aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Supporter

Savings

Squall (L10)Rai Lamento (L9)Ikuto (L3)
    Noctis (L8)Ritsuka (L7)Rai (L7)
    Sodom (human) (L1)Sasuke (young) (L4)Squall (L6)

Question for people who host on their own servers..

How much bandwidth would you say that you use per month? In relation to how many series/OVAs you offer for download, I mean.

Say I offered 5 episodes of an anime. How much bandwidth d'you think I'd use? x:

Thanks!

Fuji
    It depends on how new your anime is, where you post these links, and how many other available sources there are.

I host artbooks and BL games, about 25 gigs of it in total, posted to aarinfantasy forum. It takes up about 100 gigs a month. You can find the thread in my siggy, if you want to see the list of what I host. These files are not as popular as anime episodes, especially yaoi anime episodes.

If the episode is a brand new release and you are the only host, then you could have 100+ downloads per day for the first week, and then slows down after that. One episode = ~300mb? Then it would be 300mb x 100 dls x 7 days = ~210 gigs in the first week. If there are 3 hosts with the same file, then maybe only 70 gigs. If there are 10 hosts, maybe 20 gigs. If this is a common and older release, you may only use up 10 gigs a month per episode.

Furthermore, if you post the link to a public website and anyone on the internet can download, you may get something like 1000 downloads or 10,000 downloads a day. In a forum, the numbers are usually much less. If you have a script or password to stop bots and hotlinkers, that helps too. When I first started hosting, a 600 mb file of mine was hotlinked for 270 gigs within a few days before I realized it was hotlinked and put a stop to it. Bots will also download anything they get their hands on, and if you don't do something to prevent spambots from sapping your links of hundreds of gigs a day, you'll be losing bandwidth without even having real people download your files. Finally, do you allow download accelators/managers? Some of them hammer your server and download 3-10 times the amount of the file just for 1 file (this makes the download faster). That means each 300 mb download could eat up a few gigs per download even though it's only 300mb file size. You can block download accelerators with .htaccess or you can make rules on how to download, etc.

I suggest putting a bandwidth throttle on your server for a fraction of your paid bandwidth. When that's used up, your links go offline, but you are not hit with a ton of over-bandwidth fees (which can be really expensive) . Try hosting a little to start with, see how the first month goes, and gauge your way from there. ^^

Yaoi Supporter

Savings

Squall (L10)Rai Lamento (L9)Ikuto (L3)
    Noctis (L8)Ritsuka (L7)Rai (L7)
    Sodom (human) (L1)Sasuke (young) (L4)Squall (L6)
    Thank you Fuji, that is very helpful. ^^

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Shiki R (L6)Saber (L10)Ayase (L8)
    Ai Enma (L8)Yuuki (L9)Soubi (L10)
    Rukia (L10)Xmas (013)Pray for Japan

I have a question... maybe stupid but...

How can I know my bandwith? If I wan't to host files, I should know how much I can offer, no? Just so you know, I have illimited download and upload, but my Internet provider don't tell anything about the bandwith...

Fuji
    Quote Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
    I have a question... maybe stupid but...

How can I know my bandwith? If I wan't to host files, I should know how much I can offer, no? Just so you know, I have illimited download and upload, but my Internet provider don't tell anything about the bandwith...
    You bandwidth is the limit for your upload/download. If your provider says it is unlimited upload/download, then it is technically "unlimited" bandwidth, which means that if you use up a LOT of bandwidth in a month (I'm guessing over 1 TB or something), they may shut you down but they cannot charge you additional fees.