aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

View Poll Results: Author: Do you feel a point mod for beta readers/editor will help?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • Yes

11 64.71%
  • No

3 17.65%
  • Other...

3 17.65%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yaoi Legend

Savings

Kei Yamashiro (L8)Heart 1 (Blue)Takashi Okumura (L8)
    Rin Matsuoka (L9)Haruka Nanase (L9)Makoto Tachibana (L6)
    Hollow Ichigo (L9)Shunsui (L5)Miyuki (L4)

I definitely think some changes could be made to the current system as I (and I'm guessing I'm not alone here) wasn't even aware that we had a beta system.

I think the point of having a mod or something like that was meant to help logistically and organizationally. It's harder to keep a thread organized if no one's willing *to* organize it.

Feral Faerie of Fiction

Tracking catboys, for photography purposes only... You believe me. Right?
    Savings

Chopin (L9)Cloud (L9)Chaos (L10)
    Noel (L10)Squall (L10)Sephiroth (L8)
    Caius Ballad (L10)Nanaki (Red XIII) (L10)Saix (L7)

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    Great post Ferus37.

I've been mulling it over the past few days and I think the following would work if people supported and the staff would allow it:

A Beta Reading & Reviews sub-board in the Fiction section.
    The following could be stickied topics:

1. A listing of beta readers/proofreaders willing to work for free.
    2. A listing of beta readers/proofreaders who will only work for points.
    (Let's face it, time and skill are valuable. People have the right to want to be compensated for it)
    (It would make sense that people would need to post in each thread if their availability changes at any time)
    3. Fan Fiction Review Requests
    4. Original Fiction Review Requests.
    5. Sponsorship Requests (For writers who want to request Paid beta's but don't have enough points)

I think the rest of the board would be very useful for off-the wall requests, commentaries, and related discussions and tutorials.

The fact is - a single thread in the fiction section doesn't really accommodate everyone's needs anymore, at the moment. Chances are something like this - or something similar to this might fill all of our current needs.

Note:
    People with worries over unskilled/inarticulate people doing betas just for the points have a very valid concern.
    Maybe there could be some sort of system where everyone has to do something like at least three (3) Free betas and get a positive grade from each requesting author before they qualify for for the Paid beta listing...?
    Then - and only then, could they be moved from the Free beta reader listing to the Paid beta reader listing.
    I think that this system would be the most ideal at this time. I'll try to have it set up tomorrow.

Yaoi Legend

Savings

Kei Yamashiro (L8)Heart 1 (Blue)Takashi Okumura (L8)
    Rin Matsuoka (L9)Haruka Nanase (L9)Makoto Tachibana (L6)
    Hollow Ichigo (L9)Shunsui (L5)Miyuki (L4)

That sounds great. Umm, another thing I wanted to note about a listing of betas:

Some beta readers work exclusively with only grammar and mechanics while some work with characterization and things like that also. I think it'd be good to have in the beta profiles which betas are willing to work on helping the author stay canon and in-character and in which fandoms they know the characters and settings well enough to help with those sorts of things. Then, some betas are gentle while others are tougher and are willing to knock a chapter back and forth with you a couple of times. Some betas won't work with some fandoms or ratings or warnings.

So, what I'm really trying to say is that there should be some sort of a profile each beta fills out that lists strengths, weaknesses, what they're willing to do, what fandoms they're willing to work with, their estimated time of finishing a chapter, etc.

Feral Faerie of Fiction

Tracking catboys, for photography purposes only... You believe me. Right?
    Savings

Chopin (L9)Cloud (L9)Chaos (L10)
    Noel (L10)Squall (L10)Sephiroth (L8)
    Caius Ballad (L10)Nanaki (Red XIII) (L10)Saix (L7)

Quote Originally Posted by GenericWit View Post
    That sounds great. Umm, another thing I wanted to note about a listing of betas:

Some beta readers work exclusively with only grammar and mechanics while some work with characterization and things like that also. I think it'd be good to have in the beta profiles which betas are willing to work on helping the author stay canon and in-character and in which fandoms they know the characters and settings well enough to help with those sorts of things. Then, some betas are gentle while others are tougher and are willing to knock a chapter back and forth with you a couple of times. Some betas won't work with some fandoms or ratings or warnings.

So, what I'm really trying to say is that there should be some sort of a profile each beta fills out that lists strengths, weaknesses, what they're willing to do, what fandoms they're willing to work with, their estimated time of finishing a chapter, etc.
    Thank you for the suggestions!

Okay, the new subsection has been added. I am still adding threads, and will most likely add more tomorrow when I have more time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12