aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Death Note

1. Eaglet
    Eaglet
    Thanks for the welcome, xfangirlx! And I figured many of the people here would share my opinion on Misa, to be honest. XD

And as for Near... The thing with him is that, to me, he just seems like a cheap substitute to L. Now, I know they needed something to replace L, or else Light would have won by default. But the way he just popped out of nowhere with intellect comparable to L's when he's only about half his age is just... I don't know, I find it annoying. And nothing he does seems that interesting to me, since we've already seen L act in similar ways. And though Mello did pop out of nowhere much like Near did, I felt like he had more to contribute, and it was just generally more interesting to follow his actions. Also, the fact that Near was the one to defeat Light (albeit with the help of Mello) and survive in the end didn't help.

I mean no offense to Near fans (or Near fan, in case there really is only one), just voicing my opinion and answering the question.

Thanks for the compliment flagfish (I'm rather surprised my post was considered non-obnoxious, to be honest), but I'd really advice you against saying that my post should act as an example, lest everyone starts posting long drawn out posts with many words and barely nothing important to convoy. Then again, that would mean that my ramblings wouldn't stand out as much... Okay then, you may carry on.

Oh and definitely two thumbs up for you for using the word "atrocious" in your post.

And I feel like such an outsider in this entire dub issue, since I've never gotten the chance to see English dubs of any series (save from DBZ). A select few series that have made their way to where I live have been naturally dubbed with my first language, and I have the feeling that I would prefer the English version to it any day of the year. I swear, they have only a dozen voice actors voicing every character in every Anime unfortunate enough to start to air here.

I still believe the original voices are the best however, and that goes for everything; Anime, movies, series, regardless of their country of origin. That doesn't mean I'd be rioting against dubs, though, just that I'm not a fan of them.

... And look at me, here I am rambling again. I knew this would happen from the moment I had typed out that Near part. Ah well.
  2. GeoffsGem
    GeoffsGem
    ha ha yeah there's not many Near fans all things considered compared to others. I am one however. I know a Near cosplayer too. Granted I wish to kick her...hmm maybe there's a reason. I need to find out if other Near fans make me want beat them.

and welcome eglet and i dont mind long ranting posts we all make them from time to time.

on the topic of dubs i like subs better overall not sure why...
  3. goddess8878
    goddess8878
    I think a lot of people prefer the subs. I mean, they're usually the first version we see. We get attached to the voices. And that's all well and good. I'm always going to prefer Miyano Mamoru's sexy voice to what's his face voicing Light. I'm always going to prefer Yamaguchi Kappei's also sexy voice to the other what's his face voicing L. BUT...I don't hate the new english voices either.
    Ah, the Near hate...I love the Near hate. That kid creeps me out. And his english voice sounds suspiciously like Naruot's english voice. I keep expecting him to say "believe it" which I'd actually LOVE to hear him say...because it would only make me hate him more. If that's even possible.
  4. flagfish
    flagfish
    Oh and definitely two thumbs up for you for using the word "atrocious" in your post.

H....have I just been.....spoken down to?

Being patronizing and condescending is my job.
  5. Eaglet
    Eaglet
    I was merely commending you for using one of my favorite words, with no intent to make you feel humble. So by all means, keep your job as the local patronizer, I'll allow it.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome bloodygem. 8)

... And now I'm imagining Near in an orange jumpsuit running around his 'office' in a hyperactive manner, shouting "Believe it" as he goes. And that, to be sure, is not a pleasant sight.
  6. flagfish
    flagfish
    Well - be that as it may, just the mere lack of onion heads is so refreshing.

As for Near, well, you know, I've already said enough about him before and I'd just be repeating myself. He's just one of the many things that make the second arc...not likable.

And amo, I know you're sad because the dub took from you the one redeeming aspect you saw in Near (byuuuuuunnnnn...)
  7. Eaglet
    Eaglet
    I was just joking, actually. Couldn't help it...

Oh, onion heads? Is that what those shockingly popular white creatures are called? Great, now I can actually refer to them without complicated descriptions of their appearance!

... Hmm, after googling "onion head", it seems like the things have music videos made for them, as well as an official site and apparently key chains. I'm... quite shocked, for numerous reasons.

Anyway, on the topic of Near, I keep hearing about him getting paired with some girl he has apparently talked to in the past. So, since I'm curious of said girl's origin, could someone tell me if this girl is exclusive to the Anime, or if I seriously need to re-read the Manga? I'm leaning toward the former, since I can say with pretty much hundred per cent certainty that she was not in any chapter I have read. I'd like to think I would at least remember that much, unless, of course, she only appeared in one panel or something.
  8. TheHunted
    TheHunted
    Hey guys, I'm new here.

I'm not a complete fan of Near's role in the anime, to say the truth, but I do like him as a character. Though yes, as Eaglet pointed out, he is more or less, a white haired version of L but that still doesn't mean that’s bad. It's just a bit, for lack of better words, awkward to see such an original character as L seemingly cloned. Still, he could be worse.

And about Misa... She's an obnoxious, love-struck girl who's crush on Light seems beyond exaggerated, and yet I couldn't see Death Note without her. Its quite aggravating.

Those are just my thoughts on the matters.
  9. flagfish
    flagfish
    The problem, as I see it, isn't really so much whether or not Near somehow "lives up" to L, but rather that the entire second arc is somehow anti-climactic following the intensity there was in the battle between Light and L.

Near isn't a likable character, but, really, there aren't any really likable characters in the second arc.

While I don't want to devote more time talking about Misa, as I said before, I don't see the problem with her being her crush on Light - everyone has a crush on Light. Even people who don't fall for him romantically fall for his charm. That's just the kind of political, seductive person he is, and really, the very soft way he seduces everyone is something I really like about him.

Ah, but I won't delve (yet again) into the long and winded discussion of what I do think is wrong with misa, so let's go back to talk about Light.

Few guys have looked prettier tied up and crying.
  10. goddess8878
    goddess8878
    Byuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun...oh god, I just want it back byyyyuuuuuuuunnnnnn...it was the ONLY thing I liked about that little creep. But, nooooooo, they had to go vroom. Those asshats.
    Oh, and Eaglet, while I've never heard of Near being paired up with any girl, I'm thinking it could be Linda that you're talking about. The only other person at Wammy's that you hear of and she's only in like, one panel I believe.
Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast