretty much cliche right now. And having such tabs can also reduce the amount of spam ( in the name of 'rants' and whatnot ) takes place in the forum. If the forum has got a limit placed for such blogs, there might not be an overload ( which includes the 'database' errors ). But still, I hope it is pretty much affordable? Cuz I have no idea about it.

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by limedragon View Post
    I remember that we used to have blogs here ^___^ But if you want a blog why not make it on LJ or something and link it up? >__<;;
    Like I said earlier, anyone who wants an actual blog can do that. What I'm proposing isn't exactly a "user blog" but a user "miniblog" - a blog-like feature - something that's specific only to AF audience.

Does that make sense?

Of course having a blog would be cool...but it would really overload the forum I guess, so I think we should be content with the things we have now...it's already more than most forums offer...
    Hmm. Does anyone know exactly or can guess appropriately how much bandwidth this feature would use??

Quote Originally Posted by Oba Yozo View Post
    ... in that as of right now, the site seems to be kinda/sorta clique-ish. Not to mention, blogs are total avant-garde nerd-chic. I mean, they're like retro and hip, at the same time!
    I didn't imply that this forum was in any way "clique"-ish at all, rather, I just think it'd allow more members their own freedom if everyone is able to build up their forum profiles beyond just an insufficient "About Me" page.

Quote Originally Posted by Yavannah

Please stop making multiple posts one after the other, there is an "edit post" function next to each post. You can also quote multiple posts in your answer.

Thank you.

~Yavannah
    Hi Yavannah, thanks for the reminder. I see that double posting, even as a reply to two very different suggestions, is a tax on your bandwidth.

However, I'd like to point out that in trying to clarify my comment with full clarity, to two different posters with different ideas, needed separate comments. I thought posting two comments separately would put more emphasis to the differences of my responses. I thought posting replies in one giant comment would compact/compress my multiple reponses - people would just look over them as opposed to actually reading.

So, please note the double post was not just a throw-away comment done arbitrarily because I forgot to edit my previous comment. It was done for the reason I wanted to adequately emphasize a different point.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-16-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Asami (L10)Heart 1 (Red)Akihito (L10)
    Spacer 1Fei Long (L10)Spacer 1
    Okita (L8)Gokudera (L8)Hijikata PMK (L8)

The newly added "Visitor's Page" is enough - for me.
    IF there would be a blog-like feature, then at least that visitor's page should get deleted - I don't see the point in having two similar features O_o'
    You can use the visitor's page to interact, give more info about yourself in the info/intro section of this forum...

Besides, I still think that a blog (although it sounds nice >-<) would get the database offline frequently.
    Aarinfantasy is a huge community, just imagine if everyone decides to put up their blog, additional postings, entries, replies... @___@'
    I don't wanna imagine the dataload.

Oba Yozo

I didn't imply that this forum was in any way "clique"-ish at all, rather, I just think it'd allow more members their own freedom if everyone is able to build up their forum profiles beyond just an insufficient "About Me" page.

Yeah, I know you didn't, but that's my personal opinion on it. I guess I should have clarified. My bad.

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Nuriko View Post
    The newly added "Visitor's Page" is enough - for me.
    IF there would be a blog-like feature, then at least that visitor's page should get deleted - I don't see the point in having two similar features O_o'
    You can use the visitor's page to interact, give more info about yourself in the info/intro section of this forum...
    But the Visitor's Page is for socializing/leaving messages for others. It's for interacting with other people. It's not a page for expressing what you want to say. It's for others who express what they want say to you.

The blog page would not be exactly like a Visitor's Page. A Blog page would be a separate category for posting your own messages. The blog page is opposite to a Visitor's Page in a way, because the point of it is to express your thoughts rather than read what others are saying to you. You don't interact with others on a blog page, you write your own thoughts. A visitor's page is for interaction, not a blog.

I guess I wasn't being clear enough, so I'll dilute my suggestion in more compact statements:

1. Forum visitors should have individual blogs to get them to build their forum profiles beyond just a superficial aspect like we have right now.

That is the point of having User Blogs - to give individual members more freedom to say what they want to say.

2. Because installing blogs would take too much resources, we should style the blog to use the same, simple interface that Visitor's Message page uses. Like a kind of "miniblog," with limited features. (For example, word number limits for entries.)

3. This does not mean the Blog page is exactly like the Visitor's Page. It just means the Blog pages appears like and uses the same tools as the Visitor's page.

The Blog page is a Blog for posting your own individual thoughts. The Visitor's page is for others to post their thoughts to you. These are two very different things, and can't be combined.

Besides, I still think that a blog (although it sounds nice >-<) would get the database offline frequently.
    Aarinfantasy is a huge community, just imagine if everyone decides to put up their blog, additional postings, entries, replies... @___@'
    I don't wanna imagine the dataload.
    I see that, which is why I mentioned having another tab on your profile page for a blog would limit that sort of database overload. Like I said earlier, it's is close to impossible installing a full legit blog for every member in this forum. It is close to impossible because of too many users and not enough resources.

This is why if we style the Blog to look and use the same things as what we use now with Visitor's page, we can realistically afford to do it. I do not think it would take too much resources to duplicate the Visitor's Page code system into a Blog. I mean, we already do that now with the 'About Me' tab, the "Friends" tab, the "Statistics" tab, etc.

I have a question. Does anyone have an idea exactly how much bandwidth placing another tab in your profile page as a user blog would take?

If we know this, then we could probably determine whether installing User Blogs can be done realistically.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-16-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast