aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Intros and tell us what web comics you are following.

1. Lelna
    Lelna
    Hi! I thought I'd join this group since I have a veritable ton of webcomics that I follow. The yaoi ones I check regularly include Tripping Over You and The Young Protectors. I loved Artifice even if it doesn't update any more. I'll check Starfighter and/or Teahouse occasionally when I'm in the mood, though they aren't really my taste.

Other than that, I don't think I really want to clutter the thread with my giant list of comics I follow. To give you an idea, my folder of bookmarks for comics I check at least once a week (sometimes daily) has 35 links. This does not count ones that I check every so often when I'm bored. Top favorites (non-BL) include Girl Genius, Wiglaf and Mordred, xkcd, A Girl and Her Fed, Something Positive, Archipelago... aaaand the list goes on. And on.
  2. dharmaserenity
    dharmaserenity
    I say feel free to clutter the page. I'm always looking for new recs so I welcome it.

And welcome to the group
  3. Lelna
    Lelna
    Well... can't say I didn't warn you.

Some things may not be work-safe. Here's an abridged list of ones I'd recommend - most of these update regularly.

Fantasy/Sci-fi/Steampunk

Stuff that happens in other universes that are drastically different from our own.
    Alien Dice (Sci-fi)
    Cue the classic human-meets-alien story. Except the alien is rather busy fighting for his life and liberty, and doesn't need human nuisance... even if she is pretty. Wonderful plot with great characters that balance the alien side with surprisingly human qualities.
    Archipelago (Fantasy, with occasional steampunk machinery)
    A lot of unique spins on old ideas, AND original ideas - unlike any fantasy world I've found. The world is incredibly detailed, full of well-rounded characters. Great storytelling with plenty of both happy moments and sad ones.
    Flaky Pastry (Fantasy/Sci-fi)
    It's got dragons, elves and goblins. The dragon is the landlord, the elf is a madwoman, and the goblin is way too obsessed with pretty people (guys AND girls). Pretty art, with fun characters.
    Girl Genius (Gaslamp Fantasy/Steampunk)
    In a world ruled by mad scientists... one good art, great characters, and an awesome, twisty plot. If you like mad scientists, it's worth a read.
    Wiglaf and Mordred (Fantasy... almost supernatural slice-of-life)
    Goody-two-shoes hero meets villain bent on world domination. Hero decides to move in with villain and be villain's best friend - whether villain wants it or no. Totally shippable characters. The fantasy, though definitely there, is mostly background to the relationships.
    Zap! (Sci-fi)
    A harmless-seeming, amiable idiot amnesiac stows away onboard a sentient ship. The ship decides he's the captain. Then the plot gets even more fun. Art has improved to gorgeous levels, and the story is a nice mixture of adventure and sweetness.

Supernatural Slice of Life/Superhero/Post-Apocalyptic/Misc.

Happens in... something like our world. Falls on a scale between "straight fantasy/sci-fi" and "totally normal".
    A Girl and Her Fed (Sci-fi/Spy Drama)
    It's got cyborgs, a scary talking koala, and ghosts of the founding fathers. The amazing, well-paced plot, however, is the main draw. A little too real-world based for straight sci-fi. I recommend the spinoff novel for a good mystery, even without reading the comic.
    El Goonish Shive (Supernatural Slice-of-Life)
    Random webcomic where you could expect a line like this: "Sure, a wizard with murderous intentions showed up the other day. Now I have to wake up for school and WHY DID I JUST CHANGE GENDERS." Too normal to be fantasy, too fantasy to be normal, but fun to read.
    Grrrl Power (Superhero)
    In a world where all the superheroes and heroines have stereotypical gorgeousness, enter Sydney, a foul-mouthed ADD nerd who rather fails in the looks department in comparison - who also has superpowers. Slow pacing, but good art, nerdiness and plenty of humor.
    The Jupiter Palladium (Superhero)
    It's a world where superpowers are common - but also distrusted, and with good reason. A ragtag team bands together with a mixture of motives to fight for justice for both superpowered people and normal people. Strange art, but interesting concept.
    Not A Villain (Post-Apocalyptic with sci-fi tones)
    After "The End", the only way for many people to interact is in virtual reality. Hackers are feared after one somehow killed thousands - and that one is searched for by many. And that one isn't Kleya. Nope, not a chance. Really. Artwork's improving, story is worth it.
    Wapsi Square (Supernatural slice-of-life)
    This moves more into the fantasy genre with every passing storyline, but it's still got a level of normality to keep it sane. The heroines have their daily problems, true, but they also deal with all sorts of supernatural problems. Nice artwork, uses both old myths and new ideas.

Slice of Life/Plain Adventure or Action
    No more than occasional departures from reality, although there may be a few.
    Girls with Slingshots (Slice of Life)
    It starts out with two girls. No slingshots are involved. It expands to a huge cast of developed, occasionally faulty, fun-filled characters. Still no slingshots are involved. No one knows what is up with the cats or the talking cactus, so don't ask.
    Life (Slice of Life)
    A webcomic with slowly improving artwork about an apathetic boy and a girl with a weird, convoluted mind and intentionally split personality. There's no obvious plot, but the mental processing of both would fascinate anyone interested in armchair psychology.
    No Pink Ponies (Slice of Life)
    Cute story about a cute nerd girl who has a crush on a cute nerd guy and tries to attract his attention. Neither the best nor the brightest, but charming, funny, and nerdy.
    Questionable Content (Slice of Life)
    It's about a bunch of indie-type people. It's got no real storyline besides the lives of the characters. Occasionally it features content that is questionable. The characters are written realistically, with flaws and all, as people - I suppose that's the charm. That and the humor.
    Something Positive (Slice of Life)
    There's nothing really good in the characters - they will tell you that themselves, thank you very much. However, they have depth, honesty, and truly good intentions, despite the way life treats them, they treat themselves, and them occasionally being jerks to each other.

Gag-a-Day
    Plot is sparse or non-existent here.
    Awkward Zombie (Gaming)
    Funny gaming webcomic, if you play video games. If you don't play games it can be funny too, but you might not get some jokes. Colorful, with a fun, fresh look at aspects of different games.
    Sinfest (Gag-a-Day, borderline supernatural slice of life)
    This one occasionally develops a plot, but usually the strips are self-contained with reoccurring characters. It's gotten a little preachy recently, but it's still funny. Giant archive, reminds me a little of Calvin and Hobbes for some reason - though more grown up.
    xkcd (Gag-a-Day)
    To call this a stick figure webcomic is to refer to a Ferrari as a piece of metal on wheels - accurate, but doesn't give the right idea. It's a mixture of brilliance that befits a physics major (who writes it) and an amazing sense of humor - it's popular for a reason.

BL/Yaoi
    I've added two more since I listed my favorites. You've probably already heard of these, but I thought I'd list them anyway.
    doki doki CheckMate (Fantasy, BL)
    Seems like a fairly new comic. Unusual artwork, with a story that seems to be turning into something pretty cute. A knight gets sent to kill a king... and things don't go as planned. Not a lot of story yet, though.
    Kaito Shuno (Drama, Yaoi)
    I don't usually like webcomics from this site - and the sketchy art and bad grammar this one began with didn't impress me. It was more fun than the essay I was working on, though, and it got a LOT better. Highly influenced by manga, with cute, well-developed characters who try to work through relationship problems and learn about each other... but keep getting distracted by lots of smex. *giggles*
    Tripping Over You (Slice of Life, BL)
    Adorable story with adorable protagonists, about two best friends in an English boarding school who develop a relationship despite the obstacles in their way. It keeps the protagonists surprisingly realistic, while still being incredibly cute.
    The Young Protectors (Superhero, BL)
    A superhero and a supervillain make an unlikely couple - but somehow, the author not only makes it work, but also makes it convincing. And romantic and sexy.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234