aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yaoi Lover

Savings

Wakasa (L4)Abel (L1)Minami Kenjirou (L8)
    (Event) Forum - Ritsuka Uenoyama(S078) Doumeki (chibi)(S077) Yashiro (chibi)
    MoonlightHamletAtsushi (Tiger)

virtual-box-vmware which if any should I get ...WinXP host

Hi-there everyone ....
    I am always looking into different things....and lately many new things I'd like to try out are no longer supported by my trusty stable built like brick Win XP pro Os ....so I figured seeing as I am seriously underfunded and such...perhaps I should try a 'virtual environment' that can exist on my computer I now have and not cost money...

I am wanting to try out several different types of operating systems those being Win7 and Linux mint..but still choose my Win XP pro to have them on ....the question is which software should I choose ...oral's virtual-box or VM-ware's VMplayer... I need the environment to be fully functional ,,accept software installs/unistalls ...to be very blunt a fully functioning computer within my computer ...

anyone up for the job???

it must have super simple set-up ..I'm deflexic ...so command line set-up is not good...must be clicky-clicky done ...
    I already have the Win7 corporate iso ....

EDIT :: I've downloaded microsoft's virtual PC also ..the last version to support winXP Pro as host PC .....I've done the same for oracles virturalbox ...but I am unable to find the VMware program that supports XP so will not be trying that out .....
    please let me know of any tips for installing these if any ...thanks !
    ...as of this time I have not installed anything....all comments are welcomed ...
    Last edited by lemur7; 03-08-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Zoro (L10)Zoro (L9)Zoro (L7)
    Vegeta (L6)Alucard (L10)(Event) Forum - Law
    Kaname (L9)(Event) Forum - Yata Misaki(S057) Yoon Bum

Ok let me see if I understand your question correctly.
    You have PC with Win XP Pro on it, as your main OS, correct? (First up, if that's the case then you SERIOUSLY need to upgrade to something else)
    And you want a stable, easy to use Virtual OS that can still function like any other OS would?

In that case I'd recommend Oracle's VB. You can still install and uninstall programs and play around with the OS settings. It's easy to set-up and has a tonne of tutorials and guides to help you through the whole process.
    I played with that one a while back when we had a uni project to run multiple OSs on one PC.
    I haven't tested if it works with Win XP Pro, but I think it should. But again... it's such a super bad idea to still have XP as your main OS... just saying.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Thanks Araka ....the reason I had said XP as main host is my Machine/computer came with it
    So all the motherboard drivers are for XP...(its an older machine)
    so Oracle's virtualbox is the best ..did think that,,just wanted to make sure..
    again thanks a bunch...
    Last edited by lemur7; 03-14-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Yaoi Veteran
    Savings

Rei (L3)Shinji (L4)Kaworu (L4)
    Aki (L7)Akihito (L4)Sono (L3)
    Reinhard (L10)Saralegui (L3)Shinobu (L6)
    Actually the answer is much more complicated. First of all do you have a cpu that supports at least PAE/NX? Is the cpu at least dual core? Is it a 64 bit machine? How much ram does the said pc has? What type HDD does it have? For a virtual machine to run fluidly you need a copious amount of ram and at least a dual core with AMD-V or Intel-VT. Also the HDD it should be at least a sata 2. My 2 cents

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by libertypo View Post
    Actually the answer is much more complicated. First of all do you have a cpu that supports at least PAE/NX? Is the cpu at least dual core? Is it a 64 bit machine? How much ram does the said pc has? What type HDD does it have? For a virtual machine to run fluidly you need a copious amount of ram and at least a dual core with AMD-V or Intel-VT. Also the HDD it should be at least a sata 2. My 2 cents
    I'm running 32bit and yup dual core(3.5GHz) and 6 gigs (2G is un-allotted) of ram and yup on the rest....was thinking of putting the virtual machine OS on a separate drive..just needing to get one ..
    ,,I did look into just what was needed,,,my comp can support it all ...I had build my computer to have been used as a server...but it didn't pan out...

and thank-you for replying very bit of info is very welcomed....
    do you have any tips on installing virtualBox ?????
    Last edited by lemur7; 03-14-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Yaoi Veteran
    Savings

6 GB on a 32 bit machine?!
    Talking about wasting resources. For dual core I assume you are talking about a Pentium D 9xx series. If that's the case you are in a bit of a pinch. One advice, get on a 64 bit OS if only to use all the 6GB of ram. A separate HDD is a good solution albeit you won't have brilliant results anyhow given the underlying hardware. As for the virtual machine you can use either Virtualbox or Vmware Player if they still support XP although Virtualbox sometimes plays dirty tricks

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by libertypo View Post
    6 GB on a 32 bit machine?!
    Talking about wasting resources. For dual core I assume you are talking about a Pentium D 9xx series. If that's the case you are in a bit of a pinch. One advice, get on a 64 bit OS if only to use all the 6GB of ram. A separate HDD is a good solution albeit you won't have brilliant results anyhow given the underlying hardware. As for the virtual machine you can use either Virtualbox or Vmware Player if they still support XP although Virtualbox sometimes plays dirty tricks
    well like I had said it was supposed to be a server ...but it didn't happen ....the un-allotted Ram I can put for the virtual OS and not worry about either running short on it ....and I did get virtualBox for XP ..it's actually just from last december(2016)that is the last version in the 5.x builds ...my comp is running the pentium E5800 series....motherboard is an ASUS P5G41T-M LX ..so I think I should be okay... I'll be sticking to 32 bit though ..I have some very expensive software that is not support in the 64 bit enviroment

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Zoro (L10)Zoro (L9)Zoro (L7)
    Vegeta (L6)Alucard (L10)(Event) Forum - Law
    Kaname (L9)(Event) Forum - Yata Misaki(S057) Yoon Bum

You're welcome. Not sure how helpful my response was, but I only played with VirtualBox for a bit.
    Even though @libertypo; is right, that 6GB is a bit of a waste on a 32bit OS, it can't harm you. It's always better to have too much RAM than too little.
    The reason why I said it's bad to still have XP is simply because it's not supported by Microsoft anymore and thus it's very vulnerable to attacks. But that is obviously up to you ^^
    Also, I'm not sure if VitrualBox is the "best" option, but it is definately one of the most popular one since it's so simple to use, easy to set-up and has plenty of support. Plus it runs on (and with) pretty much everything.

Yaoi Veteran
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by lemur7 View Post
    well like I had said it was supposed to be a server ...but it didn't happen ....the un-allotted Ram I can put for the virtual OS and not worry about either running short on it ....and I did get virtualBox for XP ..it's actually just from last december(2016)that is the last version in the 5.x builds ...my comp is running the pentium E5800 series....motherboard is an ASUS P5G41T-M LX ..so I think I should be okay... I'll be sticking to 32 bit though ..I have some very expensive software that is not support in the 64 bit enviroment
    You don't get it do you? A 32 BIT OS WILL NEVER SEE AND USE 6GB OF RAM. In fact it doesn't even use 4 gb and it doesn't use the 64 bit instruction from the cpu. You should go to win 7 64 / Linux 64 and virtualize xp inside the 64 bit os. The cpu is not one of the best but it should be fine with a 64 bit os

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Thank-you for your replies.....
    though I do "get it" Libertypo.....(I will politely agree to dis-agree ...thousands of dollars of software that is not 64 bit supported is very good reason to stick to 32bit ....at least at the moment)
    you both have given me some very good and sound advise ...I'll now prepare a course of action .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast