aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Midoriya Izuku (L3)Heart 5 (Red)Bakugou (L3)
    Nicolas Brown (L9)Heart 4 (Icy)Alex Benedetto (L8)
    Luffy (L9)Heart 2 (Red)Zoro (L10)

Sound Card Help?

Alright, so...

My computer is being repaired, so I'm borrowing one from my cousin. However, the computer does not have sound. After realizing it wasn't my speakers that were the problem, I now assume it has to do with the sound card. She said these computers were reset before? So I don't know if that has something to do with it...

Anyway. I tried to figure out what type of sound card this computer had but no data showed up when I looked in the system information. I'm not quite sure what that means...that it doesn't have one? Then... can I download the driver or does she need to have to take it in and have one placed in manually?

And if I can solve the problem on my own... how? When I don't know what driver it needs.

It's an HP running Windows XP.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Roxas (L4)Batman (L1)Kakashi (L10)
    (S010) JokerButters (L4)Quatre (L6)
    Muraki (L8)Iruka (L8)Edward (L5)

I'm not sure if I understand what your cousin means but she means there is no audio device? You can figure this out by opening the Sounds and Audio Device Properties window from Control Panel . The audio features would be unavailable and the text "No audio Device" would be shown.

Is that what you get? You can enable that if that's the case.

Also, if you can't tell what you have, it's something like Creative Audigy or Realtek Audio Codec software. Open Device Manager again and look in the Sound, Video and Game controller are. It should have the brand name there?

And yes, you can download it if you need it. You go to one of the manufacturing sites HERE .

Here is another link that elaborates on what I was saying: No Audio Device in Windows XP - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

In Legacy Audio Drivers? Is that the brand name? Sorry, if my questions seem a little stupid. I'm not as techy as I'd like to be. xD;

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Steve Rogers (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Tony Stark (L9)
    Iron Man (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Captain America (L9)
    Spacer 1Tony Stark (L10)Spacer 1

Quote Originally Posted by Otaru Sushi View Post
    In Legacy Audio Drivers? Is that the brand name? Sorry, if my questions seem a little stupid. I'm not as techy as I'd like to be. xD;
    No, that i not the brand name

This is for example my device control, the blue is my sound card

device control -> right click my computer -> click properties -> opens a new screen, look for the tab Hardware -> the first button in the list ought to be named like device control or something

edit:

another way to figure out your soundcard if you can't come out of it, al though it isn't used for these cases it is easy to figure out your parts this way

http://svc.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/

The Can you run it? website, you select a game and the site calculates your hardware to give you a result on whether or not you can run it. It will list your graphics, soundcard, everything.

Anyway go there if you can't figure it out, select a random game and press the button.

It will go to a screen with a bar named Installing components, if it doesn't load through to the next page press F5 to refresh (resend the info if that pop up comes up) and it will change to analyzing components and then will show you a long list on whether or not you pass

just look for the one named sound card and there you have it
    Last edited by KarumA; 09-01-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Yaoi Expert

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)(S019) TinkleWing 1 (Right)
    Spacer 1Heart 4 (Rainbow)Spacer 1
    Luffy (L10)Sanji (L9)Ace (L10)

It's an HP but which model? With this information you can get the name of your sound card by a fast internet search and download the drivers directly from their site.
    In this case, you should see in Control Panel some hardware that wasn't recognized, marked by a yellow exclamation point. One of them is probably your sound card.

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Hello!
    I'm sorry for leaving you all hanging on this situation. I kind of forgot about it. D:

I didn't solve the problem with the sound card, however, it seems like my cousin is having someone look at it. Hopefully, they can fix it.

Thank you all for offering help on this matter. <3

Yaoi Lover
    Savings

Naruto (L9)Neji (L2)Sai (L6)
    Suigetsu (L4)Naruto (L1)Kiba (L5)
    Sasuke (L1)
    There's a good possibility that PC has on-board sound, meaning, the "sound card" is built into the motherboard as opposed to a separate card installed in a PCI slot. Maybe check the motherboard BIOS settings (when the PC is first started up, hold either the DEL or F1 key) and in there you can check to see if the on-board sound is enabled.