Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Yaoi Devotee

Savings

MogChocoboMoogle
    SadaharuElizabethTotoro
    HibirdAsami (L10)Snow (L9)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai-kun View Post
    Why is that?
    The reason we're subbing is so that fans can have access to the anime without waiting for companies to pick it up and sub/dub it, which is a very long process. We strongly suggests that fans, if you are truly a fan, you will BUY something from the source to support the industry for current and future releases once it is licensed. I think we need to reflect on what exactly is the purpose of fansubbing and be happy when something is licensed.
    I agree with you, although with some reservations. I love it when manga I love gets licensed so I'll have the opportunity to buy it, nothing beats the real thing. With anime I'm ambivalent though since it's usually US liscenses and there's the whole issue of region codes on DVD's

I hate region codes. Where I live it's hard to get dvdplayers or computers that are region free, practically impossible, which means I never can buy or watch the animes once they're liscensed...
    So unless it's region free when finally released it's a sad day for the rest of us outside the US in the same situation as me.

darkparagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai-kun View Post
    Why is that?
    The reason we're subbing is so that fans can have access to the anime without waiting for companies to pick it up and sub/dub it, which is a very long process. We strongly suggests that fans, if you are truly a fan, you will BUY something from the source to support the industry for current and future releases once it is licensed. I think we need to reflect on what exactly is the purpose of fansubbing and be happy when something is licensed.
    A postively delightful belitting replay! One certainly does have to love it!

Well of cause you should recommend people buying it! Who said anything, about not buying it! All I said people would be down hearted, which is the case with most anime when it becomes liceniced for whatever reason! Does not implay I was telling people not to buy it! However thank you for your time, in replaying to me personally my dear! I will certainly keep it in mind, and "reflect" on it in the future!

Have a pleasent and happy day!
    Last edited by darkparagon; 08-30-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Yaoi Fan

Savings

Kenshin (L8)Iwaki (L6)Katou (L6)
    Soubi (L9)Takumi (L8)Iason (L4)
    Usami (L2)Hiko Seijuro (L10)Shigure FB (L5)
    I’m always happy to hear a yaoi title got licence. With US companies picking up all the recent yaoi titles it gives Japanese companies more incentive to make more yaoi. Anything that helps to create more yaoi anime has to be a good thing. Regardless of the sub/dub quality it makes me feel good to be able to buy a yaoi title and support the industry if only indirectly through R1 companies instead of only leeching from it.

Isan
    That's sort of an old news but anyway, while it is licensed, it currently has no US distributor as well. That means we don't know when or who will do it at the moment

Extreme Yaoi Guru
    Savings

Tohru (L5)Iwaki (L9)Yoshinaga Koushi (L7)
    Mutsumi (L8)Katou (L9)Tomohiro Shiraishi (L5)
    Akihito (L9)(S034) AsamiHeart 6 (Devil)

Quote Originally Posted by sommar View Post
    I agree with you, although with some reservations. I love it when manga I love gets licensed so I'll have the opportunity to buy it, nothing beats the real thing. With anime I'm ambivalent though since it's usually US liscenses and there's the whole issue of region codes on DVD's

I hate region codes. Where I live it's hard to get dvdplayers or computers that are region free, practically impossible, which means I never can buy or watch the animes once they're liscensed...
    So unless it's region free when finally released it's a sad day for the rest of us outside the US in the same situation as me.
    ok, let me ask this because i am still a total n00b when it comes to region codes.

if a product is made available on amaz0n - just for example, i don't know any other major distributor though there may be - is it still regional-encoded?!! i mean, if i am able to buy it in europe, but not from a distributor in my country (since there's about none, yet) - i could end up with a non-usable dvd?!

is that legal? demanding one to buy and yet using region codes sounds rather fishy.

and btw, if an anime is licensed / distributed by a certain company, that doesn't distribute itself nor has distribution contracts with an in-country company, and the only way to get that anime is to buy internationally, does that mean the said anime is still licensed in my country?

... i've read the text of the law (my country's laws) and it's specifically mentioned - "usage of a product made / bought by contract to be distributed" is protected... does it mean it's ok for me to have fansubs of unlicensed (internally) anime?

fansubbing aside, once US gets a license, the rest of the world pretty much waits for it, even if there's not going to be a distribution / accessible source for that title, in another countries. strangely, other-than-english-fansubs go on with no problems.

fansubbers (i assume you know more than a lot of us about this): is there some international law that protects US licenses, or UK licenses, or UE licenses and whatever licenses, against use in countries they don't geographically/politically cover?!

scary momma set addict

Savings

Shihoudani (L4)Illumi (L9)Makishima Yuusuke (L7)
    Kasamatsu (L7)Masrur (L8)Hiko Seijuro (L10)
    Suzuya Jūzō (L8)(S046) Kogitsunemaru(S064) Toono Takashi

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    ok, let me ask this because i am still a total n00b when it comes to region codes.

if a product is made available on amaz0n - just for example, i don't know any other major distributor though there may be - is it still regional-encoded?!! i mean, if i am able to buy it in europe, but not from a distributor in my country (since there's about none, yet) - i could end up with a non-usable dvd?!
    If it was made in the US it will have a region 1 coding. If it is region 1, then it will only play on region 1 dvd players (US players) if it has region 0 it will usually play on any player. Almost all bootlegs I've seen have been region 0 so they can be sold anywhere. Europe is region 2.

But to make it a bit simplier, US uses NTSC (region 1) while Europe uses PAL (region 2), which the product details should have listed if it is NTSC or PAL. so if your player will only play PAL then you cannot use it for NTSC, but there are PAL/NTSC converters that can be used so you can view both.

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    and btw, if an anime is licensed / distributed by a certain company, that doesn't distribute itself nor has distribution contracts with an in-country company, and the only way to get that anime is to buy internationally, does that mean the said anime is still licensed in my country?

... i've read the text of the law (my country's laws) and it's specifically mentioned - "usage of a product made / bought by contract to be distributed" is protected... does it mean it's ok for me to have fansubs of unlicensed (internally) anime?

fansubbing aside, once US gets a license, the rest of the world pretty much waits for it, even if there's not going to be a distribution / accessible source for that title, in another countries. strangely, other-than-english-fansubs go on with no problems.

fansubbers (i assume you know more than a lot of us about this): is there some international law that protects US licenses, or UK licenses, or UE licenses and whatever licenses, against use in countries they don't geographically/politically cover?!
    I'm not positive, but as far as I've seen, I think its a matter of the country's copyright laws where the product was originally produced and/or the country that has the license. I assume its the country that has the license that enforces it since when I travel to other countries I see A LOT more bootlegs for sale of items that are licensed in the US but not in that country.
    Last edited by cabbit_girl; 09-12-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Isan
    @noone: You have to understand that when the US acquire licensing rights, they have those right for North America (and well wherever else is considered US territories) only. As such, the format for this part of the world is NTSC (along with Japan) while Europe is PAL. So if you buy a dvd from Amazon.com that comes from a US company, it will be in NTSC.
    You can always check this in the product's description. Regions are the same, like I said, if you buy something from a US company it will be in Region 1 (NTSC), meaning that yes the dvd will not play on a regular dvd from countries outside the region zone.
    Depending on the product the company might also release an Euro version in PAL.
    There are ways to go around this of course, mainly a dvd player drive on your computer is always region free so you're able to play dvds from other regions.

(See the wikipedia article at the end for the purpose behind region coding)

What I suggest you do when buying from whichever amazon you use, is checking the format and region coding before you get it, here's an example:

Product Details for Sukisho DVD 1 on Amazon.com (US)

* Actors: Sukisho
    * Format: Animated, Color, Dubbed, DVD-Video, Subtitled, NTSC
    * Language: Japanese
    * Subtitles: English
    * Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
    * Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
    * Number of discs: 1
    * Rating:
    * Studio: Anime Works
    * DVD Release Date: October 11, 2005
    * Run Time: 125 minutes

If your DVD player is in PAL (another Region code) and you were to buy this, it would not play. Though some parts of NZ and Australia have region free dvds as part of their law.

If you check this same product on Amazon UK, it says plainly "Sukisho, Vol. 1: Can't Stop Loving You [2005] (REGION 1) (NTSC)" There's also a note besides the region code "Region: Region 1 (US and Canada This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries.)"

That means a PAL version is not available and what you see are imports.

Now for your other questions:

is that legal? demanding one to buy and yet using region codes sounds rather fishy.
    *I won't get into this issue since it's a constant argument in certain countries where they do believe Region codes go against their law.

*Like I mentioned earlier unless the anime is licensed in your own country, than no, it's not licensed for you. So if you're talking about US companies licenses, provided you are outside of NA and others US territories, again then it's not licensed for you.

does it mean it's ok for me to have fansubs of unlicensed (internally) anime?
    *Fansubs are never okay. They are mostly (though not recently) tolerated by japanese companies because they are non-profitable.

once US gets a license, the rest of the world pretty much waits for it, even if there's not going to be a distribution / accessible source for that title, in another countries. strangely, other-than-english-fansubs go on with no problems.
    *That's because the US has no rights on languages other than it's own, which is english.

As for the rest I suggest reading this article, it should answer any other questions -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_codes
    Last edited by Isan; 09-12-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Extreme Yaoi Guru
    Savings

Tohru (L5)Iwaki (L9)Yoshinaga Koushi (L7)
    Mutsumi (L8)Katou (L9)Tomohiro Shiraishi (L5)
    Akihito (L9)(S034) AsamiHeart 6 (Devil)

you just saved me 120 usd (which is a huge sum to spend at once for me - edit:i get a monthly 300 usd-equivalent. just for scale). i was thinking about buying a R1 NTSC (there was a red warning sign on the anime set, that i would've walked right by, because i had no idea what it meant and didn't want to google etc) - my dvd player is pal/secam progressive (i always thought it had to do with color settings, stupid uninterested to know more, me.)
    i don't want to watch anime on my computer, i want to be able to relax and don't ruin my eyes on it.

oh damn... so if there's no region-2 dvd, i have to get a converter too - and that probably works only on computers. double damn.

well, it was worth knowing. i'll be careful in the future. thanks!
    Last edited by noone; 09-12-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Kuroko (L3)Ban (L1)Lancer (L7)
    Iason (L9)Riki (L9)Sion (L4)
    Sora (L6)Hibari (L2)Tsuna (L3)
    what is the post from IIR in direct download???

Yaoi Expert

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)(S019) TinkleWing 1 (Right)
    Spacer 1Heart 4 (Rainbow)Spacer 1
    Luffy (L10)Sanji (L9)Ace (L10)

Quote Originally Posted by Loure185 View Post
    what is the post from IIR in direct download???
    IIR is licensed and forbidden to share.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast