aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1(S041) Izumi

Disabling Automatic Redirection for Firefox?

Hi~
    I use Opera sometimes and Opera has a built-in option where I can disable automatic redirection easily:

After I untick the box, pages can't redirect to other pages without my permission and I was wondering if I can use/there is a feature like this at Firefox too (without having to install an add-on).

I tried a few addons but they were all for resolving short urls or removing the referrers and such. Thanks for any suggestions.

flaming tbag!

Savings

Masamune (L10)Heart 3 (Pink)Yukimura SB (L10)
    Masamune (chibi) (L2)Yukimura Sanada (chibi) (L2)Kojuurou (chibi) (L2)
    Shiroyasha (L9)Fayt (L1)Steve Rogers (L9)

To accomplish this in Firefox.. I believe that you can use the config.

Open a new tab or window, and type "about:config" into the address bar (without the quotations)

Firefox will give you a warning about voiding your warranty - just hit the button to accept.

On the list that comes up, use the filter at the top and type in: network.http.redirection-limit

On the line that matches, change the "value" to 0.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Steve Rogers (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Tony Stark (L9)
    Iron Man (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Captain America (L9)
    Spacer 1Tony Stark (L10)Spacer 1

In your tools -> advance tab -> you can turn an option on that warns you whenever something tries to redirect you, comes witha cancel button as well I presume

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1

Quote Originally Posted by fataltea View Post
    To accomplish this in Firefox.. I believe that you can use the config.

Open a new tab or window, and type "about:config" into the address bar (without the quotations)

Firefox will give you a warning about voiding your warranty - just hit the button to accept.

On the list that comes up, use the filter at the top and type in: network.http.redirection-limit

On the line that matches, change the "value" to 0.
    Thank you! This works! However... when I do this the page is frozen still. There is not an option for me to allow or not (or even see) to where the page was supposed to go. What I mean is, I want to see/know the redirected site as in opera:

it shows me the link of the site I typed is redirected to.
    In this case
    Code:
    google.com
    >>>
    Code:
    www.google.com
    so if I click on the link I go there.

firefox:

it doesn't go anywhere.

I guess there is nothing in the middle for Firefox? ^^;
    I'm either redirected or not. Can't make the decision myself
    Thank you for the tip, I didn't know about those options

Quote Originally Posted by KarumA View Post
    In your tools -> advance tab -> you can turn an option on that warns you whenever something tries to redirect you, comes witha cancel button as well I presume
    Yes, I know about that option and it is already checked, but I don't think that it works o_O Thanks for the suggestion though
    Last edited by seres; 06-08-2011 at 05:22 PM.

flaming tbag!

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by seres View Post
    Thank you! This works! However... when I do this the page is frozen still. There is not an option for me to allow or not (or even see) to where the page was supposed to go. What I mean is, I want to see/know the redirected site as in opera

Ahhh, I see what you mean. Yes, setting the redirect value to 0 will prevent any type of auto redirect, so it would not be optimal in most cases.

Could you tell me, which version of Firefox you are running? And the reason behind why you are looking for a way to disable redirects. Knowing the reason should help me find a better solution.

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1

Ahhh, I see what you mean. Yes, setting the redirect value to 0 will prevent any type of auto redirect, so it would not be optimal in most cases.

Could you tell me, which version of Firefox you are running? And the reason behind why you are looking for a way to disable redirects. Knowing the reason should help me find a better solution.
    I'm using Firefox 3.6 (haven't upgraded to 4 because of some compatibility issues with a few crucial addons).
    The reason is there is a particular site I frequent, every time I open Firefox it tries to redirect(s) me to the index page from the page I was seeing last time. So I lost the page forever and I don't want to bookmark every single page I need to come back to ^^; since I have hundreds of bookmarks already XD
    To be more clear:

I'm seeing a webpage >>> I close firefox >>> I open firefox >>> all the webpages from my last time are there but that particular webpage is redirected to the site's index page (cookies are accepted and there are no other problems)

Thank you for any further suggestions <3
    Last edited by seres; 06-09-2011 at 03:21 AM.

flaming tbag!

Savings

Hmmm, well, I'm at a bit of a loss, there. When firefox reloads your previous session, it should only be loading from a cache or offline session of sorts. Without seeing the site in question, I can't be sure, but I almost think that perhaps what you need is an add-on to prevent pages from auto-refreshing. It could be a case where the site you are talking about has code in the header that automatically refreshes the page, and then from there, it follows a meta redirect to the site home.

IF the site you are using is auto-refreshing by META code, then you may want to try this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefo...ocker/?src=api

If that does not work for you, you might also try NoScript. This is a much more 'intrusive' addon, however, it can block javascript redirects and auto reloads, and has a built in whitelist so that you can still allow these things on trusted websites.

There are about:config options for auto-reload, however, I think that these make browsing quite difficult, as most websites utilize an auto-reload (such as banks, and shopping carts), and will no longer function correctly if they are disabled.

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1

Hmmm, well, I'm at a bit of a loss, there. When firefox reloads your previous session, it should only be loading from a cache or offline session of sorts. Without seeing the site in question, I can't be sure, but I almost think that perhaps what you need is an add-on to prevent pages from auto-refreshing. It could be a case where the site you are talking about has code in the header that automatically refreshes the page, and then from there, it follows a meta redirect to the site home.

IF the site you are using is auto-refreshing by META code, then you may want to try this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefo...ocker/?src=api

If that does not work for you, you might also try NoScript. This is a much more 'intrusive' addon, however, it can block javascript redirects and auto reloads, and has a built in whitelist so that you can still allow these things on trusted websites.

There are about:config options for auto-reload, however, I think that these make browsing quite difficult, as most websites utilize an auto-reload (such as banks, and shopping carts), and will no longer function correctly if they are disabled.
    That's a good idea! Disabling auto-refresh I mean. I don't really want to play with the config parts too much, I might end up messing everything up, but these addons are a great help, especially no script.
    Thank you very much for your suggestions

flaming tbag!

Savings

I'm glad that I could help at least a little bit. ^^; Hopefully Firefox will be fleshed out a bit more in that area in the near future.

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1

I wish Opera and Firefox had a baby It would be the greatest thing ever.
    I hope to see this option (disabling automatic redirection) in Firefox in the future too
    Thanks again for your help~