aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Kotetsu (L2)Heart 3 (Pink)Barnaby (L2)
    Bunny (L6)Heart 6 (Devil)Tiger (L6)
    Count (L3)

Converting MKV to AVI

The not-so-tech savvy Aarin granny here again. I've been trying to convert the MKVs of Recorder to Randoseru to AVI using the Leawo Converter (Free Version). Why is it that when I convert a couple of MKV files -- specifically Eps 9 and 11 -- all I get is a big black screen (no pictures) but with the soundtrack? All the other files I've converted didn't have this problem. Is the glitch with the MKV file? I've tried downloading the same eps from other sources and I still get the same problem.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

It could be that you've got a bad file. It could also be that you've got a codec problem, although why only those two episodes would have been encoded with a different codec, I couldn't say (unless they're from a different subber than the others), or that the piece of software you're using, with which I'm not specifically familiar, has problems with certain encoding settings.

First test: can you play the files back without re-encoding them? If you can, it's your converter that's broken and not the files or codecs (unlikely, but it's quick to check).

Second test: does "Hi10P" appear anywhere in the filename? That's a comparatively new codec variant that might cause trouble for some older software.

If it won't play back and isn't a Hi10P file, try redownloading it. If it still won't play, it may be a codec problem—make sure you have a good codec pack installed (I think K-lite is the usual recommendation for a Windows user these days). If even that doesn't make the file playable, technical analysis may be necessary.

If the file plays but won't convert, you need better conversion software. videohelp.com should have a wide selection, or you can look at older threads here for recommendations.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Count (L3)
    @eliddell Playing back the mkvs is a problem for me. I tried downloading codecs so that my Windows Media Player will be able to play them, but my screen suddenly turned blue. That's why I've been converting them to AVI on Leawo. But you're right. It is the "Hi10P" that's the problem. I got another file without "Hi10P" in it and it converted just fine, and quite clearly too. Thank you, thank you very much for your very useful advice!!

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

DS_002_(1)topleftMeier Link (L9)DS_002_(5)bottommid
    Pain (L13)DS_002_(6)bottomright(Event) Forum - Levi
    RyukDS_002_(4)bottomleftCatbus

This is the best codec pack that I know: CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack
    I installed in my PC with windows XP and in my brother's PC with windows 7 and plays MKV in Windows Media Player classic version just fine.
    I have problems with the Windows Media Player, I always had, so I use only the classic version.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Glad to have been of service. I would suggest getting just about any video player other than Windows Media Player, though—Media Player Classic and VLC both have fairly good reputations (I think VLC bundles codecs, too, or it used to, so there would be no need to install an external codec pack).

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by RoryObasan View Post
    @eliddell Playing back the mkvs is a problem for me. I tried downloading codecs so that my Windows Media Player will be able to play them, but my screen suddenly turned blue. That's why I've been converting them to AVI on Leawo. But you're right. It is the "Hi10P" that's the problem. I got another file without "Hi10P" in it and it converted just fine, and quite clearly too. Thank you, thank you very much for your very useful advice!!
    Sometimes, I encounter this MKV problems too. I have 6 different video players installed. Try using VLC of KMPlayer! It's those two that usually plays my MKV files.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Count (L3)
    @eliddell and everyone. Thank you very much for your informative advice. Unfortunately, because my eyes get strained considerably watching videos on my computer (in fact, I just came back from the doctor and I seem to have developed glaucoma and I'm getting blind in my right eye), I prefer to burn them all on DVD and watch them on TV. So, I really can't download any more media players or codecs for mkvs. I just convert them.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Wakasa (L4)Abel (L1)Minami Kenjirou (L8)
    (Event) Forum - Ritsuka Uenoyama(S078) Doumeki (chibi)(S077) Yashiro (chibi)
    MoonlightHamletAtsushi (Tiger)
    are your .mkv regular 8bit files or the newer Hi10bit kind ....??
    if they are the newer 10bit saddly at the moment no direct dvd making program supports the video..you get weird colors or black ..but audio is fine

but if just regular .mkv try convertXtoDVD ....(use a search and get a torrent with a serial) this one works rather well,but does have problems with .ass/.ssa subs ....makes very good dvds and if you need it to be PAL it will do it

you can hard sub your subs then use the Xtodvd ....but if your eyes bother you so very much....I really have no solution .....you can try to do just a single dvd at a time ....then burn and enjoy it on your tv where your eyes will not hurt so much

*I used a darker bolder font so you may see the reply better...hope it helps
    Last edited by lemur7; 03-24-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Faasoft's great "Video Converter" is probably one of the best commercial choices though to convert MKV to AVI. I've been using it for a while now.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

As for the black screen, i think it is because of the missing of your video file. You can try this video converter to convert mkv to avi, it is fast and of high efficiency, and can also convert mpeg4 to mp3 to extract bgm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast