aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Question .nss format. how to translate the DRAMAtical Murder? [ENG->RUS]

Okay guys, after several days of searching I have read a lot of articles and etc... as I understand ".nss" format it is text + script? and if I want to translate the novel I need to translate what is contained within ".nss"? how to do it?or what programs are need? ^^
    I will be glad for your help :33

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)Shou (L5)Wing 1 (Right)
    Kid (L2)Shinichi (L1)Kai (L5)
    Origami (L4)Yosuke P4 (L1)Subaru Sumeragi (L3)
    Firstly, you should ask the original English translation team if you can use their scripts as a basis for your translation. ^^ Better ask permission, first!

----

An awesome tool to help you edit script files:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Free, and very easy to use. Works great, mucho better than plain old Notepad, and NEVER use Wordpad/Word to edit text scripts. It helps because some text files still save with extra file data that can crash stuff if you're not careful, and then you'll have a dickens of a time trying to figure out what went wrong.

----

Anywho...

The *.NSS files are, as you've guessed, the script files for Nitroplus games. (Nitro Script)

It's actual code that the game uses to run, and each file is essentially a "Scene". Most of the script you should leave untouched, even if there is Japanese inside as they link to files and names of other important code.

If you use Notepad++, open an *.NSS file, and then click on the menu labelled "Encoding", find "Character sets", then select "Japanese" and "Shift-JIS". This way you can see things a bit easier (even if you're translating from English). You might have to have your System Locale set to Japanese, I don't really know as my computer has Japanese set 24/7. o_O;;

Scripts that have translatable text will contain lines of code that look like this:

Code:
    <PRE @box0>
    [text0010]
    <voice name="NAME" class="NAME" src="voice/dm00/2000310a01">
    (Blah blah 1)

(Blah blah 2)
    </PRE>
    The <voice> one only shows up in boxes that have voice scripts attached, otherwise they won't be there.
    Simply change the (Blah blah) parts, and NAMES if applicable (Non-named NPC's for example).

If there is a blank line after a line of text (EX, between Blah 1 and Blah 2 above), that means it will be written when the user hits ENTER or clicks the mouse. So each line will show up after eachother.

Because Japanese Kanji originally doesn't need to worry about cutting the middle of words for line-wrapping issues, they just keep going. You'll have to add your own spaces after words to give the impression of proper line-wrapping, I think.

If you need to write more text to a line than can fit in a text box on screen, I believe you can enter a blank line and just add more text.

Whatever you do, don't change the [text0010] ID tags, or anything else.

Uhm... I think that's it...? Save the file and compile and give it a shot? Keep backups, just in case!

I honestly don't know if this works straight out of the box, as I heard the English translation had a lot of hiccups in the process.. Might have to do with the " quotes, as they're actual code in a script sometimes. Maybe you can contact the original team as well to find out how they did it? Or look at the English scripts.

I'm just looking at the Japanese ones, myself... Sorry!
    Last edited by Kojichan; 07-23-2015 at 08:05 AM.