aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Thread: VPN and whatnot

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Youko Nakajima (L3)Reiji GBF (L3)Sawamura Eijun (L6)
    N (L7)Draco Malfoy (L3)Law (L10)
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1

VPN and whatnot

I've done my google research (but maybe it's just me) - I need it dumbed down further. I also have a few questions.

Does it protect you from your ISP finding out what you're downloading/watching/reading?
    I don't use BT much nowadays as I mostly download through megaupload and mediafire. Is using those services is safer?
    The service also changes your IP, right? (hide them and assigns some other one to you or something) Does this mean sites only log that IP (and not ISP-assigned one)?

Also, does anyone here use VPN? If so, could you please recommend some good ones. I'm not too worried about speed. I'd rather have a reliable one opposed to fast one. (I've heard StrongVPN rats you out when asked to)

flaming tbag!

Savings

Masamune (L10)Heart 3 (Pink)Yukimura SB (L10)
    Masamune (chibi) (L2)Yukimura Sanada (chibi) (L2)Kojuurou (chibi) (L2)
    Shiroyasha (L9)Fayt (L1)Steve Rogers (L9)

As far as hiding your IP address, you can think of a VPN connection as being somewhat similar to a router. When you log in to a VPN, you are essentially "hiding" behind a giant.. router of sorts.

The steps are:
    1) Connect to the internet
    2) Connect to the VPN
    3) Connect to websites/content through the VPN

This isn't to say that you'll be totally protected. A VPN hides your IP, but the reason it's "more secure" is that all of the data being sent to and from your computer will be encrypted. So, when you download a file from MU or MF or a BT tracker, anyone that intercepts that transfer will just see.. gibberish, instead of exactly what you're downloading. If you're up to some seriously bad stuff, chances are that the VPN provider will hand your information over. But if you're just the average downloader, you're much less likely to be found out while using a VPN.
    Last edited by fataltea; 07-31-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Youko Nakajima (L3)Reiji GBF (L3)Sawamura Eijun (L6)
    N (L7)Draco Malfoy (L3)Law (L10)
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1

Oh! Thanks tbag!

And how much is considered average? I usually just download one huge chunk on the last day of billing cycle (when I leave dl manager on the whole day).

I'm not sure about their privacy policy but if I'm downloading/surfing through VPN from sites like MU or MF, they'll be logging the VPN-assigned IP, right? (if they keep download logs, that is) Which, I suppose, would lead back to me if both VPN & site receives a order to disclose info.

There are so many encryption types it makes my head spin.

Sleeping Beast

Savings

Gakupo V (L4)Conrad (L4)Heart 4 (Icy)
    Randy (L1)Ryuuki (L2)Star 1 (Yellow)
    Ryuuren (L4)Riki (L4)Pray for Japan
    I use TOR network, there is a very easy to use TOR client, a lot of nodes, you can hide your IP and force almost any process to connect trough it.
    It's portable, no installation needed. Advanced Onion Router | Download Advanced Onion Router software for free at SourceForge.net

flaming tbag!

Savings

Masamune (L10)Heart 3 (Pink)Yukimura SB (L10)
    Masamune (chibi) (L2)Yukimura Sanada (chibi) (L2)Kojuurou (chibi) (L2)
    Shiroyasha (L9)Fayt (L1)Steve Rogers (L9)

Quote Originally Posted by bowe View Post
    Oh! Thanks tbag!

And how much is considered average? I usually just download one huge chunk on the last day of billing cycle (when I leave dl manager on the whole day).

I'm not sure about their privacy policy but if I'm downloading/surfing through VPN from sites like MU or MF, they'll be logging the VPN-assigned IP, right? (if they keep download logs, that is) Which, I suppose, would lead back to me if both VPN & site receives a order to disclose info.

There are so many encryption types it makes my head spin.
    Nah, your level of downloading shouldn't raise any red flags, really. I've been a downloading monster for years and I only recently received a warning from my ISP. XD Of course, I'm not behind a VPN or anything. It's doubtful that a VPN would hand over your info for something like that, but really, it depends on the company in question.

And yes, when you're using any website, it will log your VPN IP. It shouldn't be able to see your originating IP at all.

Of course, Munemasa's suggestion is a good option, too. ^_^