aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Thread: E-readers

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Lan Zhan / Lan WangJi (L9)Heart 6 (Devil)YiLing P. (L9)
    (S029) Charles J. Chrishunds (Charley)(S027) Usami Akihiko(S028) Fushimi Saruhiko
    Loki (L10)Skull 1Tony Stark (L9)

E-readers

I still prefer cold hard print on processed trees but since certain titles are only electronically available I'm in the market to drop some $$$ for a fancy gadget to play with.

My requirements:
    Good for manga viewing - but I'm only planning to get PDF manga releases so PDF-reading capable (preferrable).
    Reading articles/ebooks that may have colour images - most of these are in pdf.
    Good for my eyes XD
    Can transfer files to/back from PC

I'm thinking of getting Ipad 3 when it's out but am open to others.

So any suggestions?
    Or just the pros/cons of some of the e-readers on the market?
    Last edited by sawwie-chan; 03-14-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Ruby_Alexandrine
    I'm planning on getting an Ipad 3 in the near future. In the meantime, I have the third generation regular Kindle which is cheaper than the Kindle Touch and Fire. I hope the links below will be useful to you in helping determine which gadget is best for you:
    iPad vs Kindle vs nook: Comparing e-Readers
    Tablet Considerations: iPad vs. Nook & Kindle Fire
    Kindle Vs. Nook Vs. iPad | eHow.com

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Steve Rogers (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Tony Stark (L9)
    Iron Man (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Captain America (L9)
    Spacer 1Tony Stark (L10)Spacer 1

Ipad is not just for reading, if you do not make use of the other functions then I would not use it since they are too expensive.

Options; remember Ereaders use Eink, they are not meant to use colour.
    If using pdf layouts or comics, I have done this before, then prepare for partly some getting used to in terms of reading. I found that some scanlators use smaller fonts so I had to zoom in most of the times and drag myself from corner to corner.
    when it comes to reading comics and manga Ereaders are not ideal. Not even now. They are meant for lettering mostly and pdf doesn't adjust to the screen size or to self coding like the .epup format.

If you are looking to buy a tablet maybe then I would go for at least Sam Sung Galaxy Tab, since it is a lot cheaper and has better functions. Apple is just too expensive imo for the things you get in return (not much at all).

There were other threads about Ereaders, you might do good reading them too.
    I own an old Sony Ereader, I've read manga on it and novels scanlated but it isn't ideal.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

(S029) Charles J. Chrishunds (Charley)(S027) Usami Akihiko(S028) Fushimi Saruhiko

Thanks Ruby! Those sites were interesting read, especially the first one, but looks like Ipad is still the front runner for my requirements :/ I don't think Nook is sold in my country
    I had wanted an e-reader because I have heard that they're kinder to your eyes unlike a regular LCD screen but I guess it's not possible with my colour requirements.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

@KarumA - I didn't want something just for reading manga but it was a major requirement. I wanted something for leisure (reading manga and ebooks) and for work (reading or at least displaying journal articles that are almost always in PDF format and may be in colour). The Ipad was a front runner since it had and also other extra features that could distract me e.g. games, camera etc. I asked for suggestions of other e-readers since I have heard that they're kinder to your eyes (my main beef with e-releases of manga).

Thank you for your tablet suggestion, I'll take a look at it although I'm not a fan of Samsung Galaxy ever since my dad's SG phone played up a few months after he got it.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

America (L5)England (L3)Levi SnK (L8)
    Eren SnK (L2)
    I'm planning to buy one too. So far I'm leaning on the Nook Tablet since it can function as an e-reader too.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Kise (L8)Eren Titan (L9)Yukio (L7)
    Rin (L9)(S028) Fushimi SaruhikoMisaki (L1)
    Pray for JapanElizabeth
    if you want to buy ipad 3, i think you should consider it. because its has many problems such as too hot after play so games (but i didn't know how the conditions after you used to read) and also there are some problems with battery.
    i'm using ipad 2. and i love how it works if you using other applications (e.g: kindle, nook, comicglass) you can read with may extensions (mobi, epub, pdf, txt, zip, rar, etc). maybe you would think that the price is expensive, but i think because ipad 3 is out, apple is reduced ipad2's price and you could buy the lowest size (16gb)

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

@augrit

Thanks for your comment, I was waiting for consumer reviews before actually getting it so your comment was useful

We already have an ipad 2 at home but it's not mine yet Was hoping to get the latest version since it's out but I will definitely consider more on the previous one with the cheaper price tag now.