aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Togainu no Chi Loading Choices Problem

So I've completely played through Togainu already, I only ran into the Windows update problem awhile back but it was fine after that. Though, now when I try to load a choice file (It loads files in the middle of text just fine) do I get this:
    Hmm.jpgHmm2.jpg
    The second pic is after I click 'Abort'

I thought maybe the save file just corrupted and I'd have to save a new one, but when I went the long way around from the beginning of the game the choice wouldn't load at all, so I can't move on.

I also tried taking out comm99.txt, save99.dat, and save99 (doesn't have file extension), in case just those were messed up but the game just created new ones with the same error. :/

For the common questions: I have Windows 7, and I didn't save Togainu in the original Nitro+Chiral folder but in it's own folder in my 'General' library which is connected to 'Music.' Also, I have the no-disk .exe but I got it after I got this problem because I thought it might help but it didn't.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by winterlion View Post
    So I've completely played through Togainu already, I only ran into the Windows update problem awhile back but it was fine after that. Though, now when I try to load a choice file (It loads files in the middle of text just fine) do I get this:
    Hmm.jpgHmm2.jpg
    The second pic is after I click 'Abort'

I thought maybe the save file just corrupted and I'd have to save a new one, but when I went the long way around from the beginning of the game the choice wouldn't load at all, so I can't move on.

I also tried taking out comm99.txt, save99.dat, and save99 (doesn't have file extension), in case just those were messed up but the game just created new ones with the same error. :/

For the common questions: I have Windows 7, and I didn't save Togainu in the original Nitro+Chiral folder but in it's own folder in my 'General' library which is connected to 'Music.' Also, I have the no-disk .exe but I got it after I got this problem because I thought it might help but it didn't.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Never had this error. Wait for Kojichan to translate it. Meanwhile, I'll try to help to the best of my abilities. Have you tried running as Administrator under Windows XP Service Pack 3 Compatibility mode?

You've targeted the wrong files, I guess. It's actually save.dat (no numbers) and that is the data file in how the game tracks your progress through routes (like which endings you got etc). It is not a save file of the game.

I dunno if its corrupted or just that Windows is preventing access to the file.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Thanks for that, I tried compatibility and administration mode but it didn't help.

You've targeted the wrong files, I guess. It's actually save.dat (no numbers) and that is the data file in how the game tracks your progress through routes (like which endings you got etc). It is not a save file of the game.

I dunno if its corrupted or just that Windows is preventing access to the file.
    Oh, I missed that but it's actually changed a couple times. I think when I first got the error it was save99.dat and then when I took out the files I missed comm99.txt so it told me that one instead. After taking out all 3 it tells me save.dat.

Edit: I took out the save folder and that got it to work, though it means playing through the entire game again.
    I've no idea what caused it to show up in the first place either
    Last edited by winterlion; 03-19-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)Shou (L5)Wing 1 (Right)
    Kid (L2)Shinichi (L1)Kai (L5)
    Origami (L4)Yosuke P4 (L1)Subaru Sumeragi (L3)
    Quote Originally Posted by monokuroe View Post
    Never had this error. Wait for Kojichan to translate it.
    It's really not exciting.
    It honestly just says that it can't open that save file. ^^;;

Quote Originally Posted by winterlion View Post
    Thanks for that, I tried compatibility and administration mode but it didn't help.

Oh, I missed that but it's actually changed a couple times. I think when I first got the error it was save99.dat and then when I took out the files I missed comm99.txt so it told me that one instead. After taking out all 3 it tells me save.dat.

Edit: I took out the save folder and that got it to work, though it means playing through the entire game again.
    I've no idea what caused it to show up in the first place either

Yeah, the game is having problems opening the files to write data to them. A few possibilities that come to mind are...

#1, Antivirus programs. They tend to lock files in use to scan them. Sometimes they forget to open them, or just don't, ever.

#2, the file was marked as "Read Only" somewhere along the lines... This literally could be done by anything, so you can't pinpoint one thing exactly. Sometimes Torrents, sometimes Antivirus, sometimes Windows itself.

#3, the folder the game is in is a "special" folder, like the C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder, or other.

Here's something to consider... The "Library" area is actually not in a folder called "C:\Library\" or anything like that... It's actually just a "shortcut" that lists other folders.

For example, my personal Music Library section contains three "locations". A location is actually the real folder where the files are. I can see what they are by going into the Library section I want, and clicking on the blue link at the top named "Includes: 3 locations".

I got:
    C:\Users\Crystal\Music\
    C:\Users\Public\Music\
    F:\Music\

Open up your General Library section, and let us know which folder Togainu no Chi is ACTUALLY installed into. ^^

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Oh, I got it now! Togainu doesn't like being hidden. The message changed because after Togainu replaced the files I took out they were no longer hidden, so it moved on to the errors for the files it needed that were hidden. I know Lamento doesn't like being hidden either, but I think DMMD and Sweet Pool play fine so I didn't think about it for Togainu.

Though for your other questions, #2- I can't get the Save folder to not be Read-Only. After I turn it off and click 'Ok' not 'Apply' it just goes back to being Read-Only.
    And for #3 I get this when I open the link in my General folder:
    general.jpg
    C:/users/judi/music/general
    So I think it's ok? (Though I just noticed it shows up in Documents too , though the library's locations connect back don't they? Videos has 8 locations and I think that includes everything above it)

Anyway,thanks for the help!
    Last edited by winterlion; 03-19-2016 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added things

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)Shou (L5)Wing 1 (Right)
    Kid (L2)Shinichi (L1)Kai (L5)
    Origami (L4)Yosuke P4 (L1)Subaru Sumeragi (L3)
    The C:\Users\(Username)\ folder is most likely showing up in your Documents as well, because it's a general folder storing all your user stuff for your account. Downloads, Documents, Music, Favourites, Desktop... They're all in there. ^^

And, yeah. Hiding a file renders stuff being unable to use it, because the game cannot "find" the file, either. ^_~ It's an older game, so it most likely is a different way of "checking if a file exists", so if a file is hidden, it won't find it.

If you cannot take off the "read-only" off square from the folder, don't worry about the folder. Mine's like that, too. It's the files inside that shouldn't be "read-only". Go into the folder, select ALL the files, then right-click and select "properties". Make sure the "Read-only" box doesn't have any check or block inside. Then it should be good.

So yeah... If you're hiding your files to avoid prying eyes, you may have to find a different folder where you can put the game, without resorting to hiding it. Unless you're fine leaving it there. ^^ Just make sure the game folder isn't hidden.