aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

General Discussion

1. REM and the IRS
    REM and the IRS
    I know this is a little out of place on an anime forum, but I cant be the only one who likes guys in spandex tights.
    So I figure the first thing that should be here is a general discussion of favorite series', characters, artists, writers and whatever else anyone can think of.

I guess I'll go first.
    >.>...<.<... I love.. Batman. Ya can't go wrong with the Bat-clan. And Oh My God! Grant Morrison's latest run exploded my brain! *guuh* I also really love The Young Avengers. Billy and Teddy are my absolute favorite Marvel couple. Yay for cannon gay!
  2. sio chan
    sio chan
    *massivly excited* a fellow comic lover!! Wheee, thank you for creating this group! I guess I should share my favourites? Essential Spiderman the classic series running from the late 50s right up to the late 80s the remade version of the 2000 on was just awful in comparison, Alan Moore possibly the best writer ever evidenced by V for Vendetta', Watchmen, Promethia and Top 10 need I say more? Garath Ennis and his Preacher series, Stormwatch followed by The Authority (although I stopped reading Authority after wildstorm publishing got swallowed up by DC they completely ruined the characters for me! and then you have the writing god that is Neil Gaimen ... The Endless and all the off shoots inspired by his work like the Books Of Magic, Constantine and Lucifer! Astro City is also really good and The Fables series is pretty addictive! and now that I've outed myself as a huge graphics geek I shall depart
  3. REM and the IRS
    REM and the IRS
    Yay! Kin!
    Honestly, I don't know much about Spiderman, but Alan Moore is a really good writer. Watchmen and V were fabulous, But my fave of course was Batman: The Killing Joke. And woah! Garth Ennis rocks my socks! Have you ever read his Midnighter solo run? It's very much epic. Warren Ellis was great on the Authority too. Though his other stuff is a little hard core for me. But my favorite writer is Geoff Johns. I think I've loved everything that man has touched.
    On another note, you really think that DC ruined Wildstorm? I never noticed a drop in quality. I rather liked Morrisson and Brubaker's runs and after. though I haven't read the latest issues.
  4. sio chan
    sio chan
    Hmm it was more that they phased out the homosexual relationships and changed some of the characters during the Authority ... I've never read the Wildcats series although I always meant too so I'm not sure how the other Wildstorm comics fared in the buy over but I know that for me the Authority was just never quite as good or as edgy ... but maybe I'm judgemental in my comic reading! :P How do you feel about the comic to movie translation? I HATED V for Vendetta the movie it was pure drivel in comparison to the book and its made me dubious about Watchmen (although I'm totally going to see it when it comes out!!) I think sometimes it works really well Iron Man, edward nortons Hulk other times its just truly awful like Daredevil and Constantine *shiver* I tried to block that one from my memory!
  5. REM and the IRS
    REM and the IRS
    I can see what you mean about the edgy-ness. The first writer, Ellis, is probably the epitomy of comic edgy-ness, so it had no where to go but down. That tis sad. I haven't been able to get my hands on Sormwatch yet, so I don't really know much about the characters they replaced with this team. But for some reason even I can't fathom I did really like the first Doctor. The newer kid just doesn't have the same umph.
    Alan Moore hated the V for Vendetta movie too. His arguments pretty much the same as yours. It's why he refuses to work for DC anymore. But I don't know... It was entertaining and emotionally porvoking. I think for people who didn't read the comic, it did well as a story in itself.
    And yeah, I have very low expectations for the Watchmen movie. But this way I won't be dissapionted when I see it.
    I think Ironman did well because it was done by Marvels own studio. Most of the stuff that was done outside of the studio, like Daredevil just fell short of Marvel quality to me. And I do agree with you on Constantine, it wasn't great and didn't do the comic justice. .....But Keanu is a guilty pleasure of mine so I let it slide.
    Sorry for the incredibly too long post, I'm done now. : )
  6. sio chan
    sio chan
    Hmm see everytime I found someone who actually liked the V film I made them read the book just so they good see just how WRONG the film was! I did realise that Alan Moore didnt like the film his name wasnt in the credits they only credited the artist and when I checked online I saw that it was because Moore quite rightly refused to have his name associated with it. Hmm I dunno the Constantine film might actually have worked for me if they had named it anything else given the characters different names but knowing that they made the phenominally english constantine into this really Hollywood thing and it just upset me that he gave up the cigarettes in the end! Thats not who constantine is! And Papa Midnight the actor was good but the charactor was no where near as creepy/ nasty or pycho as he should have been...
  7. REM and the IRS
    REM and the IRS
    That's so true about the Constantine film. I actually just started reading the Hellblazer comic and the movie really doesn't compare. Love the comic though, he's so different from most of the guys who combat the supernatural. He seems... much more human, if you know what I mean. That and the narration is absolutlely beautiful.
    ...Now I need to watch the movie again....to compare. *goes off and frolics*
  8. sio chan
    sio chan
    Constantine, his looks are based on Sean Bean basically Constantine is human in the sense that he does selfish things, sometimes has good intentions but ends up doing the wrong thing hes very human and flawed and is a truly great character and the hellblazer series is well worth reading *wheee for frolics*
  9. REM and the IRS
    REM and the IRS
    I don't know who Sean Bean is. Haha.
    But I do like Constantine's character, even if I want to smack him sometimes. XD It's good to see "normal" people trying their best to solve problems every once in a while. Instead of just leaving it to the superpowered guys. Maybe that's why I like Batman so much. He kicks but without being indestructable.
    I suppose that's also why I like more modern comics than those of the "Golden Age", it seems, to me at least that there is a lot more focus on character development and introspection in later comics than earlier ones. But who knows. I may just be spouting nonsense. XD
  10. sio chan
    sio chan
    Sean Bean = Boromir in LOTR Picture him in the yellow trenchcoat and its Constantine!!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast