aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Kurogane (L10)Nezumi (L8)Kotetsu (L2)
    Fye (L10)Sion (L4)Barnaby (L2)
    Asano Katsuya (L9)Germany (L1)Italy (L3)

Subtitles on ConvertXtoDVD

(I'm not sure I should be posting this here, since it's not really about any AF Files. If so, feel free to lock this thread and I do apologise)

I've recently started to burn myself some DVDs so that I can watch anime on my TV using the program ConvertXtoDVD 5. I've noticed that the subtitles appear different on my TV than on the PC. For exemple, when I'm watching on my PC they look way better, they have cool colors, nice size... While on my tv is simple white bulky words... But that didn't bother me, I could still watch it just fine. But this weekend I burned a copy of Tiger & Bunny and lots of time the subs would just not appear. Everytime other words were running through the botton of the screen (those who've watched it know that happens a lot, especially when the 'news' are on) or when two people were talking at the same time, only one of the dialogues would show.

My question is, is there a way to make the subs look exactly the same as the original file or should I just download videos with hardsubs (I actually do prefer those, but they keep getting harder and harder to find...)?

Sleeping Beast

Savings

Gakupo V (L4)Conrad (L4)Heart 4 (Icy)
    Randy (L1)Ryuuki (L2)Star 1 (Yellow)
    Ryuuren (L4)Riki (L4)Pray for Japan
    I don't think there's a way to make subs look nice, the home DVD devices are too limited and not as useful as computers.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

You can always make your own hardsubbed files from the softsubs. As Munemasa says, the unstyled fonts and other problems that you're seeing are due to the limitations of standalone DVD players, and burning the subs in is the only way to get around them.

Alternatively, find a way to hook your computer up to the TV directly and skip the DVD stage—many recent video cards have HDMI outputs.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Wakasa (L4)Abel (L1)Minami Kenjirou (L8)
    (Event) Forum - Ritsuka Uenoyama(S078) Doumeki (chibi)(S077) Yashiro (chibi)
    MoonlightHamletAtsushi (Tiger)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuu_chan View Post
    (I'm not sure I should be posting this here, since it's not really about any AF Files. If so, feel free to lock this thread and I do apologise)

I've recently started to burn myself some DVDs so that I can watch anime on my TV using the program ConvertXtoDVD 5. I've noticed that the subtitles appear different on my TV than on the PC. For exemple, when I'm watching on my PC they look way better, they have cool colors, nice size... While on my tv is simple white bulky words... But that didn't bother me, I could still watch it just fine. But this weekend I burned a copy of Tiger & Bunny and lots of time the subs would just not appear. Everytime other words were running through the botton of the screen (those who've watched it know that happens a lot, especially when the 'news' are on) or when two people were talking at the same time, only one of the dialogues would show.

My question is, is there a way to make the subs look exactly the same as the original file or should I just download videos with hardsubs (I actually do prefer those, but they keep getting harder and harder to find...)?
    there is only one way and sometimes that will not work either...I know from experience..
    you'll need to hard sub the subtitle track onto your video....then burn your files for your dvd....most often they'll end up looking the very same as they did on your PC

....but there are also times the dvd player will display your 'hardsub' in the universal default of Arial Black(font) and with just the outline black and the lettering filled white or the very "old school" yellow...I have just recently encountered this oddity ..but the subs remain clean and more than readable

I don't actually know how often you'll encounter this weirdness though...most files now on the net are 'soft-subbed' ...only a few subbers actually use hard-subs on their files....you can look for Mp4's they usually have the subs hardsubbed...quite a few series are in that format and convertxtodvd supports them